Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Vitamin overdose?

jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

Hey, I went from 50% raw to 100% raw today (except I'm not certain if the oats I have are raw - they're not the instant kind though).

I entered all the info on the foods I'm having today into NutritionData, and was a little scared to see that I'm getting 1555% RDA Vitamin A and 757% RDA Vitamin C, etc.

But, because the nutritional profile said that I wasn't getting all the vitamins and minerals for the day, I got worried and added my liquid multivitamin supplement (Bell's) as well as my liquid calcium citrate with Vitamin D3. Now I'm worried that some vitamin levels will be so high that it will be an overdose!

How do I make sure that I'm getting all my vitamins and minerals every day, without overdosing on some of them? Every time I add another food to get a missing vitamin, it spikes up a different vitamin's level as well. Etc.

I don't understand why, even without the liquid supplements, the vitamin levels are so massive; here's what I'm having today, and it doesn't seem unreasonable:

5 & 1/2 apples

2 bananas

2 carrots

1 cup diced cucumber

1 cup red grapes

1 kiwi fruit

1 head of romaine lettuce

1 pear

1 tomato

1/2 cup coconut cream

1 cup coconut water

3/4 cup oats

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

don't think you can OD on those vitamins! no need to worry!

• Just watch your fat soluble vitamins. The water soluble ones like vitamin c are not a big deal to consume too much of. Your body will get rid of them for you. However, do watch your intake of fat soluble vitamins like iron. Once your body binds the vitamin to fat its more difficult to get rid of. Those are the ones that can make you sick.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

The fat-soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K. However, I would not worry a second about overdosing on them, especially from food sources. The RDA for Vitamin D is 400 IU/day. I currently take 10,000 IU/day. They (mainstream medicos) are starting to realize how many health conditions are related to vitamin deficiencies, D in particular. A study last year showed that MS patients taking an average of 14,000 IU/day had a decrease in flare-ups.

As for the other vitamins, whatever your body doesn't need, it's flushed right out of your body. It's all about your body's needs and tolerance. People have been known to cure themselves of major diseases, like cancer, by taking up to 50 grams/day of Vitamin C!

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

Should I be taking the vitamin supplement to make up the vitamins that are missing in a day, or not? Will it all eventually balance out over time as my diet varies?

• I wouldn't worry about getting too many vitamins/minerals from food-even fat soluble vitamins. I would be cautious about getting too much from the supplements. Perhaps just take the vitamin supplements once or twice per week for insurance. (Although I read that if a vitamin or mineral is synthetic your body will take other nutrients from your body to try to make it whole. It will then flush the other nutrients out of your body along with the synthetic ones because it won't know what to do with it. I think I saw that in an excerpt from "Vitamins Exposed.") The supplement I suggest taking daily is vitamin D. A 25(OHD) test is ideal to know how much. I take 5,000 IU/day and this brings me to the correct level according to the test.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Watch the documentary called "Food Matters". It has a good section about vitamins and the overdosing myth. You can't do it, there are not proven cases of vitamin overdose, its not an issue.

• I've heard people say they have permanent liver damage from taking too much vitamin A in pills.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

A few weeks ago, I compared a food item on NutritionData.com and whfoods.com

I found that Nutrition Data had higher percentages than WHFoods for the same food! Of course, that was just one food item.

I am guessing a lot depends on how old the food is (was it last years apples?), whether its organic... when it was picked... how its grown... and kept, etc.

There are Upper Levels for some vitamins; however, I'm not sure if synthetic or natural were used in the study.

I just took a nutrition course last year, so you ask a very good question... one I would be asking too.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Well, what the documentary I pointed out notes is that there are no scientifically proven cases of harm from vitamin overdose, while there are countless cases of harm from deficiency or conditions that could be helped with high dose vitamin therapy. No offense, but I personally wouldn't go off what what you heard from your friends... plus maybe they're right but it could be something else about the pills.