Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Help!!!

Help I cant stop eating dehydrated raw buckwheat!!! Im eating up to 3 cups a day, with fruit and veggies, I completely dont eat fats!!

Im actually very thin and I keep wanting the buckwheat even when im not hungry, Is this ok or will i gain weight big time if i keep eating buckwheat everyday? Im curious .

Comments

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

I don't know anything about the buckwheat - and I seriously doubt 3 cups of a grain would make you 'gain weight big time' - but WHY don't you eat fats? They are absolutely necessary for numerous vital functions in your body including keeping your brain working. Besides, if you're very thin, you SHOULD be gaining weight, in fact you should be purposely choosing calorie dense foods to help with this.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

My bag of raw buckwheat cereal shows calorie content to be almost 500 calories for 4 oz. So you probably will gain weight if you eat it like that consistently. There is nothing wrong with good fats, so you could try snacking on a handful of nuts/seeds.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Sounds like your body is missing a nutrient. And as jakkrabbit said, fats are VITAL. You cannot function or absorb certain vitamins without them. I tend to eat lower percentages of fat because my body runs better that way, but I do eat fats. Seeds are a good choice for lower fat content, and better digestion. Pumpkin seeds or sesame would probably be best; the Zinc in them helps prevent cravings and regulate a number of functions. Most vegans and raw foodists tend to be low in zinc anyway, but your buckwheat cravings are hinting at it.

By the way, how long have you been raw? Could this be a detox symptom? If so, drink more water, and make sure you are having bowel movements 2-3 times a day, or more if you are getting "cleansing crazies"/detox symptoms.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

ya know, a cup of buckwheat has 6 grams of fat :)

at least un sprouted buckwheat.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Fats in moderation are necessary. Our body needs some cholesterol to function properly, whether you're getting that from oils, avacado, etc. I would switch things up just for the sake of variety. Variety is so important for many reasons. Try sprouting sunflower seeds - it's easy and I think dehydrated sunflower seeds taste way better than unsprouted. I also make salad dressings and dips out of nuts, and there's always the cashew "cheese"cake. Yum. I'm still really thin, even with these fats in my diet, but I tend to run better on more fats than most. Healthy body image is key. If you tend to distort yourself (I know I do), consult someone you trust. Sometimes weight gain is a good thing, and I tend to go by how my clothes fit rather than what the scale or BMI/body comp % say.

http://healingfromlupus.blogspot.com

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

jakkrabbit, buckwheat isn't a grain, its a fruit (wp)

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

Thanks, I'm of course new to all this. I just assumed buckWHEAT would be a grain, lol. Therefore, Sweet, ignore the first part of my comment re buckwheat, just focus on what I said about fats...

• 1 cup of buckwheat (cooked, so for raw I'd say divide by two, so more like 1/2C dehyd buckwheat groats) has 154 calories. Three cups a day is kind of excessive, I would worry more about why you're eating so much of one particular thing instead of thinking it's going to make you fat. Buckwheat is pretty awesome with it's nutritional content, you should still eat it but cut yourself down to like 1 C or 1 1/2 C a day and then, like everyone else is saying, mix in a little fat to help your body feel full. Maybe a half an avocado mashed up with some tomatoes, garlic, cilantro and lime juice to make a make-shift guac dip you can dip carrots or celery into? Your body needs the good fats to help keep the bad fats from making your body fat, you dig? ;)

• Sorry! Have to correct myself!!! Raw buckwheat groats have about 270 cals per 1/2C, sorry! I looked up the wrong info! But they're pretty good calories, lots of nutrients. Anyway, had to correct myself. That is all :)

• Thanks everyone for the advice!! :)im going to add some fat in my diet, mabey some almonds? how much should I eat? So is it still ok to eat the buckwheat in my diet? So even if I would eat 3 cups of buckwheat a day, it would be worse than eating 3 cups of nuts a day? I like the buckwheat because i find its almost like eating a crunchy cereal or like rice. I miss my cooked rice:( I wish I could still eat it, Is eating raw rice safe, mabey soaked? Is there any other lower in calories sprouted grains I can eat? I usually have a cup of buckwheat in the morning then again at lunch and again at supper. But now since everyone is saying 3 cups is bad, I dont want to eat it anymore:S/

All I eat is buckwheat and fruit and veggies:S why would it be bad . Is it because I dont have enough veriety?