Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Paleo diet

If those who follow the Paleo or Caveman diet ate their meat raw(like sushimi)or dried(like jerky) would they then be on a raw food diet also or does raw food imply vegetarianism? Just curious about what defines a raw food diet.

Comments

• It's my understanding that a raw food diet is just simply that- the food is raw (whether it be fruit, veggies, dairy or meat). It seems that raw vegan diets are more common. But, more common doesn't mean it's the only way of course. I know Carol Alt has a book out that is raw, but not vegan.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

What defines a raw food diet on this site is uncooked vegan food - fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. I find it funny that you are neither raw nor vegan, yet still hang out here, lol. But, its good to get the variety I guess.

• Jon,

I did not know you ran this site or that your opinion represents all the members here. I am here because I love raw food and understand the benefits of eating it. No, I am not a vegan. I have eaten this way in past as well as practiced a Macrobiotic diet., but after reading a lot of the dietary information, research, historical, and current evidence which promotes and discourages diffrent foods I have settled on the diet I now eat. Because of the extreme physical pressures I subject my body to, I am able to see a diffrence in preformance and recovery from one diet to another. I now (personally ) do not believe man to be a vegeteraian species, nor do I believe that this type of diet is healthy.

I find it funny that you are a Christian and a vegan. I was just wondering which parts of the bible, New and Old Testiment that you believe or go by to justify your adhearance to a vegetarian lifestyle. I find many who follow the bible are pick and choosers. They pick only the parts that they like and agree with and ignore other parts. I only ask you this because it is rare to find a Christian who is a vegan . After reading the bible, I find it a hard stretch to settle on vegetarianism based on scriptures. You might want to check out this website that narrows it down a little more: http://www.biblelife.org/biblediet.htm

And yes, variety is the spice of life.

Good health and long life to you,

Steve

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Where in the Bible does it say, "Thou must eat meat?" I don't understand how choosing a healthier option to cattle fed growth hormones, antibiotics, additives, and meat products (cows definitely weren't intended to be omnivores and they certainly weren't meant to consume the scrapings of the bottom of the chicken plant floors) could be considered being a bad Christian. I'm just curious about your reasoning.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Heh, yeah I wasn't knocking you. Friendly teasing, no? What you do is cool. I just find it ironic that you post here a lot. Like, it would be like if I started posting vegan stuff on a paleo-diet site. Sorry if that's not ironic :( Also, I'm not vegan because I think its a Biblical idea. I just think its a really really good idea. That's why I participate in vegan forums.

• I agree with you 100%. As far as what the bible says about meat, maybe you should have read the link. I don't think I mentioned anything about being a "bad Christian". I'm just confused about your deduction.

• Jon,

I'm sorry I took your "friendly teasing" the wrong way. I guess something is lost in this type of communication. Well, I dont think I have posted anything here promoting a Paleo diet and I certainly don't eat everything on that diet. OK, so you don't go by what is written in the bible, fair enough. And I think I have made it pretty clear why I participate in this "raw" fourm.

Peace,

Steve

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Its ok. And, this is pretty off topic, but I do live by what the Bible says. But Jesus doesn't enforce or even suggest any one type of diet or the other. In terms of doctrine, things like diets are just a distraction from the essence of the gospel (Colossians 2:8-20)

P.S. even if the link you gave contains accurate information, it is extremely harsh and I dare say hateful, claiming things such as "Vegetarians worship animals and not God". This, again, is not the heart for one another that we should have (Romans 14). Instead, we are called to love and accept each other, put our petty differences aside, and focus on what's really important.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Lord.... I went to this link provided and if I dont comment on it I may have nightmares tonight!

'Many people read Leviticus 7:23 and 24 out of context and claim that the Bible says we are not to eat animal fat. Vegetarians, who worship animals and not God, use these verses in hopes of duping the uninformed into refraining from eating animal products. They will simply try anything to discourage others from eating animals because they fear their reincarnated grandmother could be their dinner'.

WTF? I worship animals and not god? I am DUPING the uninformed? WTF???

'Leviticus 7:23 "Speak to the children of Israel, saying: `You shall not eat any fat, of ox or sheep or goat. 24 `And the fat of an animal that dies [naturally], and the fat of what is torn by wild beasts, may be used in any other way; but you shall by no means eat it.'

'The books and websites that use these verses to discourage others from eating animal fats never list verse 25 or other verses that help to give the true Biblical meaning. Instead, they deliberately distort the verses to fit their agenda.'

