Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Chia makes high fruit safer?

I tried high fat, high greens, and high fruit in rapid succession and the high fruit-low fat way of doing raw immediately agreed with my body. I read up a lot on the debate on both sides of the aisle, and I've heard from fruitarians and 30-banana-a-dayers who seem to be doing well, and then I've heard from other people that they developed candida, weight gain, tooth problems, or other issues from eating high fruit due to the sugar. So while high fruit seems to agree with me and I've heard a lot of good arguments for it, I still want to be on the safe side for a while. I read that chia slows the absorption of carbs and sugars, resulting in evenkeeled blood sugar, less hunger, and use of the sugars for running the body rather than fat storage. Does this mean that I can eat high fruit raw without worries if I just take some chia every day?

Comments

• I am a great fan of chia seed but to try and answer your question, I do not think it is just a case of a ratio of chia seeds to fruit, there is a combination of activity, amount of greens and fat intake to consider as well.

Russell

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

Right, but following proper food combining rules, I wouldn't be combining fruits with fats, and generally the only fruit I combine with my greens is an apple. Are you saying that foods I eat later in the day have an effect on sugar's absorption/storage/effect on my body?

My fat intake is 10-20%, sometimes lower. As for greens I've been doing a head of romaine per day with some celery or bok choy, but I'll probably be switching that to a very moderate amount of spinach for the next little while. I feel far better on fruit than greens or fats. Although I do feel fine with the addition of one small avocado.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I've heard the same thing about sesame seeds. Could it just be the fat? In 80/10/10 Doug explains that a high fat intake slows the absorption of sugar into (and, more important, out of) the bloodstream, thus raising blood sugar levels. This is in contrast with low fat, in which the sugar is able to enter and leave quickly. In essence, sugar consumption isn't the problem, fat consumption is the problem. So is it a good thing if absorption is slowed down? Because then, isn't the rate at which sugar leaves the bloodstream also slowed down?

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I also think exercise is a huge factor. If someone is eating high fruit but spends all day completely inactive, then it makes sense that problems will occur. They're eating pure fuel and not doing anything with it...

Which brings me to the question of how much activity is considered enough? I do cardio every day and resistance training every second day, but due to being housebound I'm not necessarily able to go rock climbing or for a long distance bike ride. If I were to lower my fruit intake due to this and replace some of it with, say spinach, what percent should I lower it to to account for the fact that although I'm active, I'm not EXTREMELY active like, say, durianrider?

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Enough so that you feel good and don't develop problems? I don't know, haha...

lol :)

• erinerin Raw Superstar

Hey jakkrabbit, to find out how many calories you need go to nutridiary.com. There you can enter your stats (height, weight, activity level, etc) and it will tell you how many calories you need to maintain/lose/gain weight.

As for the chia, it is actually desirable for sugar to enter and exit your blood stream quickly. When we have too much fat in our diets, the fats coat our blood vessels and slow the exit of sugar out of our blood stream and into the rest of our bodies. Then, to stop our blood sugar from getting too high, candida and other organisms step in and break down the sugars. Then we have to deal with their wastes which is where all the problems come in.

No one that I've talked to/read about that has tried a high fruit diet has failed unless they were not doing it correctly. I suggest you read the 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Doug if you are interested in this.

The main goals are to

- get enough calories from whole, fresh, raw, ripe fruits and veggies (the absolute most important)

- exercise (you don't have to be a super athlete, just get some movement)

- drink enough water

- get plenty rest.

If you are doing all these things, you won't have any problems.

People who are eating a high fruit diet should be concerned with not getting enough fruit calories instead of getting too much.

I've been eating a high fruit diet for a few months now and I feel great. My candida has cleared as well as my fatigue. I have boundless energy and can't NOT exercise while eating this way. I eat about 2 Tbsp of seeds/day if I choose to eat fat that day. Other days I go with no overt fats at all.

Hope that helps!

