Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Following your raw bliss to a new geographic location

mangosistermangosister Raw Newbie

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in another post, I've been high raw for about 3 weeks and, in the midst of some kind of intense physical detox symptoms, I'm feeling--and this si something that I feel often and tend to back away from out of fear--that I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT continue to live in the middling midwest usa.....I need sun and warmth desperately for my soul. I know, lots of people say these kinds of things in the middle of winter, but this feels way, way more intense, almost like the decision is being made for me in various ways. I am consume, obsessed with thoughts of sun and aridity. I'm in my mid-forties and single, childless, and have only myself to be responsible for/to. I come from a very conventional, family-oriented place in good old Ohio and I just have to get out and live the rest of my raw life the way I've always wanted to...of course, there are people around me to (try to) talk to about this, but this is really an area where people are born here, live here, stay here, and die here. They do the same things, with the same people, for.ev.er.......it just isn't me and I feel like I'm about to spontaneously combust....in this way, being raw is uncomfortable right now. The clarity is challenging b/c I don't see the way yet.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, experiences, etc. on confronting the need for change in climate, etc. on your raw journey :)

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

If you have a big fight with a loved one, its a good practice to write down everything you feel. However, give it to them right away and odds are feelings will get hurt. Rather, after writing the letter let it sit for a day or two. Then go back to it and edit/remove thoughts that were harsh or purely emotional. This way, both needs are met - you are able to express yourself honestly but not in a way to attack the other person.

Likewise, it is not a good idea to make big life decisions when going through big physical and emotional changes. I don't know your history, but if you've only been raw for 3 weeks, then you will definitely be going through too much crazy stuff to make logical conclusions about other areas of your life. Let it simmer for at least a couple months. Then, go back to these ideas and re-process them. Odds are, you will feel differently.

However, if your desire to move and your going raw are not at all related, then I guess no one can give you advice on that except for yourself ; )

• I live in Ohio- and yes it is pretty tough right now. That said, just because I like it here doesn't mean that it is the place for you. The saying "one man's heaven is another man's hell" is very true (imho).

My first thoughts are about commitements and such. You sound like you are in the perfect position to be able to act on your feelings being single, no children and such. If you where married with kids you really would have to take them into consideration big time over this. Since following your raw bliss won't influence others so much I would strongly look into moving. Could you take a vacation somewhere that you have considered as a new home first to see if you really like it? As echo pointed out, it's not always best to make big moves and decisions during physical and emotional changes. Start looking around and places, and if you still feel this way after the snow melts, you might want to try moving.

Though I get a bit fed up with snow around this time of the year I wouldn't want to move away from Ohio seasons. I like them. But, not everyone does. I can kind of understand how you feel. I get depressed moving very far from the lake. We lived "inland" for six years after I was first married, and eventually moved with in a street of the lake later. For some reason I feel better emotionally being closer to the lake. I like that harbor type atmosphere. Strange. But it works for me. Maybe it's similar with you and warm weather?

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

Hey, mangosister, i totally feel your pain. I absolutely could not stand the winter in Portland and was so desperate that one day I just booked a ticket back to Florida and have been here since. Something about the cold just seems to trap me inside myself, but the sunshine takes all of that away.

I think you should make a good old-fashioned pro and con list, and think about your options. I know this will be met with much scrutiny on this board, but you could always try a tanning booth or light therapy. They seemed to help me a bit, but they really are no comparison to real sunshine.

• mangosistermangosister Raw Newbie

Hi everybody~~

**THANKS** so much for your replies....they help!!

Yesterday had alot of "over-the-edge" potential, as you can see from my post!

This issue has been brewing for years. One of the blessings of my life--that has a double edge of sadness for me, is that I have so few obligations/attachments/commitments that would keep me anywhere....ie. kids, partner, house, ailing parents, etc. Even my work is portable. So. Yes, the freedom does make the world my oyster, so to speak, and yet....it's bittersweet. Being high raw vegan makes me feel all of the nuances of this acutely :) I'm sure so many of you relate to this.

The deal is that 1) I can do my current work anywhere and I want to develop an online business eventually and 2) I NEED sunlight for my spiritual survival. Really. I am desirous of MORE LIGHT, on every level and HAVE TO HAVE IT. The idea of doing exactly what I want to do to have the life I want....well, who am I to do that, ya' know? Deep breath.....:)

• M42M42

Hello,

I recognize your situation - I've always wanted to live somewhere with more sunlight but the feeling has intensified since I started the raw diet (also just some weeks ago). It could be the coldness of this particular winter but I don't think it's that.

That said, I would wait until you've had more time to think about this and are more adapted to the raw food pattern. It's not good to supress a desire like that permanently, but there's a different between rushing into it andconsidering it for a while. Possibly make the choice next winter or - if that works for you - in the summer?

Seeing your work can be moved (I envy that) chances are it can also be moved in time? In that case you could maybe take some breaks to stay in other places that you consider moving to for a week or two? Try to make it a bit like you moved there, not too much like a holiday. To make time for this, maybe this idea for a time schedule is worthwhile?

For the people who read many of my posts, sorry for bringing Pavlina's work up but he has some good ideas ;-)

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark, I love Pavlina...I read his stuff all the time :) Very inspiring guy...

• Yeh.. I would wait it out a bit more and see where raw takes you... if you are still keen on moving though... may I just suggest Austin Texas :D

Raw vegan friendly!! Tons of sunshine!! Plenty of outdoor activities (town lake, barton springs, hiking trails, cyclist friendly).. & there are a million farmer markets. Search online.. this might be what youre looking for!

have a great weekend!! 

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

Hey, you said it's not a new thing, you've been already thinking about this for a long time. Going raw is giving you the *clarity* to decide what you need and the ability to clearly hear what the universe is telling you. :) I say get up and go. Life is too short!

