Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Toothpaste

Just wondering what toothpaste everyone uses? I am trying to find a good brand that is available in a store. I don’t want to have to purchase it online, if possible. Thanks!

Comments

• I make my own, my general recipe is 1 Tbsp. Baking Soda to 1 tsp. of sea salt. I occasionally add essential oil; peppermint or lavendar. Here’s a site, haven’t been there in a while… www.Mizars5.com/toothpst.html they give other recipes.

• I use Trader Joe’s peppermint toothpaste (contains baking soda & fluoride). Are there any “raw” issues concerning toothpaste that I should be aware of?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

There was a thread about this already in the Other section. Lots of helpful tips:

http://www.goneraw.com/forums/6/topics/858

• I make my own for and use it in the morning for whitening purposes and in the evening I use Trader Joe’s fennel toothpaste (which doesn’t have flouride in it…flouride is bad for your body). My homemade paste is baking soda, salt, and a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide (to whiten). Hope this helps.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I just listened to a cd that said that fluoride is an end waste product from aluminum plants (factories) and should be avoided at all cost. My dermatologist just told me that she’s seen so many skin problems occuring lately from toothpastes that have fluoride in them or tarter control or whiteners. Avoid these if you can…

• I agree with Sky Princess and rawmama…fluoride that is added to toothpaste may not be good for you. It is a waste by-product that is used in toothpastes as a gimmick.

I use Weleda salt toothpaste with baking soda..very refreshing!! Whole Foods sells it.

Don’t forget to avoid toothpastes with SLS in it too! Some “natural” toothpastes have it unfortunately.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

ugh they want to put flouride in our water here in SD they said it will be a month or so as the system still has bugs in it does anyone know a great water filter??? (other than brita, which i have)

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i just read something really creepy about flouride, that it is stored in your pineal gland! doctors have autopsied corpses and found ridiculous concentrations of it in that gland. flouride is in tap water in the u.s. filter your water at the very least, or better yet buy distilled water. (or buy a water distiller and do it yourself) definately don’t buy toothpaste with it. unfortuneately, alot of natural brands like “tom’s” have flouride. i use vicco,its herbal, ayurvedic, no flouride.

• I use something called Thera Neem. I love it but as soon as it runs out I’m just gonna make my own. I don’t think its worth buying tooth paste when its so easy to make it.

Still working on mouthwash though, lol…

• I stopped using toothpaste a few months ago. I just use a wet toothbrush and it works fine for me. I also only brush one time a day as I prefer not to brush away the enamel of my teeth especially when I don’t feel the need for it.

• katie, i was watching “Mythbusters” the other nite, it’s on discovery i think, they were busting the mouthwash myth and came to the conclusion that a good gin or vodka does a better job than otc mouthwash. i don’t drink, nor do i really care for the taste of alcohol, but i occassionaly rinse with gin…

• yeah I saw that episode!! Completely forgot about it though. Nice, now I know a good use for vodka! lol. I definitely don’t drink the stuff, blech.

Right now I’m using a peroxide mouthwash that I got from the store. It does a good job but I definitely think vodka would work better. Although it might burn my mouth… hmmm..

Either way, I’m trying to do away with toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. or at least trying to make it as simple as possible.

SocaL—That’s really interesting. I would love to not have to use toothpaste… Do you floss / use a tongue scraper and all that?

If you are using mouth wash, just for fresh breathe than way not just chew on a mint leave or something.

Otherwise, I would think a salt rinse would work quite nicely as a rinse. (maybe add some mint to it to make it tasty?)

• Katie, no, I do not use a tongue scraper but I do floss every now and then, especially when there is some food stuck between my teeth. Before I ate raw food I would wake up with a gross film or coating in my mouth, now I get nothing at all and do not need to brush in the morning.