Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Why I'm So Mad At The Raw Food Movement Today - an interesting article. Thoughts?

2»

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Hi missemy, sorry I missed your post! I have no idea what your pain could be, but I would suggest a short fast or at least eating very very simply for the next week (like bananas and water only). Also, you could contact Dr. Graham on his forum "Raw Food and Sports" at vegsource.com and ask him.

Hope that helps,

Swayze

www.fitonraw.com

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

thanks...am going out right now for more fruit at least. The bananas and water sounds interesting. eyes are feeling better today, just a few sensitive spots. but my body told me last night to keep it simple !!!

• I'm curious, a couple of you mentioned that when you overdid fat, you ate fruit or something to combat the fat. I hate to admit but sometimes I screw-up and eat a few too many nuts (horrible I know) - so what can I eat to combat a high-fat meal? What cleans it out? Thanks :)

well, not an expert ecept to say what I do is eat grapefruit, that's just what my body was craving when I got sick on coconut oil. Your body may be lacking lipase, the or an enzyme that digests fats. papaya is another good fruit,in that it is one that has lipase, which is rare in that there is no fat in papaya. Ginger helps with digestion as well. And when I am desparate I put epsom salts in water if I can't sleep cuz I am so miserable and in pain. It works almost immediately, just don't overdue it (of course, it tastes so nasty would be hard to do ;) I amsure there are even more things to do, but these have worked for me.

and too are you soaking your nuts?

emily

• Hi Missemy, yep I soak my nuts. I do have trouble digesting fats and take lecithin to help. I do ok, its just that once in a while if I haven't eaten enough, I tend to eat too many nuts and then of course feel sluggish later on :( Darn things. Love the nuts - just don't like the amount of fat they have!

I KNOW!! I get in trouble myself. Bt if it's fat, lecithin is a fat, so just see how you feel after. when my Dr did a body scan (bio-feedback) my body was exceptionally low in lisene, so am looking forward to seeing if that helps..after I do a fruit fast...;)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

If you've eaten too much fat and are really feeling it, the last thing you want to eat is sweet fruit soon afterward. Instead, just take a break from food for the rest of the day and resume with simple fruits and veggies the next day.

Swayze

• Yes, really agree with you. The cashews alone would kill my system.

And high salt should be a no-no. In fact, no salt. How would things taste then?

And I wonder if dehydrating is truly "raw?" Dehydrating just seems to be a "deadifying" thing.

I've heard so much good about Juliano's. Oily and Salty? Sounds like a typical regular type restaurant. Guess that's what people are looking for tho. Oh well.

PS: So cool you got to go to Costa Rica. Sounds like a heavenly meal.

• My thoughts. And before I share...let me just say I don't have quite the experience some of you do, and I don't really do a lot of research.

But that's pretty much where my thoughts lie: I eat what feels right.

Let me be specific though. Someone could confuse their addictive cravings for something they "need". But I've learned to identify what is an addictive craving and what is a REAL craving. Addictive cravings I get a LOT with nut butters. And I know it's addictive because no matter how much of it I eat, I still have the craving...even after I eat so much that I feel sick.

A real craving, imo, is one that is satisfied when you've eaten a sufficient amount of it, and when you have, you do not feel sick from it.

Anyway this seems off topic but it isn't.

There is such a huge debate, constantly, in the raw food world between high-fat or low-fat. Some people go into so much detail as to record all the food they eat everyday to calculate percentages. Some (probably MORE than some) 80-10-10ers do this, and it makes no sense to me, because the whole theory is to eat the way our bodies were designed to...primitively... whole foods from nature, etc. But when we were humans a long time ago and pigging out on fruits, veggies, etc. from nature, we didn't have computers to tell us what percentage of fat and carbs we were getting. We just ate what was available until our bodies told us we were sustained.

So what about instead of trying to decide what diet is right...low-fat, or high-fat...you just eat what your individual body tells you that you need? *shrugs*

Sometimes I DO need more fat than other times. There are times where I feel healthy, vibrant, and satisfied off of pretty much fruits alone. There are times where 1/2 an avocado isn't going to cut it. And I'll eat a whole avocado, and heck, maybe even some almonds while I'm at it.

I've tried 80-10-10, and I've done the whole "as long as its raw" thing too. And one thing rang true for both: when I spend too much time trying to decide what is "acceptable" or "unacceptable" and I limit myself based on these standards...I usually end up not feeling so great, and not being able to follow through.

