Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Getting carb/fat/protein ratio right SO time consuming - is there a better way?

jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

I'm trying to keep the percentage of fat in my diet between 10-20%. So I usally end up eating either 80/10/10 or 70/20/10. I feel better with lower fat. But, I have to be on NutrientData.com every single day, tweaking my recipes forever to get the fat percentage right. It's such a hassle, and so time consuming. Is there a better way to know that I'm keeping my fat levels low enough but not TOO low? How do you 811ers make sure you stay at that percentage ratio without spending half your morning planning out your food for the day?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

you just don't eat overt fats... or just eat a small amount of them. it's pretty easy to get the ratio if all your meals are fruits, veggies, and greens.

• M42M42

Hello jakkrabbit, personally I try to keep calories fom fat between 5% and 15% but I guess it's the same principle, just different amounts. Obviously, nothing will be quite as accurate as calculating every meal, but I think that -especially with such a wide margin- a rule of thumb will do the trick. Personally I eat fruits and vegetables all day (around 5% calories from fat), and every day I can eat one handful of nuts. Lots of calories and fats, so assuming I'm around 2000 calories total that brings the percentage around 10%. Maybe sometimes it's 7 or 13% but that's still safely within the margins. If you want to also include other fat sources you may need a slightly more complicated rule of thumb but still, guessing how to be between 10 and 20% is doable.

• I'm very short, so I eat only around 1200 calories per day. If I eat half an avocado or a handful of nuts, that will bring my fat intake to 17 - 18% of my total calories, so I stick to this rule (either half an avocado or some nuts per day).

• erinerin Raw Superstar

Hey Jakkrabbit, I second what Joanna said.

If you are eating just fruits and veggies and a very small amount of overt fats then it's not hard at all. My fat intake is usually around 5%-8%. When I first started monitoring my fat intake I entered all the food I ate into nutridiary.com and it gave me my fat percentage. Now I can pretty much estimate the amount of fat I'm eating.

The simpler you eat the simpler it is to keep track of. Try mono meals of juicy fruits!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I eat about 2000 calories per day, so that leaves 200 calories for fat. Covert fats in fruits and veggies will be around 60 calories or so, leaving about 140 calories from overt fats. That works out to about 1/2 of an avocado or 1 ounce of nuts/seeds.

Easy peasy! :)

Swayze

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

Thanks everyone for simplifying it so much for me! :)

• JR, If you have time research chia seeds