• M42M42

Hello

Raw food does provide clarity but I've found that in the beginning it also enhances some feelings disproportionality and can be somewhat confusing. Personally I tried to start way too many things during the first weeks (which I'm still in). It's good to follow your feelings but feeling are variable, especially when changing something as important as food. I say mix feelings and rationality: give it a while and then move!

Well, I'm sure Pavlina would say something like along the lines of aligning with truth to be sure of your current situation, and then exercising your power to get up and move if you're not happy with the situation! Right? Just, don't forget the alignment with truth and act on your most clear moments :-) You're right, inspiring guy!

Yours sincerely,

Mark

• Hi there!

Sounds like you're due for a big inspiring holiday! If I was you, I'd make a list of places that might be future living places and travel there! And I don't mean in summer, but right now - you need to see what the climate is like in winter, don't you?

I don't know about your financial situation, but maybe you can find raw people on the forums who'd love you to visit them and show them around their local raw food scene?

If you really don't have any strings that hold you, I'd absolutely try and move, if you find a beautiful place at all! Just don't invest too much money at the beginning. This way, nothing is lost if you decide to move (back) again!

All the best!

• I love Pavlina's stuff as well:-)

Thanks friends! Your thoughts and suggestions are very inspiring and helpful...:)

I am going to take a breath and spend the next little while concentrating on staying high raw and seeing where it takes me. The only thing I know is that I need more light. Who knows, maybe I'll find more inner light to warm myself with until I sort out the rest. A nice idea for now!

But please, I'd love to hear about your personal journey with this issue!

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

When I settle down, I deeply desire it to be in a tropical area.

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

I've lived in Ohio and I hear you, Mangosister.

Since it seems that you're not moving immediately, is switching houses or apartments an option until you make a decision? You mentioned needing light- perhaps a different place with a lot more natural light (like a loft) could help you get through this winter? I know that my moods and overall happiness are extremely affected by my living area.

Since you can work anywhere, could you also (in the short term) find a scenic spot in your town to work? I take my computer to a nice library with huge floor-to-ceiling windows, and just being in this light, peaceful space with a view makes me so much happier when I work.

Which warm places do you have in mind? Best of luck to you!

I desire to be in a tropical area, too. Or in a sunny, semi-arid area. I'm kind of torn...

Here's more info: I'm a massage therapist--for 15 years, so when I say my work is portable, that's what I mean. I really can pretty much work wherever I have the resources and the guts to relocate. In my head I sort of follow the money in that resorts are where the $$ is, especially at first.

The background:

18 yrs. old--wanted to go away for college, mother said, "Don't I'm afraid if you leave your father might try to kill me." I came from a domestic violence situation and enough had already gone down that I was affected enough by her fear to stick around. Dream deferred.

32 yrs. old--single, no kids, after much therapy, I realize my life is my own and that my mother, who was on a waiting list for a kidney transplant at that time, had her own life path and I had mine. After a lifetime of pretty solid abuse and neglect, she asked for one of my kidneys. I said no and moved to the Southwest USA. Five months later she died in a car accident. I returned to my hometown here to be with my siblings and to regroup. Lots to process there. Dream deferred. I sort of collapsed back into my old need for security and didn't have the inner resources to give it another go. I went back to college instead, did very well, and went to grad school. Kept doing massage, which I'm quite good at.

41 yrs. old--still single, but in love and hoping to marry, moved to New England to be a wife and mother. Didn't happen, so I moved to the ocean to soak up that kind of beauty and to restore my faith in dreams. After a couple of years, felt I wanted to be with my family--unfinished business, new beloved nephew (the one and only child). I feel like I've walked back into the suffocating, stale, heavy weight of a past that I keep trying to leave behind. Being high raw (and sober now for over 20 years with much therapy behind me), I feel that, if THIS journey (raw food) doesn't rocket me into that fourth dimension, as they say, that, well, nothing will. Raw or bust. All I want, in my heart of hearts, is to leave the heartache of the past behind, to finally reach the bottom of the immense grief I often feel, and to be my true self--the one who got run over, time and again, by loss. I want the layers of the very sad woman to fall away and leave me free, like a butterfly. I don't ever want to consider myself "too old" to accomplish this. Two things represent joy to me--living raw and living where I feel like my soul can breathe.

So there. That's my story. I need sun, light, warmth, letting go, a new beginning.

• Everyone needs to figure out what is best for them, so please take my input as just a point of view. Only you know what is best for you. I have spent most of my life moving. I've lived all over the country in all different climates, and I love that part of my life. I've now lived in the same state for about 8 years (albeit about 5 different houses, 3 different cities!), and I am itching to move. Whoever says that you have to leave the country to experience other cultures obviously hasn't traveled in the US much. With each place that I have lived it's like a whole new world has been opened up. Every time I moved I would cull the unneeded physical things from my life which is very freeing spiritually as well. It can be scary and overwhelming to be in a new place where you don't know everyone (or sometimes anyone), but for me it is very freeing and exciting. A chance to start over fresh. If it's possible for you, it may be a good idea to rent a house/apartment for a month or so in a place that you think you would like to live. I don't know if that helps, but I hope that it does. Good luck to you, and I hope that you are able to fulfill your dreams!

Eatin Green~~

I *deeply* appreciate your generous respnse to my post. You said things I truly needed to hear. I appreciate your adventurous spirit and it sounds like your willingness to take chances has served you well :) That's so great!

I realized (after I posted) that yesterday was the anniversary of my mother's death. Wow. No WONDER I felt so....:0

I am pondering spending the summer months in New Zealand--their summmer, not mine. If I stay in the US, I feel drawn to AZ. I just want to stand there on some baked earth with my arms out, like a big ole' cactus!