WTF? I am distorting things to fit my agenda? The last time I checked RELIGION is an AGENDA!!!!!!!!!

My brain.......exploded............everywhere......

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

...and this is why...I am a proud born again "atheist" ...

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

The link was the most disturbing part. Vegans are animal worshipers.... that's news to me. THAT deduction is what I have a problem with.

• Oooops, I missed that Quakwatch.com review of Rev. George at the bottom there. That does sound rather harsh, but I think it was in response to what this Rev. was doing and not so much directed towards vegetarians in general. Anyways, sorry, no offense meant.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Yeah, I figured you just googled "biblical diet" or something. But, I think a lot of the "science" that they mention is wack too, besides the religious bigotry.

But anyway back to the original topic!

I think this is a great video regarding the subject:

Why Indigenous People Can Be Healthy on Different Diets

• No, I did not google it. Try that yourself and see what you get. I just posted it because it has direct quotes from the bible regarding its take on diet.

Anyways, yes, the original topic was: what qualifies as raw food? and I got two different takes on it.

Thanks for your input.

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

I'll never understand the fuss about biblical diets. Does it really matter what they ate in Biblical times? Should we also try to dress like Jesus dressed, speak the same languages he spoke, live in the same type of dwellings, renounce all modern technology, and move to where Jesus and the apostles lived? And especially if we're following the Old Testament to a "T" , then us women are in big trouble, because we are "unclean" every month.

If someone is not willing/ able to do all of those things (who would be?), but eats fish or other animals because Jesus did, then wouldn't that be "picking and choosing" what parts of the Bible to follow?

I don't think God is so picky :) There's a reason He gave us countless fruits and vegetables.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I meant to post this earlier in regards to:

"i did not know you ran this site or that your opinion represents all the members here. I am here because I love raw food and understand the benefits of eating it. No, I am not a vegan"

The name of this site : Gone Raw, sharing raw vegan recipes and advice.

I think that is what determines the type of site this is. I think anyone is welcome, but to argue about the pros of meat eating on a vegan site is silly.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Oh, man, can't we keep the religious talk in that thread about religion? I'd like more logic-, experience-, and science-based talk in our regular threads. Please!

Try Give It To Me Raw forum, to the OP. :)

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Superfood- Are you on that forum? The give it to me raw? I could be thinking about We Like It raw too but I am just curious! Do you like it?

• You are right on some points Bro.

I have more respect for your opinion than some others here. At least you are an athelete.

But as with any diet, you can always find people who go to extremes and end up sick, fat, or lethargic(vegan included). I have sure seen my fair share of fat and/or sickly looking vegans. I see a lot of posts here where people are complaining about being tired and having no energy.

I am not 100% vegan since I do eat some types of fish and eggs on occasion. Other than that, no animal products and have been eating this way since I was 17. I am now 43 and have not suffered from any chronic illnesses and can compete and hang with most in their 20s. I have gone Macro as well as 100% vegan before and my strength and output suffered. I know this because I always measure my times and weights. And since I fight, I can also see how long it takes me to get gassed while sparring or grappling. I would rather go by something tangable rather than something I have read or some philisophical ideal. In other words, show me the results!

Still like hanging here though, lots of good recipies and ideas.

And yes, I see this is a vegan, raw food forum. I know vegans, in general do not have very thick skins (been there and understand why) so my applogies to anyone that I have offended.

• Never said I follow the bible. I am a Spiritualist and you are 100% right.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

No, I'm not on Give It To Me Raw. :)

• I am transitioning my diet for health, weight loss, and because i feel it is my biblical responsibility to eat healthy and take care of the temple i was given to use in this world.

I don't really think it is was very nice to take a discussion about diet and food to a religion knocking session. Especially since it was completely off topic and irrelevant... i would not bash anyones choice of religion on here (or anywhere)... it is about food.

and for the record, i don't know of many christians who think vegans worship animals... i don't. I am a hippy conservative, that is my official standing. lol, i am conservative spiritually, but also very into environmentalism, animal rights and being a strong woman. I am also a christian. THERE IS A BALANCE. what is wrong with taking care of the bodies and earth God gave us...while still loving and respecting the one who created it?

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

yeah, I don't think there's anyone here who would argue that there's something wrong with that. this thread puttered out a while ago. whatever group of people say that vegans worship animals are definitely the minority, and probably say so just because they suffer from such poor well-being and upbringing of ignorance