Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

....stretch marks...!

Ok folks, I am here to ask about stretch marks! I have had stretch marks on my upper thighs since I was around 12 yrs old…and I’m 21 now. Now they are on the inside of my thighs AND on the back of my leg where my knees bend. I have always been pretty petite, never really fluctuating with my weight too much… Anyway, I have them and hate them. Anyone have and clues on how to get rid or heavily diminish the look of these suckers?? They make me very self conscious! I have heard vitamin e oil but it really didn’t do much. HELP!!

Comments

• Exfoliating the area during a shower with either processed sugar (good way to get rid of it!) or regular salt, then applying coconut oil seems to dim mine down a bit…

Hope that helps. I know, they annoy me everytime I look at them!

I will be starting dry brushing too once the weather gets nicer, that may help aswell. I wouldn’t bother with any creams or lotions though, waste of money.

• Ok, this is going to sound odd, but I received my stretch marks with pregnancy and when I read this I suddenly thought, I forgot all about those, I wonder if they’re still there since all my lifestyle changes. So I just checked and I can’t find any! I’ve been raw for 8 months, dry brush and use coconut oil every day (extra virgin). So who knows, maybe the light is bad in here, but maybe there’s hope!

• Ooooh, I can talk stretch marks! I ballooned up to 210 pounds with my pregnancy (curse you, Ben & Jerry!!). I’ve since lost 50 pounds – that took me about 4 years on a gradual standard-to-vegetarian-to-vegan diet – and my stomach is a corrugated mess. TMI, I know. But still. Any tips and/or miracle cures for stretch marks posted here will make me dance with joy. :o)

• The same happened to me. I gained a bunch of weight in my late teens/early twenties, lost it all of it, and now I have stretch marks. It’s pretty annoying, but I just try to focus on how my body has been looking/feeling and pretend they aren’t there.

• Regular rebounding and dry skin brushing should help with stretch marks.

• That’s interesting – I rebound too.

• What’s rebounding?

• I’m assuming that stretch marks must come from some sort of defficiency in the diet. Wish I could tell you what! Cause it just sucks how some people can go through pregnancy, go through yo-yo weight gaining/losing, and come out with not a single one… and then on the other hand some people just get them with the slightest weight fluctuations!!! I’m wondering if maybe MSM may help because it’s supposed to support good skin, it’d be worth a try I think!

• Holy crap Karen! I have the same thing!! Since I was 12, and I’m 21 now! I’m searching for help too…I’m finding that when the weather changes and as I am more active on Raw, the toned look of my legs makes my stretch marks less apparent. But they’re still there. And coconutty—MSM…good advice. I’ll have to start taking the again, or look into taking it again. Thank you!

• amysue – when you say you use coconut oil daily, do you mean internally or externally? Or both? :)

• Rebounding is jumping on a mini-trampoline (or a full size one if you ahppen to have one in the backyard). Also known as cellercising, trampolining …

• eshne – both! So funny, I just finished telling heartshaped sky how I use it on my face on the rosacea discussion, if you want more explanation about the external you can read how I use it there. Internally I take about a tablespoon a day in a smoothie – only the extra virgin kind, mine’s Jarrow Formula, which is also what I use on my body – one tub in the shower, one in the kitchen. I have a book called The Coconut Oil Miracle, which is not about raw food but explains the type of fat and the health benefits.

• omg me too…I noticed it my freshman year of hs when I was like 14…I freaked! I was never overweight either, I was one of those kids who was almost TOO thin (I’m just normal size now, and the marks haven’t gotten better or worse). It’s annoying

• amysue – thanks :) I’ll go check the rosacea discussion. I have a tub of EVCO but I’ve not yet got into the routine of using it. The more I read people’s experiences the more I think… why don’t I use this stuff!! I’m going to start adding it to my green smoothies too. Right, off to check that other discussion :)

• I’ve seen really excellent reduction in my stretch marks by using MSM and MSM lotion (the David Wolfe one – I’m trying to cut down on products overall, but I really love this one). They aren’t completely gone yet, but after about 6 weeks of regular external and internal use, they are dramatically faded (they’ve changed from bright purple to very faint white). I take a pretty low dose of MSM (1000 mg a day) and then just rub the lotion in once or twice a day. When I remember, I try to use the lotion before yoga so that the heat will help it penetrate my skin. Don’t know if that’s actually helpful or not, but it seemed logical to me!

