Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

An article I read on B12 - thoughts?

jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

http://frugivorelifestyle.com/B-12.html

Of all the controversies surrounding the frugivore diet, the most persistent and pervasive "hot button issue" is the issue of vitamin B-12. The idea that a raw fruit and vegetable based lifestyle will cause any type of deficiency is often brought up and expounded upon and can, on the surface, seem to discredit a diet containing no animal products. Even those ostensibly claiming to promote vegan diets have sometimes fallen prey to the idea, proposing that vegans must supplement, or resort to unappealing practices like eating soil or insects.

The efforts to imply, or outright state, that the frugivore diet will result in a B-12 deficiency are sometimes deliberate and sometimes unintentional. Either way, they serve to damage the credibility and perceived adequacy of a fruit and vegetable based diet, and should be addressed.

Also, it is an unfortunate fact that there are facets of society and commerce whose best interests are tied up with promoting a continued reliance on meat, dairy, and cooked foods. Becoming well informed will reduce susceptibility to misinformation, and can help people to avoid the trap of fear that might lead them to the mistaken conclusion that a diet without animal products is somehow flawed and insufficient.

Nothing could be further from the truth. In reality, a properly planned frugivore lifestyle will ensure a lifetime of optimum levels of all vitamins, including B-12. The ironic point about this issue is that the diet most likely to result in a B-12 deficiency is, in fact, the standard diet consumed by most of the world, heavy on meat and animal fat. If one were to rely solely on information garnered from those parties promoting animal products, one would believe the exact opposite. Fortunately, science, chemistry, and biology reveal the truth of the matter.

It should first be mentioned that even if a diet without animal foods were somehow deficient in vitamin B-12 (which it is not,) it would take years for the deficiency to manifest. Vitamin B12 is recycled by the body, in a process known as enterohepatic circulation. This means that even on a diet low in B12, the body can absorb adequate amounts for up to 20 years (if the diet is balanced and the individual is healthy.) If the individual is not healthy, and is not consuming sufficient nutrition, and is suffering from gastritis or other digestive disorder, then an individual may become B12 deficient in as little as 3 years.

This is a far cry from the often-frightening stories told. The misinformation out there can often dissuade anyone from even attempting to live a frugivore lifestyle, and causes many to believe that a B12 deficiency might manifest in days, weeks, or months. But because of enterohepatic circulation, it is clear that even with zero B12 intake, the body will not experience a lack of B12 for anywhere between 3 and 20 years!

It becomes clearer, then, that the majority of tales told of people experiencing B12 deficiency must not be due to any lack of the vitamin in their diet. And the research backs this up: multiple studies have made it clear that the vast majority of vitamin deficiency of any kind, including B12, is due not to a lack of the vitamin in the diet, but rather to an inability of the body to properly absorb the vitamin in the intestinal tract. And, as mentioned, it is a diet heavy in meat, alcohol, milk, and prescription drugs such as antibiotics, that will most likely result in a maladjusted absorption system. In fact, there has never been any correlation demonstrated between a lack of B12 in the diet, and a manifested B12 deficiency. The common factor to all cases of B12 deficiency is malabsorbtion and a lack of overall health and vitality.

It should be mentioned here that supplementation is never a long-term solution. Of course if somebody is exhibiting vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms, and have been tested and proven to be dangerously deficient, then the intelligent decision might be to temporarily supplement to prevent permanent physical harm. But long term, supplementation will

not eliminate the cause of the deficiency. In fact, most B12 supplements contain B12 in a form not readily useable by the human body. This form is called cyanocobalamin, and is semi-synthetic, bound up with the toxic poison, cyanide. It will result in elevated B12 measurements in the blood stream, temporarily. But after 24 hours only 10% or less of the actual B12 will remain in the cells, the rest having been eliminated by the body due to the synthetic elements.

The improved energy and sense of well being experienced after taking a cyanocobalamin B12 supplement is due to stimulation. The body responds to the toxic by releasing a massive rush of energy, in an attempt to neutralize and eliminate the poison. Because of this, people are often under the impression that the supplement has "cured" them, when in actuality they are no better off than before.

