Chick Peas

I’m new to this. Have canned chick peas been cooked prior to canning? Thanks! Melissa

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Everything in a can is cooked, and not very good for you either- full of metal residue and preservatives. You’d be better off soaking and cooking your chickpeas than eating them from a can.

• So can you soak dehydrated chick peas or do you have to cook them after soaking?

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Yes, you can soak and sprout chickpeas. You don’t have to cook them. After sprouting, you can blend them into hummus, or other dips….or just sprinkle them on your salad. Yummy!

• ok – one more newbie question – can you just soak them, or do you HAVE to sprout them?

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

You can just soak them (germinate them), but make sure you rinse them a few times with fresh water to provide them with oxygen, so they don’t start to go bad.

• thank you very much!

• How long does it take to sprout chick peas so I can make hummus?

• 12 hours to soak, and 2 to 3 days to sprout. Make sure you wet them down everyday to keep them moist.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

nisolu: If you are ever pinched for time, there is also a hummus recipe here that doesn’t call for garbonzos/sprouting.

• Kandace – Thank you! That sounds delicious.

deegarry – What do you mean keep them wet? Do I keep them submerged in water for 2-3 days?

• 1 cup of dry chickpeas and fill it up with water to cover it, make sure you have a mesh bag over it to keep air flowing in.

To sprout, you drain all the water out and leave them either in the jar without water, or a strainer for 2 to 3 days, but once in the morning run water all over them, and at night, run water all over them again to keep them moist.