Serving Sizes

Do any of you measure your servings out for things like nut/seed pates, or other high fat foods? I generally get a rough idea and overestimate when logging my intake [i usually just write it in a journal, i rarely calculate calories] but I try to measure calorie dense foods. I for some reason decided to use fitday today, and I guessed on how much of a sunflower seed pate i used when i made these little spinach leaves stuffed with that and cilantro, and it came out to be 616 calories and 54 grams of fat for just the sunflower seeds! Now, fitday doesn’t have a ‘pate’ thing in its database, so i just used the sunflower seed one which probably isn’t right. It had to be maybe 1/2 -1/3 of a cup.. But I don’t recall exactly how much. I should have put it into a measuring cup first. I do soak nuts and seeds before i consume them. I think i’m just rambling now, but I’m trying to find a good serving size or advice for these foods..

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I find that with fat I can only eat so much of it in one meal and then I have to stop, like it justs stops being appetising. I prefer this method to measuring it out, because the amount my body wants changes every day.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I am not measuring now like I used to. If my weight goes up or I stop losing I will get militant about it again. On caloriecount.about.com they have a recipe calculator that will calculate everything. I am trying to eat fairly small amounts of the nut based things, but they are so good it is difficult. I just made my first batch of flax crackers and had a heck of a time stopping! I had a fresh batch of guac and OMG it was wonderful! Cooked food rarely tastes this good!I also don’t know what soaking does to the calories-probably nothing, but it increases the size so less calories per 1/4 cup.I eat the vast majority of my calories at lunch I am trying to divide things out better but I’m only successful a couple days per week. On cooked food though I would be tired and miserably full all afternoon but with the raw food this doesn’t happen at all. I have very good energy. As I progress along I will probably calculate recipe total calories just so I’ll know. I’ve done this for so long it’s hard not to!

• I understood that when you soak/germinate the seeds/nuts, that their properties change. If a seed turns into a sprout, the nutritional value, calorie and fat content will change. Right?

• That’s what i thought fuzzywuzzy [by the way, your kittie is cute. I have a cat named Chloe who is all black and generally has that same sarcastic expression on her face. Cats are so great!]

There MUST be a computer guru here who wants to make a raw foodist’s fitday! CMON!!!!!!!!! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

I am just getting discouraged because it seems like the minute I a meal with some pate or sprouted quinoa or anything the like it immedately jumps my caloric intake by literally hundreds and hundreds of calories!~and i’m not really going THAT overboard with the servings.. like the other day I had maybe 1/3 of a cup of pate [maybe densely packed ;) ] and last night i had about a 1/2 cup of sprouted quinoa in a fantastic salad.. and the quinoa [according to fitday] was 638 BLOODY CALORIES! aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Discourging… . :(

• Mango woman, I definitely count calories. What I have found helps when having high calorie fats is not having too many in one meal. For example, I wouldn’t have flax crackers and pate. I would have a dip that didn’t include copious amounts of fat. I would also put tons of veggies in my crackers to mitigate the fat content. I would also put high calorie/high fat pates on collard leaves. Hope that helps.