Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Need to lose weight >,< HELP!!!

I have known about RAW for quite some time now and in the beginning it was really easy for me mostly because I just ate what I felt like. I have never been one to follow a diet the right way, I have an "all or nothing " personality so it can get scary at times. I eat a lot of nuts/seeds/oils/avocados when I am high raw and I think that is where most of my weight is from...Keep in mind that I didn't gain this weight from eating raw, it was pre-existing...I have been starting to work out a little more but admitadly a lazy gal...I am doing my best to get out there but sometimes I just don't wanna!!!

Basically what I am asking for is your help with simple, low fat recipes that are not going to take up all of my spare time as I do not have much...Any ideas are greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!!

2»

Comments

• Thank you formosa....I do a green smoothie everyday for breakfast (even when I wasn't raw) and try to drink a lot of water throughout the day...I am just getting back to eating salads, but I really love using a nuts/avacado's for the dressing...I would love to try a sundried tomato recipe but the last time I tried it did not work out so well :(

I think right now I am just SOOOO hungry because my mouth is angry... have a canker on the end of my tongue that is so painful and I am finding it hard to eat, I just want it to go away...I think it's my body's way of detox as last weekend I had a bit of a SAD binge which prompted me to rediscover raw.

• Go on the master cleanse! I thought I couldn't do it (and actually attempted two times and failed), but I got in the habit, and lost 14 pounds so far. I'm on day 10 and was planning on stopping there, but I want to do another 10 days! haha! I have a bit more to lose and finally I feel great, and THIN AGAIN!! Try that, really!

• The only problem with that chattanog is the weight will just come back....master cleanses are not healthy

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I'll be happy to help. I've been there. I've lost 160+ and kept it off for 6 years now. Why don't you write me, it's free? (email on contact page of my website) I don't like to just jump in and offer quick answers when I deal with weight loss (or any serious health issue really). It can be so disheartening to get advice that doesn't work. I don't want to do that to anyone. I want you off the roller coaster for good.

Cheers,

Chris

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

For smoothies, start with a dense fruit and then add another juicer fruit. Banana and blueberry is always popular. Mango and orange is delicious and beautiful!

If your mouth is bothering you, you might want to stick with simply eating soft fruits. The great thing is, most of them are! Perfectly ripe mangos are great...you hardly have to chew them at all. :)

• I'm having the exact same problem. I'm completely raw, but haven't been losing weight. (I'm around 195 lbs and 5'8", so there's definately some to lose!) I'm actually gaining. It's frustrating.

Good luck!

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

I just did the master cleanse lost 10 pounds, and have been eating raw since the end of it. Albeit it's been about a week since the master cleanse, but i haven't gained back any of the weight. I think if you research enough, you'll see that the master cleanse is healthy as long as you're only doing it for a short amount of time. Especially since it's weight that's been there from earlier. No matter how healthy I ate, the weight just stayed there, until the MC. and now it's much much easier to keep off. So i guess i'd vote for the MC route too.

• Yeah, after you e-mail Chris, try checking out the facts about the Master Cleanse. A lot of people who gain the weight back do it by eating unhealthily; and since it's supposed to help reduce cravings of cooked food, I mainly did it to help me get back on raw for good. I plan on doing it several more times this year--I've studied up a lot on it. Definitely watch what you say about things you aren't educated about, because then you might say something to someone who'll believe you, and no longer have the desire to experience something really good. Master Cleanses ARE healthy. Do your research.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I did a 10 day Master Cleanse about a year ago, lost 15 pounds, and have not put it back on. In addition to the weight loss, I no longer craved sweets or carbonated beverages. In fact, the taste of a coke was actually repulsive to me. I'm a school teacher, and was concerned that I might not be able to teach and do the MC, so I did a 3 day on a long weekend. It went so well, that I continued for 10 days.

I have to agree with Chattanoog. If you do the MC, loose the weight, and then go back to eating as you were before, the weight will come back. Even IF the MC is not healthy (and based on my reading, I'm not convinced a short term MC is unhealthy), doing a 10 day cleanse, losing a little weight, and then consistently eating a healthy diet is a much better choice than staying overweight and eating SAD.

