Fermented foods

So are fermented foods like tamari, pickles, and kim chi considered raw? I know some fermented foods are considered important in Macrobiotic cuisine but was not sure how raw fooders considered them.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

not all are considered raw, depends how its made. look for "living" or "raw" on the label. or make your own!

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

I live on a stomach tube - would it be beneficial in some way to be including some homemade fermented foods in my blender meals, for acidophilus, etc? I don't know much about probiotics - are they necessary to add to one's diet or does the stomach do fine making them on its own?

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

They are necessary and maximize absorption. You could add in Sauerkraut juice or cabbage rejuvelac. It has a lot of lacto-bacteria, and is the easiest to make.

http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/cabbage-rejuvelac-recipe

:)

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

feremented foods are amazing, my favorite is water kefir and raw cultured veggies.

not all are considered raw though.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

jakkrabbit--fermented foods are great!

kombucha is a liquid and you can easily buy it.

you could add probiotics to smoothies or juice. most people who have been on antibiotics at some point will benefit from replenishing the beneficial bacteria.