Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Clean, Icelandic fish; to eat or not to eat, that is the question.

I am a raw vegan, but moving overseas…

What is wrong with good quality organic fish?????

need help.

• ... vitamin D,but fish is an excellent source of that
    Especially salmon, tuna, and mackerel…

• I have just done a mini study on cooking with oil and fats. If you will be cooking the fish, do steam or bake it. Dont use oil or fats.

• belikeyeshua writes, 2 hours ago: (3 posts)

I know what the vegan-viewpoint of eating fish is.

The thing is, we are moving to Iceland… and that is ALL they eat there.

Well, not all, but they eat a lot of it, and its very cheap, often given to us.

OK considering I know nothing about what the icelandic eat maybe this is a dumb reply…..but Americans Mostly eat crappy, cheap food…...and here we’re still able to thrive on a raw vegan diet. in iceland do they just not have much produce at all or something?

• They have produce… it can be expensive. Also, its an Island, so there is a chance of food shortages as most everything is hauled in.

• Belikeyeshua: Wow, what an awesome move!! (It sounds exciting ot me, at least.) The other implication with fish is mercury or other heavy metals or elevated pollution levels. As with anything that is higher up on the food chain, the pollution it accumulates in its tissue is increased. I think if you do a little research online you should get a good idea of which fish in Iceland are “cleaner” than others. I know that smaller fish are supposed to be better, too. It is called pescatarian, from the latin for fish. I hope that helps. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

When I was in college, we had about 20 students, all young women, from Iceland who came as a group to attend our marine biology program. I was amazed at how progressive-minded and accepting they were. I presumed either their national or local culture must be remarkable.

They do eat lots of fish. Their climate isn’t the best for growing fruits and veggies. As long as their nearby oceans are clean, I would think you should be fine.

I am a big fan of one of the fundamental tenants of macrobiotics, which is that consuming indigenous species serves a specific health purpose. Local foods usually supply unique nutrients you would need to thrive in that climate. For example, the natural oils in cold water fish provide a specific nutritional need for those in a cold climate or tropical fruits supply necessary nutrients to a tropical islander.

I wish you the best. There must be something awesome about Iceland. These young ladies I met were happy, well-adjusted and thoughtful people. I will always remember them.

And Magni Ásgeirsson is from Iceland. Hope you get to catch a concert!

• Yes, the people that we know in Iceland are very good people, in general. Not all of them. There are others who are quite angry at us. But, the people are very very ambitious and NOT lazy, at all.

My dad used to be there on missionary work, and I was born there. Now, we are going back for that reason. It is a very dark country and we know that God is calling our very large family there, which is amazing.

Its an impossible task for most people. Nothing is impossible for God.

Anyhow, thank you all for being so warm. I appreciate it.

• I imagine if they have fish, they have seaweed. You wouldn’t filter water through a sewer and then eat it; you could eat seaweed and leave the fish healthy – meaning ALIVE and just watch them as they swim and enjoy their beauty and your own.

• belikeyeshua, I think that the worse problem with fish is the mercury, DDT, and all other harmful chemicals that get in the fish while they are in the ocean. The bigger the fish, the bigger the chemical load. Even organic fish have it, if it has been farmed in sea water. This is especially important for woman trying to get pregnant, or that are already pregnant.

On one side you may be having a great clean raw diet, and on the other, you may be gulping down a chemical cocktail with unknown consequences.

The only eat fish (once every two weeks) that has proven to have lower (but no zero) levels of mercury, which is vitachoice, I cannot explain how espectacular and tasty (not to mention expesive) it is…

• I don’t think you have to worry about harmful chemicals in the water, considering they have some of the cleanest water (and air) in the world.

The produce selection is terrible, expensive, and there is no selection. At least outside of Reykjavik. I went there last month and could not get by raw. I would definetly be eating fish if I were to move there.

Good luck! It is a very beautiful country!

• Valeria you are right, it is the cleanest in the world but only of we compare it to other heavily poluted locations. Please remember that the ocean is only one, ocean divisions are a human concept not a geographical reality.

• seaweed might be one answer, but please don’t just assume or imagine. Check out what you need to do to get the minimum number of nutrients that you need. (You can do this via an online checker if you need to). I personally feel that you will benefit hugely from eating fish in this environment. I’ve visited Iceland as a vegetarian and found it very difficult – I managed it, but for weeks not months. I know deciding to eat fish, having been vegetarian, is a very difficult decision and a very personal one, but if you are there for any length of time you will find it difficult to get enough variety and quantity of raw foods to sustain yourself. I’m with Kevlar and Meditating on this one – eating what comes naturally to the indigenous people will serve you best. I think that will entail some seafood.

• ps. I hope you won’t think I’m being defeatist, but I just don’t think you will be able to buy or sustain a sufficient variety of fresh, raw fruit and veg. I know this is a very personal decision (to eat any flesh) so if you are determined not to, maybe other people can recommend supplements instead?

• Thank you all… yes, its a beautiful country, indeed.

• durianrider wrote “what is wrong with eating dead fish? well the eskimos did that raw and average age of death for them was 27-37 depending on what study you cite.”

I think that has more to do with the cold than anything else, if that’s even true. The Japanese eat raw fish and have one of the highest life expectancies in the world.

Anyways, it’s a personal choice about eating fish. I was just pointing out the danger of not getting enough vitamin-D.

Using a tanning booth is another option (although, I don’t know how safe those are).

P.S. Fish are not your friends. If you were the size of a shrimp, they’d gobble you up in a heartbeat, and they wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

• ZoeZoe

There are a lot of raw foodists in Iceland!! Angela Stokes (www.rawreform.com) went raw when she lived in Iceland, and I have read on her blog about her and also Kate Wood going over there to do talks and even TV spots. Maybe if you email Angela or Kate they could put you in touch with some rawies over there?

