Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

GORGEous Skin...

...I don't have it. It's not like serious acne but my pores are clogged with dirt especially on my nose.

do any of you fine people have product recommendations or recipes for skin care that work great for you? I am open to all suggestions.

Comments

• I haven't got perfect skin either, but am working on it and have had pretty good results. My skin is getting better and better all the time. I've started to use Avene skincare products (since about a month back). I don't know how "raw" it is, but the products have a lot of spring water in them and are designed for sensitive skin. I've noticed that the pores on my nose have started to shrink and look clearer, my face is less splotchy, softer, and hydrated. I used coconut oil before, which also worked well, but I felt that using it under my makeup during the day made me look greasy. The result being that I would powder my nose too much and clog my pores. Now I use it once a week together with a gentle facial massage. When I do this, I literally see and the feel blackheads coming to the surface and being massaged away!

Nutritionally, when I don't eat raw, I make sure that I eat gluten-free since gluten seems to make me break out. So definately no bulgar, couscous, bread, or flour.

I've also just started taking MSM (I'm on my third day) and am looking forward to all the results that others have experienced.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

I def think coconut oil can make blackheads worse, so probs don't use it if you have them. Also, not sure if you're more into topical or internal options for your clogged pores/blackheads, but here ya go:

1) topical: apply raw acv to your face once a day (give this about 3 days before you notice improvement)

2) internal: start taking 500 mg of niacin (nicotinic acid) once a day, preferably before bed as it will probably cause you to turn beet red all over (this will clear up pretty much any acne problems whatsoever within 2 weeks without fail... i'm talking cystic acne, blackheads, whiteheads, you name it); you may wanna up your dosage to 1 mg on week 2 but never take more than 1 mg a day

• Butterfly3588Butterfly3588 Raw Newbie

okay well i think i will try the ACV for starters, thank you both for your advice.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

balancing your hormones is a start with conditions like acne, blackheads etc.

best way to do this is digestive bitters as they cleanse the liver and in turn the liver can metabolise excess hormones better.

next best is foods and other supplements rich in silica, cucumber, nettle leaf, Diatomaceous Earth is the richest source of silica.

http://www.juicingforum.co.uk

• I haven't tried it yet, but I'm in the same boat and I've heard a lot of encouraging stories abotu oil-pulling lately...

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

I'm not sure that it's a long-term solution, but I can tell you that I've done 4 Master Cleanses, and every time I got comments about my skin. Even from people who didn't know what I was doing, they just noticed the difference. So maybe that would be a way for you to see a difference *right now* and encourage you while you're working out the long-term solution. :)

• What's oil pulling?

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm taking your advice, susan, and trying ACV. i just watched my face with dr. bronner's and blotted some ACV on afterwards. i actually enjoy the smell haha it's a nice change from the tea tree oil. i think my skin got so used to it that it just stopped working. my skin gets pretty greasy so i hope this helps.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Are you supposed to leave the ACV on or wash off afterwards?

hmm not sure!! haha i just washed my face, blotted the ACV on, and then went to bed.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Ok, will give it a go. My BF may wonder what the smell is tho! Haha!

• Hi there Butterfly!

I try to always eat enough dark-leafy greens. This helps with (new) cell growth. When my body gets outta whack, it is immediately reflected in my skin's texture and look. I also do a master cleanse 4x's per year (once/qtr). However, TRY THIS FOR 1-2 WEEKS: Eat lotsa dark greens, Wash the skin with good products daily and do a weekly mask. I often like to give myself a natural PAPAYA mask. The most powerful enzymes are found closest to the skin. Scoop and eat the lovely fruit, then rub the (scooped) inside of the skin all over the face. Let sit for no more than 15 min. Rinse and hydrate with a moisturizer. I also like to use coconut oil all over the body for a nice glow. it's not greasy after a few minutes. Leaves the skin sooooo nice!

