Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

why are peanuts bad?

erinerin Raw Superstar

I know peanuts are bad and I know when I eat them I am at mucusy the next day. But does anyone know the science behind it. Why/how do they cause mucus to form. Why are they hard to digest. I was having a discussion with my dad, telling him they were bad, but couldn't exactly say why. Any info will help. Thanks.

Comments

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Peanuts grow a fungus, I beleive it can be avoided with heavy spraying and fungicides pesticides etc so some non organic ones do not have fungus but then they have pesticides? Try wild jungle peanuts they are african and I have heard less people react to them than regular peanuts. But they are expensive.

Good Luck I think Raw guru has the wild jungle peanut butter

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

The wild jungle peanuts are from the Amazon rainforest, not Africa. They're not bad, but quite expensive. Of all the raw nuts I've tried, they're my least favourite. The taste is more like a sprouted chickpea than a peanut, which is interesting but not hard to fathom, since peanuts are legumes. They do not develop that aflatoxin fungus, though, so it's totally safe to eat them raw and/or sprouted.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

The jungle peanuts are fine, they are just a legume like any peanut so they are slightly harder to digest than most other nuts. Regular peanuts are never raw; they contain aflatoxins.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I thought they contained Mycotoxins, but i may be incorrect on the type of toxin (as raw kid chef mentioned a different toxin). I've never tried a junle peanut... i don't intend to since i enjoy my raw brazil nuts and walnuts :)

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

So many other nuts to try,why risk peanuts for all the above mentioned reasons.

Also,some people are allergic to peanuts,even die from eating them.

Don't mean to scare you,but that is true.

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

My brother is allergic to brazil nuts and I suffered from anaphylactic shock this year, having always been fine with then. Peanuts and almonds are the only nutty things I trust! Even then I only eat them rarely.