Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Juicing-Where's the Protein?

When the juice is extracted from produce is the protein still present in the juice or is it extracted with the fiber? I want to add collard green juice to my smoothies but don't want to lose the protein. Does anyone know what happens to the protein during juicing?

Comments

• Butterfly3588Butterfly3588 Raw Newbie

That's tough to answer but if you blended the veggies in a high speed blender you would get 100% of whatever is in that veggie/fruit. You also get more for your money.

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Well in produce there isn't much protein to begin with but whats usually left over after juicing is the plant fibers.

• M42M42

Not really an answer to the question but possibly a solution. You could add the collard green juice after having extracted the fiber from the rest of the juice.

• I'm not concerned with fiber. I want to understand the science of juicing.

Thanks guys!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Fruits and vegetables do have protein. I read that carrot juice is 9% of calories from protein, which is perfect. I can't remember the grams, though. Apparently, some juices do have protein. Just read some labels or fitday-it.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

There are alot of different types of proteins... some are water soluble (which will be extracted and will be in the juice) while some are membrane bound and stay with the body of the fruit. The ratio will depend on the fruit and or veggie. I believe the best way to achieve a good balance is to incorporate both juicing AND raw veggies in their natural state!

Butterfly - alot of people juice specifically trying to AVOID the fiber! I know I do!

Kurite- There is an excellent balance of proteins in fruits and veggies... just the right amount needed for us humans. So it is important to make sure that we reap all the benefits from the fresh produce!

Cheers!

I hope this AT ALL answers your questions! Was there anything else you were curious about in juicing specifically?

• M42M42

Hello,

Shuanna, I think the question is this: "when juicing something, does (part of) the protein get removed (together with fiber)?"

I'm afraid I don't know the answer. I usually blend fruits and vegetables without removing fiber - fiber is important (though I don't know how much of it is needed).

Also Shuanna, the link in your profile seems to be broken, perhaps it would be worthwhile to fix it so more people find your (nice looking) blog.

Greetings,

Mark

• Thanks Mark (M42) That's exactly what I meant...Thanks for the answers guys! I'm going to do some research on types of protein

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

The link seems to be working fine for me... is there a specific problem with it? Please let me know.... so curious!

• Good morning, I'm a Biologist and a Chemist. I have also questioned how much protein is in the plants I juice. I think the only way to be sure how much and which proteins and their building blocks amino acids are in a solution like juice is to submit it to a lab to test it. The US Pharmacopeia tells how to determine how much protein is in a solution. Then you could also digest the pulp left over and determine exactly what protein is there and which kinds. Because some protein is bound within cell membranes which would be excreted with the pulp. HPLC and MS would be the techniques that would determine the protein/amino acid content and what type of protein/amino acid it is. From a health note I have found it better to use juice from fruits and veggies each day to replace one meal, and to eat my protein and veggies/fruits at another meal. This has made all of my health markers normal/almost normal range. Also it is important to make sure you consume foods with enough salt on a raw diet since it is a major electrolyte the body needs(salt=NaCl= Sodium atom + Chloride atom= sodium electrolyte and Chloride needed for HCl (hydrochloric acid synthesis for digestion in the stomach).