Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Whole Foods stores

Does Whole Foods carry any prepared raw cuisine? I will be in Philly in 2 weeks. If they don’t have any raw restaurants, I was hoping I could buy prepared raw food at Whole Foods? I don’t have a Whole Foods where I live, so I was not sure…

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Here in Kentucky our Whole Foods has a “salad bar” type of raw selections and plenty of organic “cooked” varieties. Unfortunately!!!

• well they normally have a great produce section… and some i’ve seen have a juice bar.. i’ve seen a few things there that are raw. but not sure about “already prepared” selection.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I went to my first Whole Foods recently to pick up lunch – I was so excited – yet so disappointed. My non-raw family members had no trouble finding lunch but I had to settle for the salad bar which was not what I expected and there were no lemons or oil or anything besides prepared dressings. This one didn’t have the juice bar that I was hoping for. The produce section was lovely though, as loveskale mentioned.

• Try looking online, and especially try to find a Co-op. Co-ops are SO much better than Whole Foods, because they are owned by the members and aren’t out to make huge profits like Whole Foods. Plus you’ll be supporting the local community instead of sending your money to who-knows-where, the corporate owners of Whole Foods who now have little competition after buying Wild Oats. I’m not a Whole Foods fan, can you tell? :)

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Wild Oats was recently bought out by Whole Foods. Our local store is in transition to the Whole Foods line of products. I was very disappointed in the changes that have already taken place. The juice bar is gone, several of the raw products that I have depended on have been replaced by organic. The change in terminology implies, to me, that these items are no longer raw. I guess I’ll be looking for other sources.

• beepsandclicksbeepsandclicks Raw Newbie

The “mother” Whole Foods in Austin has a tiny raw cafe, but unfortunately I have not seen another like it in any other Whole Foods! Shame, really.

• No juice bar in mine…just high prices and disappointing/$ prepared foods. I would buy the cut up fruit (produce aisle) and the lara bars.They also have cut up veggies in the produce aisle. The fruit, agave and some nuts might make a nice lunch or breakfast for you. By the way, Philly Cheese Steaks aren’t raw! LOL! Don’t worry, you’ll find good stuff. Have fun!

• I know for a fact that the prepared foods section carries ZERO prepared raw food meals! The salad bar is shoddy—from the raw standpoint. I definitely say your best bet is perusing the produce department and become creative with your meal. I like to buy an avocado some greens and other veggies and make wraps. Sure people look at me weird, as I eat this in the cafe. I always think to myself how I know not only am I eating way healthier than they are, my food tastes freekin’ great too! teheehe

• This is not true chakra essence!!! The Whole Foods in my area carries prepared raw foods…They have raw hummus, snap crackers [which were nasty though], a couple different seaweed salads, and then a bunch of different raw cereals, butters, snacks and everything! So there’s hope for you yet, wanna_B! I hope you find what you’re looking for…oh and yes of course, they do have a pretty good produce section. I just frown upon the fact that they even carry conventionally grown produce…but w/e.

• Sorry, I just say this because I work at whole foods and I totally dislike the prepared foods department. The only thing that is remotely raw are the sliced peppers and the baby carrots. Everything else is bagged or canned, yuck. Then to come to think about it our store is tiny comparatively speaking. I’m sure that has much to do with it…

• Thanks for all the replies! Guess I will see what Philly has to offer when I get there! And if worse comes to worse, I will find some tasty fruit to eat! ;-)

• The Whole Foods where I live (near Atlanta) used to make fresh juices at their bar but now their “smoothie” is bottled juice with ice!

• Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

Our Whole Foods in Austin has a RAW BISTRO inside, I ate there twice and it was delicious.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Maybe we should all write to their head office and suggest they carry more pre-made raw meals? It’d certainly help spread the word about raw. I find their produce prices okay, but they have the best section of natural-ish cosmetics I’ve found so far.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

whole foods REALLY likes to carry local goods as i understand it, so if you know of someone in your area who makes delicious raw foods (i don’t) you should recommend that they approach whole foods to start carrying their products…

the whole foods in california supposedly carry “gorilla sandwiches” which i really want to try (raw everything layered into a seeded cucumber…)

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I tried making a gorilla sandwich once. Didn’t turn out so well . . . I love the idea though.

• I think it depends on your location. I live in FL, and the Winter Park Whole Foods as well as the Tampa Wild Oats has a good selection or raw foods, like salsa, guac, & flax crackers. They even had raw brownies & cookies, too.

• ugh.. skip whole foods.. look for a local market. Support the community not the…ALL POWERFUL WHOLEFOODS… they are not about community. They are coming in my town and ruining the local scene!

• We have a whole foods here in Bend, Oregon. It was originally a Wild Oats and they seemed to sell more raw ingredients. Now that it’s whole foods, I can’t find a lot of the raw stuff I used to buy there. They also cut out a huge section of the bulk herbs. I don’t shop there anymore, not that I bought too much from them previously, as they have always been really expensive.

• I love the