Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coconut - good or bad?

jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

I've been buying 1 coconut/week since it seems like a cheaper way to get fats than buying nuts. However, it's got lots of saturated fat; is this bad?

Also, I've read that fats should be eaten alone and after other more easily digestible foods, so I've been having blended coconut meat at the end of the day. But doing it this way seems to make it sit fairly heavy in my stomach and I'm wondering if it's okay to add it to a fruit smoothie instead? Dan, the liferegenerator, for example, often adds whole coconuts to fruit smoothies or even green smoothies and doesn't seem to have any ill effects even though it's not proper food combining...

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I remember that episode. Good call. In summary: coconut oil fat is better than animal fat. Its better than most fats. If you make the switch from animal fats to coconut oil fats, you will be healthier. However if you add it into an already "extremely healthy" diet, it will probably not promote health.

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Don't worry about the saturated fats, the myth about them has been busted several hundred times over. Another thing you could do is soak the coconut.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Kurite, a link with recent information and some "busts" would be helpful (unless we should just take your word for it, haha).

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

the fats in coconut are very good for you there medium chain fatty acids and have benefits such as anti-microbial(candida etc) to helping boost metabolism.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Coconut is delicious and perfectly healthy. Just make sure to limit the amount you consume as it is a fattier food than most sweet fruits.

Calories in Coconut Milk:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-coconut-milk-i12117

Calories in Coconut Meat:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-coconut-meat-i12104

Swayze

• Swayze said it all! Great blog btw.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Aww, thanks Lyn! :)

Swayze