By the way, I REALLY liked your videos...they are amazing. You look GREAT!!! Truly and inspiration!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't think high fruit is "unsafe" or that chia would make it "safer."

but if you want to eat chia seeds, go ahead! :)

• could someone please provide any scientific backing to what you are saying? From my knowledge, by slowing the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream you are not raising your blood sugar levels - because it is "slowed" it does not spike your blood sugar. Whereas, if something is absorbed quickly it spikes your glucose levels. No?

No, I think your BODY's reaction to the food, not the food itself is what we're speaking of. Fruit = digested right away. Fruit & fat = slow digestion and your body raises glucose levels (fi that's right term).

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Read 80/10/10 I guess. I believe he sites some studies there. Logically, if blood enters the stream slowly, it will exit slowly as well. If it enters quickly, it will leave quickly. We want it to leave quickly.

• Why would you want sugar to enter and leave your bloodstream quickly? A stable blood sugar provides a constant, stable source of energy whereas "spikes" of glucose create fatigue. I'm sorry, but I really don't think what you're saying is factually correct. If you've ever heard of P-F-C (Proteins, Fats, Carbohydrates), you would know that it is "supposedly" optimal to pair carbohydrates with some source of protein and fat (for example an apple and almond butter, or a nut bar) -- therefore the spike in glucose produced by the sugar in the apple is slowed by the protein/fat so that you stay fuller longer and remain energized throughout the day, not simply "spiked" by a does of sugar alone.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Hmm I eat a little bit different. My diet has a lot of pure fat and some fruit, the fats give me absolutely no problems. I think the fats you can use in a vegan-diet give problems. The oils are normally not found in nature (you don't find kilo's of seed to press oil from) only a bit in nuts and fruits like avocado. I thinks that's why the 80/10/10 diet give's a good result. Only question is. Does your body get enough fat's from that diet (fat is important for a lot of things in your body)??

This is something I'd like to know - what amount the body needs. For the first week of transition I did 20% fats, which was a lot lower than the 35% fat content of my canned formula. Now I do 10%, and I feel like it might even be possible to cut back on that. I've heard of some frugivors doing 5% fat. I don't want to drop too low and be depriving myself of what is essential for my body, but I definitely don't feel my best on anything higher than around 10%. Becoming 80/10/10 just happened naturally for me - it wasn't even anything I was aspiring to; I hadn't read the book or anything. But it just clicked with my body right away.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

Brontesaurus I would highly recommend picking up Dr Grahams book 80/10/10. It explains the blood sugar thing really well and is easy to understand. It really makes all the sense when you read it. You may find after reading it, he is actually 'factually correct' . Our digestion is like a highway and can get clogged and have 'traffic jams' very easily. Our body digests different foods in different ways. Our body knows exactly how to digest fruit and also fat. But not together. You want the quickest digestion and exit as possible.

• erinerin Raw Superstar

brontesaurus - the way that it actually works is that when you pair a carbohydrate with a protein/fat like apple with almond butter the sugar stays in the bloodstream therefore causing sustained high blood sugar that can't exit the bloodstream and get to the rest of the body where it is meant to go. If you are interested in this you really should read the 80/10/10 diet. I was under the same impression that you are now, but after researching it and experiencing it, I've come to realize that this is the way it really is.

I've cured my candida completely in just a couple days with a high fruit low fat raw vegan diet. It's the path the feeling better than you ever imagined you could feel. It's great! Check it out!

I eat around 4 lbs of grapes a day, several bananas, berries. I never feel a "spike" in my energy or blood sugar. I have long lasting energy ALL day long!