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

Mellie, your avatar alone is testimony to what you're saying. :) I will be trying the papaya mask!

i definitely HATE the ACV! ahaha my face has gotten so red and inflammed from it. i used jojoba oil tonight just because it was really itchy, too. won't be doing that again.

• The MSM is working for me! I've been using it about a week and definately have the glow. I bought some vitamin E yesterday to put on a couple old scars (red patches left from blemishes) to lighten them up. Anyone had any experience with this?

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

Sorry you had problems with the ACV Joanna!! :( It's really not the best for sensitive skin... diluting it does help, but my sister has sensitive skin and it leaves her red, too. Do you already exfoliate? If you do, then ACV will leave you with almost raw skin because of the acidity. :( :(

if you want amazing hair and skin silica is the best nutrient followed by vitamin c.

best source of silica is Diatomaceous Earth, really worth given a shot rather than using topical products.

• I'm 19 and until recently had acne. Nothing severe but it was bothersome. I use Dr. Hauschka. It works amazing. I also find touching my face will make it break out. In the summer, I eat grapefruits a lot, and I find it works well to rib the left over grapefruit on my face, the inside of the skin. I read that depending where you're face breaks out is a sign of what part of your body is ailing you. cheeks reflect lungs, nose-heart, chin-reproductive organs, that sort of thing. But overall, skin condition is a window to the liver.

i tried baking soda on my face a few minutes ago. my face is really tingly (somewhat burning) and it's really red. i just put some jojoba oil on top because i'm worried. is this normal?

• Where do you find Diatomacious earth? Cant find it at the web-page recommended.

search food grade DE, where are you if your UK i know of a store if not then i could search for you.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Some are vegan - just depends. I know they use beeswax and honey.

And silk powders in their makeup as well. They appear to like exploiting our insect friends!

Which products do you use? I didn't look through them all.

Even the brands I use, though, like jurlique, I have to sift through to find vegan ones. 100 Percent Pure has great products but also use animal ingredients.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

For those having problems with baking soda--it's an alkaline, so an acid like apple cider vinegar would probably be a good thing to neutralize the baking soda.

I like to use ACV on my face, but I dilute it 50/50 with water. If you have really sensitive skin, you may want to use a weaker solution. This is great for healing all kinds of skin problems, including rashes.

Turmeric is also supposed to be great for the skin--both internally and externally. However, it can stain your skin yellow, so if you're fair-skinned you may want to stick to eating it.

actually, this morning when i woke up, my skin has never felt smoother in my life due to the baking soda. i think my skin wasn't used to it when i first tried it last night. i just washed my face with it and it's fine now. i tried ACV and it made my face itch for days.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

I'm not that in to skin conditions and skin care (I'm a man if it doesn't bother it's alright 8) ). But I have to say since I started with raw-food (vegan and other) my skin is far cleaner and less oily/fat (also my hair takes a lot more time before the irritation factor starts indicating that I need to was it). Low maintenance body Hmmmm.

I recommend leafy greens and lots of fruit, regular exercise, and plenty of sleep. (As Mellie touched on)

Dr. Hauschka stuff isn't vegan for a lot of their products, just in case anyone was looking into it.

• Hey,

I real in the latest issue of ELLE (UK) that the raw skin diet had tremendous results with one woman's skin. She said she saw results within the first two weeks. This is also another reason to embark on a raw food diet.

Also, I am on a prescriptive drug called Roaccutane. You have to have it prescribed from a derm but it's like a miracle drug. I have been on it 11 weeks now and I do see a difference but I'm not completely clear yet. I know this probably isn't a raw product, but it isn't forever.

roaccutane is quite a dangerous drug though, it can cause increased suicidal tendencies in some and once you stop your acne just gets as bad again. Not to mention its pretty rough on the liver.

best way to get rid of acne is to support liver function through the use of digestive bitters, these stimulate a flushing action of the liver effectively cleansing it. In turn the liver is able to metabolise excess hormones.