for the love of olives

i love olives, especially green ones, but after reading about how they are cured, i’m not so sure anymore. (most are processed with lye) i’ve yet to find “sundried” olives, that someone on this forum suggested. i’ve been buying organic california green olives, they seem to be soaked in water with a slice of lemon in the bottom. the brine doesn’t taste salty. could they be citris cured? where do you get good olives? online? i’ve read that true “raw” olives are inedible, that they have to be cured in some way.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Well today I recieved my order of raw sundried olives from www.detoxyourworld.com and oh my goodness, I have never tasted anything like them they are unbelievably delicious. They are not cured or had anything added. They are taken off wild olive trees and then simply sundried. Check it out on here: http://www.detoxyourworld.com/acatalog/peruvian…

I am an addict, wow, you have just got to try these…I thought they were expensive but now I have tried them I know I would gladly pay double!!

If you are in the USA I think www.sunfoodnutrition.com probably sell the same ones and supply Detox your World.

• Oh my gosh! Thank you for the link Zoe!!!! I love olives too!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Yea! I’m off to buy some right now! Thanks a bunch.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

We marinated some in olive oil and some in plain water. The ones in olive oil, well they didn’t taste that good, but the ones in water were yum! I still prefer them right out of the bag. They are juicy and oily anyway. Oh my goodness, what a find!!!

• So- is it true that even if it is labeled as “organic” kalamata olives- that they are still cured with lye? Hard to believe that they could be labeled organic if they had chemicals in them.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I don’t have an answer to your question stillfire about the lye. Maybe email, phone or write to the company producing them and ask them about it. If people do this then maybe the food industry’ll get the message that people care about what they are eating.

I have seen articles which show that most major organic food companies are ultimately owned by nasty corporations like Proctor and Gamble, Kraft, Cocal Cola etc. There’s a thread about this issue on here somewhere. This automatically makes me suspicious of their producing standards. I think it is worth checking up on.

I’m sure you know this but I just wanted to mention that if they are bottled or canned then they have been heated anyway.

• These are the ones I tried and didn’t like. I see they say “great at dissolving mucus” on the link you included – this is reductionism big time. No way can olives dissolve mucus – mucus is a body fluid created when the body is under attack by toxins – it is eliminated when there are no more toxins to protect itself from. They also give recipes to soak the olives to give them a better taste, I do not believe in doing anything to food to make it taste better. If it isn’t tasty right off the plant then it shouldn’t be eaten. It’s an acquired taste to like these olives, at the price of them I rather eat something that I do not need to acquire a taste to like.

• This is why I wish that I could grow an olive tree in my back yard. =\

It saddens me the more I read about companies claiming “organic” and “natural” and yet they are not.