There are a number of older threads that address the MC. If you're interested, you might do an Advanced Search and read up on the experiences of others. Click here and check reply #3 if you need some tips on refining your advanced search techniques.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

I am preparing to do a 10 day MC starting next thurs. I just was wondering if those who have been successful think it would be.. IDK too tempting or distracting to continuing making meals for the family? Were you able to just keep food out of the house to support your cleanse or just deal with it? I dont want to fail. Is ignoring food doable or should I ask them to deal with their own meals for those 10 days? Thanks!

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Try reducing the fat right down and increasing the fruit intake for a few days and see how you feel. I'm not an 811'er, but sometimes sticking just to fruit and veg (in large quantities so you dont feel hungry) might help to put you back on track. Practically, try blended fruit as a dressing on your salad instead of oil based ones. Examples:

Mango and raspberry

Mango and tomato or red bell pepper

Pineapple and basil or lemongrass

Cucumber and dill (herb) or coriander (cilantro)

Kiwi and celery

Blackberry and orange juice

• gratefultobe,

Well I think you have to make that decision for yourself. I personaly do a 10 day natural hygine fast every 3 months.

I have a family of 3 children my husband who eat about 75% raw. I live with my mother, father,sister and brother in-laws in one house and make food for all of them. when I do a fast I still cook for the family I just sit at the table and converse about the days events. It seems hard but after a while I have no problem and the water keeps me full.

I heard the MC keeps you feeling full but I have never tried it. Good luck on your journey and if the family has to make their own food for 10 days then so be it.

Hi, thank you for answering me and I will decide for myself but I was hoping to hear if people doing it found it too hard or just fine to keep dealing w/ food prep. I looked at some of the other threads and no one else seemed concerned with or addressed this. I want to prepare as best I can and not find myself grumpy or resentful or slip during.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have the type of body that seems to gain weight when i eat cooked food. if i really eat a detoxifying raw diet for a few days, it comes off.

it seems you are craving dense food because you are not eating enough of the foods that are lower calorie. you need to eat HUGE salads to get enough from them. i would eat more veggies and veggie juices. those are the most cleansing.

• Chris- I tried to email you at purelyraw@yahoo. com but got a message saying it could not be delivered. I have treid a few times now, is there an alternate email I can use??

• Chis,

I just want to say that that is so nice of you! You are a wonderful person!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Speaking of cleanses, my DH has been on a detox kick lately, including colonics. He's now convinced that no matter how healthy one eats, a large part of what people are struggling with health-wise can be things you ate years ago...and I have heard that some people do lose a few pounds after colonics.

• gratefultobe:: I made one of my SAD-famous cakes for my in-laws while on the cleanse--I wasn't even tempted to lick my fingers while making it! I cooked a few times for my husband while on the cleanse, and kept the lemonade beside me at all times--but DEFINITELY try and get out of most of the cooking--or make things that are really easy to prepare--that way you won't be around it for long, and then it's out of your way! But I was so pumped about losing the weight that I didn't WANT to get off of it! (Lost 15 pounds total!!)

mmmorgans: Certainly consider doing the cleanse at some point. I've read that when you crave cooked food when you're raw, it means you need internal cleansing--and that's something the master cleanse can provide for you, or even make it easier for your raw food lifestyle. I hope that whatever you chose, you're happy with, and end up with great results. Good luck!!

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

yes mmmorgan...

Hey, thanks for this lulushka8. Perfect time of year for w.island. Do you think you'll try it & how long is recommended?

• GratefulToBe- I did a 10 day MC recently and am getting ready to do another 10+ days as I really loved the results and the tons of energy I had while doing it (I lost at least 10 pounds on it, possibly more because I forgot to weigh myself before starting it and then not for a few days into it- I did it for the health and cleansing benefit). I went to restaurants with hubby for family get togethers about 3 or 4 nights while on it, with no trouble (I did bring a big MC drink with me most times), and I prepared pretty lusciuos meals for my hubby for dinner and lunch many days, too, including hte second night, with no problems or cravings. BUT my SIL told me she makes sure not to prepare any food for her family, herself, the first 3 days but after that she is fine to do it. The first 3 days are suppsed to be the hardest in regards to wanting to eat food when you;re around it. I was actually backwards, though. I was wanting to eat food after day 8, but only for psychological reasons (just wanted to eat food again), not out of hunger as the drinks are very filling even though it doesn't seem so until you actually try it.

