Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

7-day Green Smoothie cleanse, anyone?

Hi there,

I’d like to do a 7-day Green Smoothie cleanse – would anyone like to join me? I’ve never done it before, so support would be good! I’ve got “Green for Life” and a fantastic Blendtec, so I think I’m all set there. But if anyone has tips, recipes, etc, do share! I need to cleanse my system from some ill-advised eating choices as of late. Also, does anyone know what an approx. weight loss can be from a 7 day green smoothie cleanse? Just curious.

2»

Comments

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I’ll join you guys too!
    Sarm, I’m also looking at starting monday morning as it would be ideal for me! Bolderbug, is this an OK time for you? I can’t wait to start!!

• Im might can join on Monday too! Im going home for spring break that week so Ill decided once i get home whether or not i think I can do it!

• Yay! I was thinking of Monday morning, too. I need time to get all my ingredients, and Mondays always seem like the best tme to start. I think this will be great. I’m looking forward to it!

• I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO START ON MONDAY BUT IM A NEWBIE SO RECIPES AND ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. WHAT ELSE CAN WE EAT OR IS IT SMOOTHIES ALL DAY?? LOTS OF HELP NEEDED!

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

Just finished one! It was nice, but I find that juice fasts have more effects. But go for it! I found it refreshing and simple not thinking about meals!

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

I think I’ll join with you guys on Monday evening. I’m excited now!!!

I might try a juice/green smoothie fast.

• I am half way through a ten day green smoothie fast. This is the first fast I have ever done and it has certainly put my relationship with food in perspective. After the first few days your energy level skyrockets too! I began with smoothie recipes based off of Victoria’s in “Green for Life” which have evolved into my own crazy concoctions. It’s been a lot of fun experimenting with maca, spirulina, bee pollen and this site has some great recipes too!

Got any questions? Ask away….....

• i haven’t done very well on juice, but smoothies i can handle. are there any rules for a smoothie fast (ie: quantities of smoothies or certain veggies)?

I have a question. On average how many green smoothies do you drink? Are there any limits or precautions? I wish I had my hands on the Green for Life book that seems to be awesome and also a great guide. You guys have NO IDEA how thankful I am for having your support in this website!

Do we need an ingredient list of some sort? By this I mean if there is anything manditory for this fast—a “Must Have” ingredients list. Oh, and also, what should we include to make sure we don’t get defficient in any nutrients?

• I too wish I had the Green for Life book! Im going home this week so maybe my mom will buy it for me. I think im going to have 2-3 smoothies (I make my smoothies about 3-4 cups) or more just depending how active I am. I like to put bee pollen and ground flax in my smoothies. Sometimes I add cinnamon or cayenne. I think ill try to vary my greens a lot. But really i don’t know what I should be including.

• Oh wow, I have been talking the past week about doing one on Monday, weird! Count me in!!

• Hey Earth Hugger and Juicy! Since you two are the only ones posted on here that are in the midst of or have just completed a green smoothie cleanse, can you tell us about how much you drink everyday? What essential nutrients you make sure to include? It seems the rest of us about to start this are all sort of wondering the same thing! Also, Juicy – how long did you do your cleanse? What results did you see/feel at the end of it?

I’m planning on reading “Green for Life” today, so I’ll try to post again later on with some of her advice, favorite recipes, etc!

• I completed my green smoothie fast the last week of Febuary. This geared me up for the Master Cleanse I’m on now…highly recommend doing this before the MC, it has helped with food cravings by shrinking my stomach. Also, lost 9 lbs in that same week!!!

• Hello there!

SO, I read Victoria Boutenko’s “Green for Life,” and for those of you that haven’t read it and are starting this Green Smoothie cleanse with me on Monday, here are just a couple of pointers she gives:

1. Try to include as many variety of greens as possible into your smoothies. This includes (but is not limited to) greens like arugula, spinach, romaine, collard greens, bok choy, chard, endive, kale, mustard greens, broccoli as well as herbs like basil, cilantro, parsley, mint, and fennel. You can also include alfalfa and sunflower sprouts. Mixing up your greens will also help prevent you getting sick of your green smoothies!

2. She recommends adding 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed to the smoothies, as flax seed is a great source for omega-3 fatty acids and both soluble and insoluble fiber.

3. Other than that, there are endless smoothie recipes you can do. I find this site to have a great number of recipes (just type in “green smoothies” in the search box). But here are some of Victoria Boutenko’s recipes that I thought sounded yummy:

6-8 romaine leaves
    1 cup red grapes
    1 medium orange
    1 banana
    2 cups water

1/2 bunch spinach
    4 apples
    1/2 peeled lime
    1 banana
    2 cups water

And for a savory smoothie:
    2.5 cups spinach
    1/2 bunch cilantro
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1/2 lime
    1 tsp stevia
    3 roma tomatoes
    2 cups water

Here are two smoothie recipes from Sarma Melngailis as well, if you want to get a little fancier. The following I copied from some of Sarma’s posts at www.welikeitraw.com:

Pink Grapefruit
    Cucumber
    Cilantro
    Lime
    Pineapple
    Agave Nectar or stevia
    Vanilla Extract
    BIG pinch of Cinnamon
    Pinch of salt

1 grapefruit, peel cut away
    2 lemons, peel cut away
    2 limes, peel cut away
    2 cucumbers, peeled n chopped
    1 splash aloe vera juice
    2 tablespoons thawed E-3 Live or powdered crystal manna
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons liquid stevia, or 4 to 5 packets powder stevia
    A squirt of green tea extract
    1 heaping tablespoon green powder
    A wee pinch of Himalayan crystal salt
    Now, stop here and blend the above to get your liquid base going

