Whole Grain Unhulled Hemp Seeds

I saw the difficulty people were having chewing unhulled hemp seeds, so I though I would share our way. This will be an experiment for you as I don't know the source of your hemp seeds, so I am suggesting you start out with 1 Tablespoon.  I use Biona Organic brand from Amazon.

Take 1 T of seeds and put in quart jar. (If you have a screened jar, like for growing sprouts, it will work perfectly.

Add about a 1/2 to a cup of water. Put on lid. Set on counter. Wait 12 hours.

12 hours later the shells will be soften and they will be easier to chew, so drain, rinse, drain and eat.

To grow Sprouts-in this care grow just until they show a tiny tail, not more than 1/4 inch long. So it is not really a sprout. I  call it a SpRoot.(R)

Continue to keep the seeds in the jar, rinse and drain  2 times a day, until the tails show on most of them. You have a SpRoot. It only takes a few days.

I forgot to rinse one night and they did just fine.

We eat the whole thing, as it would be silly to try to take the hull off since it is full of nutritional goodies.

Once you know your brand of unhulled, whole grain hemp seeds are viable (meaning they will SpRoot) you can increase the amount you SpRoot.

Just wanted to share this. You can still use these in smoothies, milk, salads, snacks, etc., they are just a live food now. 

Diane

ClaireT

Comments

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

I'm going to try this! It's a good idea. Live foods are what keep us living.