Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Experienced Raw People, Do you really get those famous results?

I have seen articles and videos where people have lost a ton of weight, cured of diseases, look very young for their age, and have a "glow" about them. Do you really get these results. Any personal stories, experiences, photos, would be great!

Thanks!

Sam

Comments

• yep!!!:) I was in the hospital off and on, due I'm pretty sure, to a diet of pastas, cheeses, breads... even though I was vegetarian for several years at that point. I was 16, and spending my 17th birthday in the hospital for unknown reasons- it was just clear I had chronic extreme abdominal pain, dizziness and fatigue. When I couldn't leave my house because I was always in so much pain, I decided to make myself better, and throw out the md's advice on what I should eat(in this case, literally, eat white bread, pasta, no wholegrains, no raw veggies...literally, I got a list of good/bad foods and that was the jist of it!)- so i scratched that, looked into what my crazy friend jay was talking about with raw foods, and meditated, fasted, cleansed... When I'm all raw and doing well with it people can tell. I have a sparkle in my eyes and clear skin, and spunk. lots of spunk:)

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

lost my acne, asthma, excess weight. gained mental clarity, ability to control my ADHD (age helped as well, and maturing) and gained a TON of fitness.

:)

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

It's true you lose lots of weight, cure all kind of illness.

Personally I'm still struggling with the following:

-could you get the same results on a cooked diet without animal and grain products, I think you can but haven't tried it. They say cooked greens digest better then raw.

-raw-greens some people love them for other people it's just green filling material it's very hard to digest.

When you do raw-vegan-diet with care your body can greatly improve.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I'm not 100% (I'm a high raw vegan) but I've seen a huge improvement in my skin, I've lost weight and got more energy. My blood sugar issues have gone and when I first went raw, loads of people commented how great I looked.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Here's what I lost:

anemia

restless leg syndrome

muscle and joint pain (particularly in my knees)

seasonal colds

weight

overactive sweat glands...plus stinky sweat

"normal" gas, tummy gurgling, bloating, etc. after eating

morning grogginess

Just the fact that I no longer have to take afternoon naps is awesome for me. :)

Swayze

• I am new to raw, and I am still waiting for the "glowing skin" effect. I have gained some blemishes since starting this diet. Any suggestions of why this might be happening?

-Ko

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

After only 3 wks raw, my face and chest was cured completely of acne/excesma I had had my ENTIRE life, I threw out every last bit of dermatologist medicine. I didn't need to lose weight before raw but in a picture taken of me my face was much more slender, jaw lines more defined, eyes SO bright and blue, and my face literally glowed. I never thought I had glowy skin...i just accepted i was not born with it and would never have beautiful skin..ahhhh I LOVE RAW! My hair and nails grew crazy fast, and I have much more energy at night and in the mornings.

So ya, those stories are all true. I feel like once you learn about raw, its life changing. Its like a little secret we have but want everyone to know about :)

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

Justcallmeko1, your skin will get worse before it gets better. You are detoxing. To speed up the process, be sure to drink fresh veg juices, dry skin brush in the mornings, and look into doing enemas.

• Don't have any photos yet, but that's a great idea, I'll have to take some to share!

I went vegan years ago, due to an ovarian tumor that was Stage 1a cancer. My naturopath got me started in the right direction, and I have taken, I think, one sick day since 2004! But I still had excess weight, hot flashes, and not enough energy.

I discovered raw about a year ago, and am now about 90% raw, 100% vegan. The differences when going raw have been very noticeable, and very welcome! I have lost a lot of weight, my skin, nails and hair are much healthier. The gal who cuts my hair noticed the difference right away. My nails grow very quickly. I don't have body odor, and the most amazing thing is the lack of joint pain. I've been getting chiropractic treatment for two years for joint pain, probably the beginning of arthritis. I have NO pain now. I tried a little turkey at Thanksgiving, and had SO much pain for about a week, that I will not make that mistake again!

I also have more energy than I know what to do with, I'm much calmer and happier. I wake up in a good mood, and alert! I'm not nearly as moody as I used to be, and have virtually no hot flashes. I can connect mood swings and hot flashes to things I eat - if I eat out, for example, and there's refined sugar in something, I'll know it right away.

I have found going raw to be the easiest thing I've ever done! Food is easy to prepare and tastes much better! I can even tell, when putting something in my mouth, if it has hydrogenated oils in it! Your palate will change as you eat more raw, which is a very good thing!