• I fully agree with Kevlar.

Also, don’t the Eskimos live in COLD COLD environments… and starve themselves sometimes for lack of food? They do not eat right. Funny, too, how many people think Iceland is VERY cold, and Eskimos live there… not true at all.

• sounds to me like you are less interested in differing opinions than you are about validating your own choices.

personally, fish is the last thing i would go back to eating because of water pollution. the worlds water ways are a CONNECTED and integrated system. one is not isolated and strictly pure. there have been traced of DDT found in the polar ice caps… our world is polluted.

however, fish is also the thing that i would feel the most comfortable eating. not that i would. but it feels a little less disgusting than other eating other animals.

kevlar—i personally don’t buy “the rest of the animal kingdom is violent” argument. the rest of the animal kingdom does not philosophize over “right” and “wrong,” have the capacity for abstract thought, or have A CHOICE when it comes to their food source. we do. that is why we have and continue to evolve. the next evolution, imo, is going to be spiritual. and understanding the difference between what we need to trample to survive, and what we choose to trample needlessly is an important step in the process.

that said, i know and love people who do not choose my lifestyle and never will.

• I am interested in the TRUTH, though I also would need to get by, in Iceland. Yes, Iceland is the cleanest water and air in the world, or some of, I mean.

Yes, fish can be polluted. They say its got a lot of nutrients in it, however… I dunno.

Regardless, if I were to eat fish, I would eat clean(ish) fish… Iceland is some of the best.

Otherwise, I agree with others, about not to eat it.

• i didn’t mean to judge, i too like to validate my choices. who doesn’t?

“truth” can be a bit dodgy. my brother’s carnivorous truth is always a little different than mine.

you might be interested in “In Defense of Food.” it’s a VERY well-rounded take on the ideal human diet, written by the guy who wrote “the omnivore’s dilemna.” basically, he says that wild caught and fed flesh once in a while isn’t going to kill you. he also talks about how there are OTHER factors to consider when it comes to healthy populations like Asians and Europeans. i.e. how they eat, who they eat with, the pace of the meal.

you could take some raw green powder (or start making your own if you have a dehydrator) to add to water and drink during the day… even dried spirulina is helpful. that might help you cope with the lack of vegetation.

stretching, drinking water, bringing awareness into your body through breathing… these are just as important as diet in my book.

have a great time!

• I have not yet made a choice… really (to eat or not to eat).

Also, my tittle is a bit misleading. It says organic healthy fish, which sounds like an oxymoron statement. If it was organic and healthy then WE ALL should eat it.

The question is (or was) more like, is it healthy or ‘OK’.

Anyhow, Jesus ate fish… and died young for a GOOD cause. Yet, he lives today. So, I can eat fish, theoretically… and still die young for such a great cause. (?)

I did not take it as judging but go ahead and judge if you want to.

• i don’t see anything wrong with some organic fish once in a while, providing you choose a variety less likely to be as heavily contaminated with heavy metals, like salmon or tilapia (stay away from tuna!)

also, i’ve always thought eating in harmony with your environment is extremely important. i don’t agree that bananas are a good choice in iceland. i would try and eat what is local and available (within reason).

• also, according to recent research, the evolutionary development of human beings revolved primarily around vegetation, but did supplement with animal products.

• thanks for the eloquence elizbethh… that is what i was trying to say with the “In Defense of Food” book.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I am not 100% raw, mainly because I have not given up dairy or meat(although I have cut WAY back, my dairy is raw & local from good farms and only do local quality meat as well). If I had access to good quality fish, I would go for it but simply keep the quantity on smaller side and use it as a treat rather than a regular meal.

• FeeFee Raw Newbie

In the end the choice is totally yours – do what ever you feel comfortable with. I hope your move goes smoothly.

• Now that I have more time:

Something that is true, is truth. Something that is truth, is true. Your brother’s truth, being different than your own truth… that does not make much sense. Either you are right about eating veggies and he is wrong, or he is right and you are wrong. There is not room for two truths, only one. I hope that i have made myself clear on that matter.

As far as this thread goes, I suppose it is a non-issue.

But, I am taking some organic wheat grass juice powder, and some other things of the like.

To be honest, we are moving to Iceland with 8 kids (me being technically one of them), because we know that the Lord wants us to go. it is really, like missionary work. I was actually born there, as well as my older sister. I am almost 18 years old, so it was a while back… But the Lord is calling us, so we are going. It is an impossible task, or so it seems, but it is absolutely amazing, that we are going.

That said, I want to do whatever God wants me to do. I hope that I am not sounding to ‘preachy’ or ‘religious’ here. Honestly, I hate religion.

What I mean, is that if God wants me to be a vegetarian, he will provide a way. Or, he will tell me otherwise.

So, I am not worried. Though it is interesting to hear about fish (good or bad) and such. also, types of vegetarians and such…

One I read the other day, a breatharian (not joking). Someone who believes they can get all the energy they need from the air they breath (they do not eat)

sounds bazaar?

• Thank you fee.

God bless you.

• hi belikeyeshua I’m so jealous you are going to live there! I was just in Iceland for a month in may. I met many vegans even a raw vegan. I’m not sure how you feel about dumpster diving, but its crazy how much the stores throw away there… like insane. So I would suggest maybe trying that there. I stayed at a house with a bunch of vegan anarchists and everything that was in their fully stocked kitchen came from a dumpster haha even all the produce… Never once did I buy food in Iceland. That should tell you how much they waste there.

• “Truth” does not necessarily refer to an undeniable fact, belikeyeshua.