Lulushka8- that's cool about the Watermelon Cleanse. The MC is actually full of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals in the drink with the organic, fresh lemon juice (vitamins, enzymes, and alkalizing to body so helps draw out toxins), grade B maple syrup (minerals that the tree draws up from the soil and is in the sap that makes the syrup), and the cayenne pepper helps circulate your blood and raise metabolism which helps flush the toxins out of your body. I'm sure there are numerous "cleanses" that work to one degree or another... just water fasts work to a degree... anytime you consume small quantities of simple, pure foods you give your body's digestive system somehwat of a break so it can put more energy and resources into detoxing and cleansing. Some will be better and more healthy to the body than others, too. The MC is very healthy if you research it thoroughly... as we shoulc do about everything really. :) I have not researched the Watermelon Island much, but it does sound effective, too. And tasty. :)

• Yeah, I cannot do much spice and used very little cayenne pepper even though it calls for very little- just went off what I liked in taste. :) And don't ge me wrong, I think the Watermelon Island sounds cool, too (and what a fun name for it!). Not trying to convince you do do it, I just didn't want people unfamiliar with the MC who read your post to think you are going for 10 plus days without any nutritents when doing the Mater Cleanse. :)

Hi aspire! Thanks for the benefit of your experiences with this. I meant to start the MC awhile back and just talked myself out of it. But I feel like it's time for a cleanse so I got the Peter Glickman book, Lose weight, Have more energy & Be happier in 10 days. Barely started it but I have the smooth move tea for tonight. Your timing was great and I got a lot of encouragement from your post. Funny how you and your SIL were so different! Just the fact that you are interested in doing a second 10 days says a lot!

LOL, I dont really know whats bothering me, if I have an attachment to eating, the funky tongue or what.

lulushka8, Hope you see sunny skies soon. California was a bit rainy and dreary today too. I started the day with intentions of only the watermelon and I changed my mind at about 3pm! WTF? Anyway best of luck with your island!

• Good luck GratefulToBe! My SIL got Glickman's book and really liked it. I got Woloshyn's "Complete Mater Cleanse" and I really loved it and they both have numerous great reviews by readers so you can't go wrong with either, no doubt! Glickman's website has a TON of people doing, and having done, the MC with lots and lots of helpful info. You've probably seen it posted in the numerous MC threads here on GR, I'm assuming. If not, lemme know and I'll post it for you. :) Anyway, it's very simple to do, but just be sure and follow the directions exactly as they say otherwise you can run into problems and it won't be as beneficial nor go as smoothly (pardon the pun!) as if you had. :) I'm sure the book will tell you that, too. I'm a firefighter, work 24 hour shifts, and I was able to do it no problem. Started it on one of my day off stretches to see how it would be, ended up feeling fine and having tons of energy so kept it up during my shift work and am going to do it again now and see if my body tells me to try for longer this time, too. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, either way is fine for me. It's also good to tell yourself "why" you are doing this, and remind yourself why anytime you might have cravings, or want to cave in and eat, or maybe feel lethargic for a day until you eliminate those toxins out, etc. (E.G.: "I derserve radiant health," "I am going to feel so amazing after completing this and I deserve to feel great, look great, and be healthy," " Food is still there whenever I decide to end it," etc, etc.). Have fun and good luck! :D

You guys are so great! Thank you. Day 2 and it's going so well. Just had to do a bit of cooking last night for the family but no biggie. The getting clear on why I wanted to do this has made the difference same as choosing to eat raw. LOL really the thing I think I will avoid is the "What did you eat today" thread. superfood2 entries are the best! haha

• Lost weight high fat raw, about 10 lbs, plateaued. Went 8/1/1, dropped 30 more pounds, (eating 3,000 calories of fruit a day with regular exercise)

You figure it out, but calorie restricting isn't for me. :)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Me, either, LJ. :) I like my food!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I'm doing green smoothies this week in preparation for a 10 day MC starting next Monday. I've never done one and i"m a little bit scared but I seriously need a clean out.

• I tried the master cleanse this spring and was surprised that I actually DID it. I think I just made my mind up, or something. All the while making food for everyone in my house. But on day 10 my mouth started burning and I decided to stop the lemonade, and that was that. But I think I'm going to try to do it again in a couple of weeks in an attempt to stay raw for the summer. I did lose weight on it and it helped me totally eliminate gluten from my diet, which is awesome. Most of the weight I gained back but only because I've been eating a lot of cooked crap recently.