• Wow! thanks everyone! this helps a lot as I am currently on my third day raw, and my body is definitely detoxing, as I am in pain and running to the bathroom every few minutes. eeek!

This is inspiration to keep going!

Sam

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

can't believe no one has mentioned the mental clarity that you get with raw... i actually believe that it outweighs the physical benefits! as corny as it sounds, being raw makes me wake up with a smile. all those nagging negative thoughts i used to have are now gone, and i get excited about waking up in the morning. totes just speaking for myself but i'm sure some of you guys have experienced this as well!

• yeah! the acne is gone!

seriously. I struggled SO much with acne. I tried every cleanser out there with no decent results. After a few weeks of raw, my face was already so much clearer---

they say that carrots help fight acne though so maybe it was all the carrots!

I lost weight and haven't fluctuated in weight since. It just stays put, which never happened before... I used to fluctuate drastically and very quickly.

I have more energy...and the energy feels like better energy if that makes any sense...

my nails grow like crazy. which I don't particularly like because I just bite them off haha

I don't know... I feel an overall improvement and a better feeling of well being...

• Kitty,

Thanks for your advice. Can you please explain what a dry skin brush is? What product or equipment do I need to do this? Do you suggest going to a doctor to get an enema, or one of those do-it-yourself products? Can you suggest one? Thanks!

-Ko

• Also, do you think the remaining breakouts have to do with the makeup I wear?

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

A dry skin brush is a brush you use to remove dead skin cells. You simply run the brush all along your skin before hopping into the shower. I like to moisturize afterward with coconut oil.

You want a brush made with natural, stiff fibers rather than synthetic. I bought mine from Yerba Prima Tampico. It's made from tampico fiber (agave plant) and costs about $8 at amazon.

HTH,

Swayze

• Amazing! looking forward to the results myself.

I am proud to say I no longer crave caffine, or even hot foods after only 5 days. My roommate has been cooking around me (which is a true test) and it does smell good, but I really didn't have a hard time turning it down.

yippee!

radiant glow here I come!

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

Justcallmeko, I do still wear makeup. I am very careful about using anything fragranced tho, such as shower products and toiletries...mostly coconut oil is my go to product, and I still use a Burt's Bees facial cleanser.

I found a natural dry skin brush at TJ Maxx and try to use it every morning before my shower, gently in circular motions a couple scrubs over my entire body..You will notice much softer skin and since your skin is the largest organ we detox thru, I think it really helps!

And finally, I purchased enemas at my local pharmacy. I did them about once a month as I was starting out.

• M42M42

Hello mmmsammm, as you can see, we raw people love to share all the good sides the diet has with you! Nice to read that you have started as well, I hope you will have the same experiences! Be sure to ignore detox symptoms and cravings, but be careful about possible defficiencies. Also do keep in mind that the people for who the diet didn't work probably won't read your message here ;-) Just to look from the objective side, I don't think there's many of those people.

Personally, I've only been doing this for 40ish days and already I have more energy, more endurance in sports (I run twice as far before it gets unpleasant), more clarity and something no one seems to have mentioned yet: more enjoyable, vivid dreams. Personally I haven't noticed skin improvement yet but as I said, I haven't been doing this for very long so I still have hope that can be added to the list in the near future.

• EvaAfricaEvaAfrica Raw Newbie

Great extra benefits that no-one has mentioned yet: (I've experienced all of them)

Cellulite gradually vanishes

Even skin tone all over the body

No more toxic puffiness in body appearance

My complexion changed drastically, I just wash it with water,

went from oily/coarse-looking skin/big pores with bit of sun-damage,

to

skin that looks like I'm wearing base (foundation), no oiliness, no pores, smooth, sun-damage gone, little wrinkles around the eyes almost gone, lighter appearance of my freckles

My nails are strong and like the other girl said, hair is growing faster and looks much healthier.

As for the ageing, if I can see such results in 5 months then I'm convinced of those pics of young-looking middle-aged women!

• I want to add that I don't have dark circles or bags under my eyes anymore. Someone once told me that the bags I always struggled with under my eyes were a sign of food intolerances/allergies...must have been right, because I don't have bags under my eyes anymore!

when you get really serious about raw and you don't just EAT raw, but you live raw (like using natural soaps, not taking medications, etc) you will REALLY feel a difference. I don't think I felt the full effects til I quit taking "The Pill"

• I want to add that dry skin brushing can also cleanse the lymph system. To do this brush the entire body towards the heart in long strokes. It's important the brush is dry and never gets wet. Also, if anyone is going to go to the trouble of enemas, I suggest looking into coffee enemas for cleansing the liver. (I don't do enemas so I never tried it, but results seem impressive from reading about it.)