A while back someone posted something that I found very comforting (unfortunately, I forget who posted and what the topic was) but I’ll try to paraphrase. If this is familiar to anyone, please let me know the source! I’m sure the original poster was far more eloquent than I am:

Stretch marks are scar tissue. The body is fully capable of healing scar tissue, but among the body’s priorities, this task ranks very low. However, once you reduce the body’s toxic intake and start giving the body more in terms of the tools it needs to detox and repair (through diet, exercise, lymphatic stimulation, etc.), it can get some of the big priorities out of the way and start working on the smaller stuff.

I just find this idea very encouraging in terms of focusing on long-term benefits of eating raw. But for short-term results, I’ve been very happy with MSM!

• Does anyone know if these suggestions will work for African-American skin?

• Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. It is comforting to know there are some things everyone can do to help diminish stretch marks. One more question…can I buy MSM at a whole foods store? Thanks for all the input, I love this site!

• Well i have one clue.But i never checked it on myself or any of my friends,there was a girl i met few years ago and she swears her mum get rid of the stretch marks,she had after babies,this way!!!!Very raw as well!!!Sprout the weat seeds for a few days,the sprouts should be about 2cm,then mince them in to the creamy consistence and apply to the marks like compress for 30-60 min!I dont rememeber now for how long you suppose to do it.You may try it and let us know if it really works!!!:)

• 3relefords – don’t know, but they seem so beneficial for many other reasons it couldn’t hurt to try…

• These all help with stretched/scar tissue.

serrapeptase/Proteolytic Enzymes, Rosehip oil, Tamanu oil, DMSO/MSM.

• My midwife told me that some people just have stretchier skin. She said women who never got stretchmarks during pregnancy were also less likely to need and episiotomy or tear during birth. I have noticed some improvement since I’ve been raw and skin brushing, but my pregnancy stretchmarks stretched really deep, into my deepest layers of skin – my skin just wouldn’t stretch and I had a big kid in the making! SO I’ve long ago said my goodbyes to my bikinis.

HOWEVER, my mild, teen growth spurt induced marks on my thighs are pretty much gone since raw and skin brushing! Love that skin brushing!!!

• I must try skin brushing and coconut oil! I’m 5’11 and I have stretch marks from my extremely fast growth spurt (at which point I was still a 00) and then after that my diet became very unhealthy in an attempt not to be as lanky as I was and I ended up a size 12 and 170lbs… Now I am 129lbs (thanks to veggie and plenty of raw) and size 4, but my thighs still attest to the fact that my body hasn’t always been in prime shape!

• What do you use to brush your skin with?

• something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bernard-Jensen-Dry-Skin-B…=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1208544064&sr=8-4

• How and when is brushing done. And what are the benefits, besides help with stretch marks?

• I found the answer to my own question! If anyone else has questions, I found this: http://healingtools.tripod.com/skinbrush.html

• Grandma’s advice for stretch-marks and cellulite…

Sun, Saunas, HOT pepper (you must become immune to the heat but this also diminishes spider veins) slathered on vitamin E and/or coconut butter.

Most of these are skin detoxifiers anyway but it’s true, at least for me, that blemishes seem to linger in places that seldom get any sun (as always practice moderation.) I’ve always followed her advice and although I’ve had more than my fair share of stretchmarks ( I was an obese child), they are all gone and I can’t remember the last time I noticed one.

• What is MSM?

Unfortunately when I was 14-15 I began eating like crazy (2 burgers, shake, large fries, apple pie at one meal) and I gained 30-40 lbs very rapidly. As a result I have stretchmarks across my hip area (strange place, I know), and they ANNOY ME (serves me right for eating like that – I know ;D)!

I am definitely going to try the brushing thing – my grandma was telling me about it the other day but she didn’t mention anything about stretch-marks (lol why would she I guess :D).

I have heard about the vitamin E thing, but I wasn’t sure if it would work. Do you think aloe vera would do anything? I have a million aloe plants all over my kitchen that I use for sunburn/bug bites/etc, and haven’t thought to try that yet!

• Humboldthoney, what do you mean by “you must become immune to the heat” ?

• humboldthoney – hot pepper eaten, or rubbed on the skin?