Once I stop obsessing over whether or not I should eat salt, or the other half of that avocado, or if 10 bananas is "too much"--- I feel a lot better. Somedays all I want is bananas, and it's all I need. Other days are different.

I personally think that most of the raw community as a whole gets WAY too hung up on an outlined diet.

I started working at an organic farm this spring, and it's part of what has changed my attitude. Now that I do not have to pay for much of any produce (besides most [sweet] fruit, because they don't grow a lot of fruit besides strawberries and melons) I eat what I'm given for the week from the farm, and that's it. I do what any caveman would have done, and I eat what I have available. (you can also do this just by eating local in-season and things that are on sale too!) I don't count calories, don't calculate percentages, and I don't avoid stuff that I feel like eating (salt, avocado, etc)

and I feel better than ever. That is another thing. I think organic DOES make a huge difference. There has been discussion about regular produce vs. organic, and how most people can't afford organic all the time, but honestly if there's any way that you CAN get your hands on organic, I have noticed that I definitely feel a lot different now that everything I eat is farm fresh and organic. I do this thing through a CSA program, and I work every Saturday for 4 and a half hours and as a result I get a hefty box of produce weekly for the work I put in. and I don't have to pay a dime, just my time. I would suggest looking into it...it's a good way to get GOOD food in your body without going broke! It has actually SAVED me sooo much money this summer, I can't even believe it.

so basically the point of everything I'm trying to say is... stop worrying so much and trying to find some master design to eating! your body will tell you what you need if you ACTUALLY listen to it! don't eat things that make you feel like crap, and don't eat things that don't make you feel like crap UNTIL they make you feel like crap (and that's probably what they mean when they say don't overeat... I feel fine eating a handful of almonds. but if I eat 2 cups of almonds --which I've totally done before--- I'm going to feel like crap--but almonds aren't bad! just if I eat them beyond what I need)

I have to admit that is one reason I have been less active around raw message boards. I get a little frustrated because everyone debates relentlessly about the "proper way to eat"--and the proper way to eat is different for every individual.

let me just say too, that, it took me a long time to get my mind actually connected with my body. it's hard to do in our modern world. but because I had suffered from eating disorders growing up, it was something that as an adult I felt I HAD to learn to avoid going through more BS with eating issues. the body and mind connection...I like to call it the "bind" (perfect, isn't it?) is the MOST IMPORTANT TOOL YOU HAVE to your own best nutrition!

thanks and I hope I didn't offend anyone...

• Tweedle- really enjoyed your post! a lot of what you said rang true for me. I'm now just learning to reconnect with my body and not let the modern world and 'diet' dictate to me what i should or shouldn't eat. i know for me, eating real foods is what my body is craving now. But you are so right i letting our bodies tell us what it needs at eat meal each day, whether fruits, veggies or nuts. each may be different, but that's the fun of letting your body grow and flourish..

thank you for sharing your thoughts..

much blessings..

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

That was a great post, Tweedle. I have my own large garden, and I've experienced much the same--I eat whatever is coming up, without making any rules or distinctions that don't come from reading my own body--I eat green leafy vegetables whether they are called 'herbs' or not, I eat turnips and daikon radishes without thinking about whether humans 'should' be eating roots... And I definitely do not count calories or define myself or my eating habits based on calories.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Go tweedle and ceidren! I'm SO for organic food- it not only tastes better but "vibrationally" it feels different to me..apologies for the slightly hippyish, pagany post!

"so basically the point of everything I'm trying to say is... stop worrying so much and trying to find some master design to eating! your body will tell you what you need if you ACTUALLY listen to it! "

It was through listening to my body crying out with eczema that I went high raw/wholefood vegan.

Mother Earth knows best.;)

• I do agree with what Frederic Patenaude says about gourmet raw food. It tries to copy cooked food, but it doesn't even come close in taste! When I first started eating raw food, I tried a lot of these recipes for things like lasagna, etc. and was always dissapointed because they taste nothing like the cooked versions. I found myself wondering why people were not just making up new recipes with raw food that were not based on cooked dishes. I am still fairly new to raw food and still learning. Thanks for sharing that article!

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

The strawberry pie by Jonsi and Alex does- in fact it is tastier than usual flans! I'm quite good at cooking I've been told so when I get a blender I shall be experimenting a lot! Check out their website for their free recipe book- their recipes are stunning.They are certified raw chefs.