Erin :)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

brontesaurus (cool name), it is not optimal to consume protein with carbs, even after intense physical exercise:

http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/nut-protein-and-physical-activity

"High-protein foods have a long gastric emptying time so are not recommended immediately before or during exercise. In addition, there is no evidence that adding protein to a glucose- and sodium-containing sports beverage does anything useful for either endurance or power enhancement. In fact, protein added to a sports beverage that is consumed during competition increases the risk of gastrointestinal distress and may delay the delivery of fluids and carbohydrate to needy muscles. Protein added to a sports beverage reduces the content of what athletes really need: fluid, carbohydrate, and electrolytes. Therefore, the majority of energy in the preexercise meal and during exercise fluid replacement should be from carbohydrate.

An increasing body of evidence suggests that adding small amounts of protein to postexercise food and drink is useful for muscle recovery, although the benefit of protein is reduced if sufficient carbohydrate is ingested postexercise to replenish glycogen stores.47"

In other words, EAT MORE FRUIT! :D

Swayze

PFC contradicts what I'vebeen reading about proper food combining, and yet I've ben finding it works well for me. I tried at first eating citrus and subacid fruits first thing in the morning, then a sweet fruit snack, then my green smoothie, and waited illthe end f the day for the fats/proteins all by themselves, in the name of proper sequential food combining and digestive ease.

But, though I feel very light, clean, and energetic on straight fruit, I also get hungry faster than say on a green drink. Then, at the end of the day, when I'd have my fats alone, they sat heavy and thick in my stomach and made me feel sluggish, icky, and terrible. Now, for one of my fruit smoothies, I combine sweet fruit with citrus/subacid and some avocado. I feel more satisfied, no sugar crashes, and it really holds me over for a good long time. It does feel a little heavier than straight fruit, so I think I might do straight fruit in the morning again, and then the avocado smoothie a little later. But it works immensely better for me than leaving the fats till the end of the day or eating them alone.

In the end I think it's all about not necessarily doing what was found in some book, but what works and feels best for you individually. And I'm finding that combining fats with the sugars gives me stable, long-lasting energy, so I'm thinking the chia will work beautifully as well without giving me the same heaviness as the avocado gives me.

Jakkrabbit, 10% of calories from fat is a yearly average. You may be at 5% sometimes, maybe 12 at others. Go by how your body feels/what you desire.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

It's also important to remember that 10% fat is the maximum amount, not the target. I usually consume about 5% and my yearly average is probably around 7%.

Swayze

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

so far everyone weighing in here seems to be fine on a high fruit diet. i don't do well on it nor do i think it is best long term considering the studies i have read. but considering your situation with the feeding tube it might be best for you right now.

i personally love chia seeds. i don't typically eat them with much fruit so i can't answer to that. i do find they keep me full for longer than other foods. i have had my glucose levels and liver values all checked recently and it is good. so i trust that my sugars are not too high.

• erinerin Raw Superstar

Hi Bitt - Have you eaten a high fruit diet making sure to get enough calories, keeping your fat below 10%?

I'm definitely not trying to contradict you or prove you wrong, I'm just very curious as to why it didn't work for you b/c I'm still a beginner to eating a high fruit/low fat diet myself.

Thanks! Erin

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

erin, i don't really want to turn this into why i don't eat an all fruit diet. i have done a lot of research and i have come to the conclusion that a raw diet that includes fats and dark leafy greens, sprouts, sea veggies, and green juice is a good choice for me.

i also have noticed that a lot of people who go into eating low fat/high fruit too fast go back to eating cooked foods much quicker. the friends (in real life) that do well on fruit diets have been raw a long time and did it gradually.

I'm not a fruitarian, just a frugivore. I definitely believe that greens and all the other things you mentioned above are essential for proper mineral and salt in the diet, and I don't believe fat should be cut out of anyone's diet since all our nerves are coated with a myelin sheath which is made from fat, and our organs do need a certain amount of fat protection, and all humans have a need for an essential base amount of bodyfat. Fat is imperative for brain function, for skin, hair, and nails, etc. Of every starvation victim ever autopsied, it has been shown that the point at which someone starves to death is when their body has used up every single fat store, including the ones surrounding the organs. When there is absolutely no fat reserve left, the body dies, period.