Returning to Raw & looking for support

Jayelle CJayelle C Raw Jr. Leader

Hello everyone!

I've been a raw vegan in the past, the first time being while pregnant with my daughter (who is now 16 yrs).  I was having trouble keeping down anything that was cooked and a friend of mine in a mommy group I was in had told me about the raw vegan diet.  It was a life saver!  I had no negative pregnancy symptoms, my daughter was born at 9 lbs 10 oz (just 3 oz lighter than my son), and the both of us were so incredibly healthy!  I didn't even have much weight to lose after she was born.

Unfortunately, once my body could handle cooked food again I slowly returned to SAD (standard American diet).  Since then, I've struggled with how I ate, always wanting to return to being raw but finding it difficult even when my ex was willing to go raw with me.  I just have so much trouble sticking with it.

Today I have a ton of digestive issues (my friends joke that the list of foods I can eat is shorter than the list of foods I need to avoid), am dragging myself out of a deep depression, and am 60 lbs heavier than I want to be.  I also have fibromyalgia which I know for a fact is linked to food.  When I go on a restrictive diet and don't eat the foods I shouldn't, then I am in absolutely no pain.  So, I know that at the very least I need to stay away from those foods.  A raw diet would eliminate all of them (except for recipes involving corn or wheat berries).

I tend to analyze everything and so lately I've been looking back at all of the times I 'failed' at being raw.  I know what led to each time I returned to unhealthy foods.  

1. Not having a meal plan set up.  One of my problems is dinner rolling around and I have no idea what I want to eat so I grab whatever everyone else is having.

2. Not having certain things prepared ahead of time.  So many raw dishes require dehydration or soaking/sprouting for hours or days beforehand.  So, sometimes I would go to make myself something but not have it started.

3. Not having staples. There are times where you just want to munch on something without having to prepare much.  There are some raw dishes that keep a long time in the freezer or the refrigerator (granola comes to mind).  Having something in the fridge to grab that is tasty, filling, and able to just be grabbed without any prep is excellent to have on hand at all times.

4. I also need to eat before preparing food for the household (I'm the only one good at cooking, though my daughter is taking an interest).  After making food for everyone else, I just want to eat it instead of making something for myself.  I've realized that before making the house's dinner I can make my own, or I can make mine while theirs is cooking.  There are plenty of recipes where the hardest and longest part is cutting up the veggies/fruits or using a food processor and can be prepared in only ten minutes or so.

5. Variety.  I have a ton of recipes but I sometimes fall into a rut, only making what I have on hand and not planning ahead of time.  Everything above should help with this.

So, now that I know what has caused me to crash and burn in the past, I'm feeling hopeful for the future.  I found an app that I can input my recipes and set up a meal plan, with reminders to start prep up to 24 hrs in advance.  If you can include serving sizes and whatnot, it'll also show you the nutritional value of what you are eating.  I'm hoping it'll help. :D

Anyway, I'm glad I found these forums and look forward to giving and receiving some much needed support (I live in Arkansas at the moment and don't have anyone in my personal life who is vegan, let alone raw).

*hugs*
Jayelle

Comments

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Welcome! I know I saw someone on here a few days ago looking for an accountability partner. Maybe you two can get together :)

• Jayelle CJayelle C Raw Jr. Leader

If you're talking about who I think you are, I wrote them to see if they're still looking. :)  Thank you hon!

ClaireT
  • rain42dayrain42day Raw Newbie

hello, nice to ,let you

Jayelle C said:

If you're talking about who I think you are, I wrote them to see if they're still looking. :)  Thank you hon!

It's a great way to start the new year :)

Thank you Rain!  Claire, it really is!  Though, I'm not starting this as a new year resolution like many people do with dietary and lifestyle changes.  Since resolutions seem so hard to keep, I always feel like calling something a new year resolution is kind of like saying you're going to try something new you probably won't stick with.  lol  Truth is, I was planning to go raw and it is just lining up with the new year.  But, it does lend this 'new year = new me" feel to it!  lol

Resolutions are kind of cursed. Just make something else your resolution so it ends up with the curse and then you can just make this your lifestyle change. There's a way around everything laughing

Well, as I said I'm not doing this as a resolution.  The timing is simply coincidence.  As for making something my resolution, I never make one.  I used to, but eventually they became something to be disappointed in rather than motivating for positive changes.  

ClaireT

Yeah. I know how that is.