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I'll put it down in the simplest way possible, raw food+exercise+lots of sun=I feel like superman, I didn't have any specific illness before I went raw but I can tell you that after almost two years of high raw(80-100%) I feel absolutely perfect, my body never felt better&stronger, tons of energy, seeing very good results in the gym, my skin is glowing, my mind is so clear and focused and I feel so much more in touch with my body, raw is really the perfect way in my opinion.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

The "Famous Results" that I have discovered are: lower BP and lower cholesterol, such that I don't need to take any medication anymore!!!

Also, knee has OA in it, and it feels much better with raw.

I'm not 100% raw, i could only guess the results would be even greater!!!

Right now I just went vegetarian this week, and for all of those people worried about protein, how in the hell am i able to push more weight this week than last week, why am I stronger with less protein?????

Hey leafygreen,

Now that you're on enemas, I so want to do a coffee one! I've also read about the amazing results! My husband thinks I am the weirdest case ever: a person who actually want to have one! I would so do one if I wasn't forbidden to do it!

Why have you never done it? And have you heard/read of any other method of cleansing the colon so well (something not harmful)?

Hello rawcanadian,

I'm from South Africa, warm climate obviously; but my husband and I look forward to spending a couple of years in Canada. Aiming to backpack and travel lots the first year or so, and then maybe settle in BC in the mountain/forest areas.

question I've been chewing on is how easy/possible is it to eat raw in canada? is there an abundance of raw fresh produce despite the weather and seasons? and is it difficult to stick to raw in the cold climate?

In Canada we have an over abundance of food.

Let's just say nobody is starving!!!

There are lots of grocery stores and in the winter they are full of imported fruits and veggies. Most of them are not organic and if you want organic only some of the stores sell it , and at a higher price (like 2x to 3x the price of inorganic).

realrawfoods .com in located in bc, they are a raw family and i buy stuff from them here in ontario. They ship the order to me.

I've got a garden too, so will have raspberries and tomotoes and cumcumbers and peppers really soon.

• I hope this is okay...I've seen a lot of other people ask questions in other peoples threads! I think this is the best place?? Sorry mmmsammm!

I've been 100% raw low-fat now for 1 month, I keep a cron-o-meter to make sure I'm getting enough calories and enough vitamins. However I'm finding that I have no mental clarity at all, I can't focus and I have even less memory than I had before. I also have no energy. And quite honestly its making me look like a fool at my new job! (how depressing! :P)! Is this me going crazy and looking to blame it on being raw? Does this coincide with any one else's detox symptoms or should I get off this diet right away? :) I don't seem to be doing well on this :S

Thank you! :D

• artist, are you on medications? what's your sleep pattern like? do you still include tea or coffee in your diet?

are you on birth control?

I found that any issues I had with being raw, were because I was still on the Pill...

Did you lose any weight???

Are you feeling hunger???

How low fat are you going???

Are you eating a lot of fruit???

Are you eating a lot of greens and veggies???

Did you read 80 10 10???

Sorry for the questions, but the more info we get, maybe somebody can come up with an answer!!!

good luck!!!

;-)

• Oh my gosh, you guys are awesome!! thank you!!

Um...I am drinking chamomile and green tea.

I am not on the pill! I haven't ever taken it. :S lol

I go to bed at 10-10:30 pretty much every night and wake up at 6-8 depending if I work or not.

I'm not on any medications however I am celiac which has caused me malnutrition in the past but hasn't been so bad for a long time.

I've went from 112 to 105lbs but I am only 5'2 and am built pretty small? .... tend to go up and down between 112 and 107.

I do do yoga or contortion or combination of both for 3 ours a day no matter what.

I do feel hungry but in times I deem appropriate :S, nothing horrible.

I have a huge salad with a bit of olive oil every day, and consume nuts/avocado/mango/fats when I feel like my body wanted more.

I have a green smoothie for breakfast every day that lasts me until about late morning.

Consume fruit for the rest of the day until I get home and have my salad. Ummm :S

I have not read 80 10 10 :S maybe thats my problem

Thanks for your help and the good luck :P! I appreciate it!