Winter is coming... Dry is coming!

Hello beautiful people,

As winter is approaching, so is dry, and itchy skin. Our skin is made up of lipids (fats) that keeps our skin cell bind together. When this protective barrier gets damaged, it creates small, invisible cracks in the skin where irritants can enter easily and moisture will also escape quickly.

A range of variables, including the environment and certain medical conditions, can contribute to dry skin.
But the vast majority of cases can be treated with self-care.

By the way, my name is Riza. I'm from Canada, a certified organic skincare formulator who also happens to have sensitive, itchy, and dry skin.

In dealing with this issue, hydration from the inside out is vital. Drink plenty of water, use warm (not hot) water in the shower and limit bath time, apply lotion or moisturizer while your skin is damp, and most especially, use a humidifier.

Be sure to avoid these things too:

- using a harsh cleanser
- washing too often
- exfoliating too much
- using the wrong moisturizer for your skin type

Just a friendly reminder, hope these help :)

Ask me any questions about dry skin. I'll be glad to answer.

ClaireT

Comments

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Welcome to the community! 

What's the best thing for dry skin that is also prone to getting clogged pores?

I feel like I'm always dealing with one or the other, but both...not even possible. 

• rizbeaurizbeau Raw Newbie

Thank you ClaireT :)

First, use a gentle cleanser (non-foaming) like the one from cerave, i love their hydrating cleanser because it has ceramides.

Then, to clear out blackheads and maintain clear pores, exfoliate 1-2x per week with AHA (eg.lactic acid) and BHA (salicylic acid). I suggest you apply this only to the targeted area like the nose.

Next, use a hydrating serum. Look for humectants such as hyaluronic acid and glycerin. Make sure you apply this while your skin is still damp. These ingredients draw moisture from the air and bind into your skin.

Next, you'll want to trap that moisture with a moisturizer. My personal preference is moisturizers with great occlusive ings. like shea butter and ceramides.

PS. If you're using face oils, make sure to choose the ones with a low comedogenic rating (0-2) like jojoba oil, sunflower oil, argan oil. These oils won't clog your pores. The oils with high ratings that potentially clog pores are coconut oil, olive oil, cocoa butter.

Hope these help :)