Many people attempt to "supplement" B12 by consuming marine algae

Comments

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

Amen to all that. =-) Thanks for such great info!!!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Wonderful post, jakkrabbit! Very thorough article, thanks for this. :)

Swayze

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Where did this information come from? A pro LFRV site or article? Purely curious....

Oh... doh... saw the link above. Where do they get their information? I couldnt find it anywhere on their site. I know this debate will continue on and on because when it comes down to it it is a science... and we are forever learning new things about what we THOUGHT to be true. Some of that stuff I completely agree with and other stuff not so much. I dont believe that if I am making myself a smoothie from frozen fruits (no preservatives of course) then it is the same as drinking a frozen coffee treat. I get the purist/unadulterated mentality but dont tell others they are harming their body by drinking something cold. This article is just a bit too far left for me. Sorry..... good thing that I atleast have the mentality that it CAN work for some....

Cheers!

• rawpretzelarawpretzela Raw Newbie

I think this is great info and don't want to be rude at all but sorry that just can't be true, I mean, come on is not like b-12 can be produced by our body or I can live without consuming it for 20 years our body needs it, and I know this because I became anemic because of the lack of b-12 and I follow the 80/10/10 also I'm 100% raw. I don't know why, but lately i feel like there is so many different things here, the diet of this, the diet of that, this is a lifestyle and is horrible when I get here and I read so many different stuff, I mean what I would love to follow is the low fat raw diet I think is the best one, but I made it and I felt terrible!! I was weak and feeling terrible, had no energy and still having some lack of energy this days.. I really don't know what is going on with my body and that is what makes me feel so saaaddd!! I hear everybody talks about how much energy they have etc and that what I want to have too!! I don't know, maybe this is just to much info for me and I'm getting confused.. anyway I wish the best to everyone!!!

• I'm vegetarian (and fluctuate between following a vegan diet to going back to lacto/ovo veg). So, I don't in any way feel the need to bash vegetarian or vegan diets. That said, quite a bit of the article's claims, according to most credible nutritional sources (including sources quoted on vegan sites) completely disagrees with the claims that b-12 is present in veggies and fruit (properly washed, without soil and bugs). This is in no way saying a vegan diet is unhealthy. But most vegan sites now encourage vegans to supplement with b-12 vitamins. I'm curious of the article's authors sources, she doesn't site any? Not including sources to back up claims in an article is usually a bad sign in my way of thinking. I honestly would caution people from taking the article as an end all in the discussion of b-12. I don't think being honest about concern for a possible deficiency means that a vegan diet is "flawed." I would agree that many times b-12 problems are absorbtion problems (common in omnivores), but they can be a problem if you don't consume any animal products and don't get the b-12 in another way.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Rawpretzela- It is true that b-12 is produced in our own bodies... that much is true.... we can only produce it in a stable and healthy stomach/ digestive track/intestines though. Being how most people dont have perfectly performing systems our bodies dont produce nearly enough of it. Also... our bodies retain the crap out of it so a little bit goes a long way! I used to be anemic but have not had problems in about 5 years. I was a horribly unhealthy vegan for the first year or so and had real problems with anemia.. but with time you learn and make mistakes!

I too dont like the article and believe it is articles like this that is going to potentially frighten new comers away. They are going to think that being Vegan is not good enough.... being vegetarian is not good enough... not even being RAW is good enough. We have to be FRUGIVORES????? Well if I were new to raw foods and I saw that I would be horrified. Being raw has its own challenges let alone taking it to that level. I was lucky and found veganism 9 years ago so was used to a more natural lifestyle...

I too share your frustration with the article but dont be closed minded about the whole thing. There are valid points. Do your OWN research though and find out for yourself. Be your own teacher. Clearly be skeptical of blogs and look for as much information as you can and come to your own conclusion. I have a blog where I post lots of information and recipes and such but I TRY to make sure I NEVER dish out my own personal views on medical issues. I dont think its right...

Cheers!