• I’m excited to share this experience with everybody participating! I’ve never done a fast with multiple people before!! I’m on my way to the store to pick up some greens and veggies! Good luck everyone! :)

• I look forward to tomorrow!!! I really need it after this weekend. Thank you boulderbug for putting those recipes in this thread!!! It will help me to get started. Good luck to everyone that’s joining….”see” you on here tomorrow sometime :) Cheers

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

hello all! well I am pretty relaxed about fasting… I have also done week long water fasts as well as many many juice fasts so my precautions may seem fairly loose. Generally, I make about 1 litre of green smoothie 2X a day. I also make a juice at some point during the day..a big juice, about half a litre. I add flax seed to my smoothies, probably 2 tbsp ground. I drink lax tea at night if I feel the need, but other than that nothing special! The above recipes are pretty much my outline. My advice would be not to focus on what you have omitted from your diet, focus on what you are drinking/eating. I find that to be the easiest way to think about fasting. Be prepared to feel amazing!

juicy, I have the tendancy to eat fruits like apples after I drink green smoothies in the morning for breakfast. Can I still do this or does this cleanse require nothing other than green smoothies? Someone please answer because I want to do this right tomorrow!

• Samilicous, personally I think it’s whatever is right for your body. I’m going to try just to stick to the smoothies, but I may have some whole fruit if I feel the need for chewing. I certainly don’t think there’d be any harm in it! You should do what feels right to your body.

• Samilicious, I do the same thing, I always want a carrot or an apple after my smoothie in the morning. I think a good way for me to offset that is by adding more ice than usual to make it extra chunky. Not only will I have to drink it slow I’ll have something to chew. Hopefully that will stop me from wanting something afterwards. (I have ice cubes made from tea…They add a very nice flavor to the smoothies!) :)

Oh wow, what a great idea! Ice cubes made out of tea? This I gotta try!

So it seems like there are no ‘rules’ to this cleanse right? Just green smoothies all day long for 7 days as a main meal?

• So I just bought a GIANT bag of mustard green because ive never had them and they always say vary the greens you eat. Anyway I was hoping to put them in my green smoothies but I tasted them and they taste just like spicy mustard! Ugh how is that ever going to work in my smoothie….has anyone ever made a mustard green smoothie?

• Awww- I feel the same way about mustard greens. They’re so… ick! Maybe just use them in a savoury smoothie (soup) or sparingly in a sweet smoothie. You’d have to use something strong to cover it up, or very sweet, like bananas- and other type of green that you actually like. I’ve made some pretty sketch smoothies, and when all else fails, I just add in some stevia. Good luck with all your mustard greens! and on your smoothie cleanse! =) Oh, and I LOVE the ice cube tea trick! Mint and ginger are my favs.

• Oh no! I did the same thing! I bought a bunch of mustard greens. I can’t remember if I put them into my smoothies this morning or not (I was kind of grabbing greens and fruits with no particular recipe in mind). I’ll have to do some research to see if there’s an acceptable smoothie recipe out there for them.

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

I wish I could help you Sarm but I don’t know of anything.

Today was really my first full day on the juice feast and it went great! I had plenty of energy, which is nice because I only had three hours of sleep last night. I wasn’t hungry at all either. Tomorrow is farmers market so I am excited to get some stuff for making smoothies.

Hooray!

I think that even after this fast is over I may start replacing some solid meals with juices or smoothies, which I don’t do very often. I like the way it makes me feel.

• How did everyone do on their day 1? I’ve been buzzing all over the house, painting, drawing, cleaning. I feel great. You know, it really it wasn’t all that much effort! Anybody try anything new, exotic, or exciting today?

• yes i made an aweful smoothie i could hardly stomach! I put way to much celery, i put in the whole bunch! Then I added some frozen raspberries that were probabl too old because they had lost most of their flavor but it was about the only fruit my parents had at there house besides some sad looking apples. So i added those too, it was still so gross so I went and bought some more fruits and greens. When I got back I added an orange and banana to it then some spinach a ton of honey (way more than ive ever added to a smoothie) and i finished with some ground flax. Then it was semi-good. But man never again will i add so much celery!

Hello, yeah it wasn’t much effort for me either but I like it! I think I did pretty well for my first day on my first cleanse. However, I must admit, I did eat 2 apples in between my smoothies, and then two Asian pairs afterwards. I’m still trying to get the hang of it and stay positive and open-minded at the same time. Reason being, I was hoping I could accomplish this weak consuming nothing but green smoothies, but I guess I should give myself time, especially since this is my first, so, all is well and I hope everyone else is enjoying their first day too!

Also, I’m curious about what those of you who got the mustard greens are going to do with them? In general, what how DO you use them? In salads? I always walk by it in my grocery store and I’m always tempted to buy it but I need your advices about how to prepare them and how they taste before I risk it!

• I have yet to put any mustard greens in my smoothies but I think ill put some in tomorrow. But I think they would be nice mixed in salads with other greens. To me they taste like a spicy brown mustard, and thats why I think they would work nicely in a salad. They might work in a raw soup too but Ive never made a soup before.

• I’ve used mustard greens in many salads before, both red and green. I never thought they had the flavor of spicy mustard, but they seemed to have a slight spice, maybe a slight more bitter than other greens.