Dehydrator & Hydro bill

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I got a dehydrator last weekend (a Nesco...but I might return it and get an Excalibur instead). I've been running it pretty much all week trying new recipes, and I was just wondering if it will make a big difference in the hydro bill. I'm renting a basement apartment and my rent includes hydro. I'm just worried that the lady upstairs is going to be upset because the bill will be much higher. My dehydrator says it's 700W, but I have no clue what it means in terms of energy consumption. She already gets upset when I do too much laundry (2 loads a week...seriously that's nothing!), so I don't want to get yelled at again.

Have you guys noticed a change in your hydro bill when using your dehydrator a lot?

Comments

• cupcakes revengecupcakes revenge Raw Newbie

I've often wondered about how much energy it consumes, especially as you often need to run it all night...

Ok I think it works like this: 700W = .7KW so running it for 1 hour would = .7KWH (I don't know about where you live but we're charged in Ontario for KWHs)

so, Most recipes would cause you to run it all night, so let's say 10-12hours, so that's 7-8.4KWH

so if you run it every day of the week, that's 49-59kWh

Let's say you live in toronto and you've already used your allotted 1000kWh in the month, that means each additional kWh would cost 6.7 cents or $0.067 (although I think now there are peak times so nighttime use may be cheaper, but let's ignore that aspect for now)

that means that in the week you were using it, your dehydrator use would cost 3.28-3.95$

assuming my calculations are correct. you could call your hydro company to check, or even at a home depot. BUt, I think that's how it works.

that being said, 700W sounds like a lot! I support a switch to an excaibur. the design just makes more sense for raw foods too. I think the round dehydrators are designed more for fruits and jerky.