Is bagged salads raw vegan?

I was wondering if bagged salads are raw vegan, because I know that bagged peas and corn are not raw vegan because they are blanched. 

Best Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master
    Answer ✓

Now you've got me wondering what they could possibly be doing to the lettuce. undecided

• Harmony1Harmony1 Raw Superstar
    Answer ✓

I'm guilty of using it on occasion. I think it may vary from brand to brand.  

Answers

• Angie2Angie2 Raw Jr. Leader

Frozen veggies get blanched so they don't get weird in the freezer. Heating salad greens makes them soggy/mushy, and there's no reason to do that. Chopped bagged lettuce, broccoli, etc. have been washed in chemicals that preserve them longer. So they're not perfect, but definitely raw.

ClaireT
    edited October 29
    Angie2 said:

Frozen veggies get blanched so they don't get weird in the freezer. Heating salad greens makes them soggy/mushy, and there's no reason to do that. Chopped bagged lettuce, broccoli, etc. have been washed in chemicals that preserve them longer. So they're not perfect, but definitely raw.

I hadn't even thought about what they could be washing them in. It's always a chore to wash already chopped veggies but I guess they require extra diligence to remove any residue. 

That actually got me thinking. Does anyone wash frozen veggies?

TammiTrue
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master
    ClaireT said:

That actually got me thinking. Does anyone wash frozen veggies?

This whole topic has made me decide something. I'm never going to buy pre-frozen veggies again. That way, I'll at least know they were truly cleaned (by me) before freezing.