What to do for a Living

marcellmarcell Raw Newbie

Hey, i have been struggling with this for a while now and i just can't seem to find out what i want to do for a living, sure i got a job atm but i allways look at it as something for just for now temporary, i dont earn that much but its ok since i dont work that hard just a halftime job, still i havent found out what i really want to do yet. im 29 now and never got into anything just these easy jobs just to stay alive.

There are a lot of things i could do... I could even go study but I just dont know what... Its all so unmotivating to me, and its not me if there were things that inspre me to study id go for it but there isnt anything. Id love to get into organic gardening but i cant find a place to get the job or education anywhere its pretty rare here, i got myself some books about and stuff but without some land to start and just me alone etc its kind of depressing sometimes... Sometimes i feel like a complete Loser because i didnt learn anything really Jobwise, what do you guys do for a living or what would you want to do?

AbhijitChavan

Comments

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

I know what you mean, although I'm at a different crossroads. I gave up my career when I had kids and now I don't really want to go back to it (healthcare, off-shifts, rotating weekends, etc - not great for a single mom!). For just about 4 years now, I've been delivering newspapers and magazines and actually make enough money at it! It's been great because I never had to put the kids in daycare, but now the first is in 1st grade and the 2nd will start kindergarten next fall. So I've been trying to figure out what direction I'd like to go in now that I'll actually have kid-free time during the day to earn a living.

Right now, I'm starting a new business as an advocate for medical bills. Checking for errors, overcharges, and such, making sure insurance pays what it's supposed to, and getting people refunds. It's helpful for people with insurance, but even more so for the uninsured who are expected to pay full-price when no one else does. Something I can feel good about without actually working in the healthcare system again. ;) We'll see where it goes.........

What area of the country are you in? That might help folks give you some ideas! :)

AbhijitChavan
  • AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I am a grade 2 teacher in Ontario, Canada. I would also love to get into some sort of health related career (maybe on the side). I've always been interested in holistic nutrition or even becoming a raw chef, but I think that my teaching job is more stable at the moment. But since I have the summer off, maybe I could do that too!

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I hear you.... I am 31 and and have never been the 'career' type. I went to school haphazardly not really knowing what I wanted to study so I spent ALOT of (my parents) money taking Misc classes getting me NOWHERE towards a degree. It just passed time. Being older however I think people develop an appreciation for education. Rather than... 'I am out of high school so will go to college and study X'

I have been doing coffee now for many years and LOVE it. Though.... being a barista you dont make THAT much money. I am damn good at what I do and live in the hub of coffee.....seattle. Working in indie coffee shops I can make around $25.00-$30.00 an hour but it is all tip based and unreliable. It always averages but when your shitty with money and you need to pay bills.... you need stability. Tips blow through my wallet like kleenex. So what I finally decided to do is make my own destiny and start my own business. If I am work in a coffee house and make all that in tips.... I might as well use my talents and benefit from the profits of the company as well!

I also love nutrition and Raw foods of course so I am able to do some coaching on the side to pull in some money on the side. Which will be super beneficial when my coffee house ACTUALLY opens. I want to incorporate the two as well and serve some raw goodies in the coffee house. The two can cross over.

It means I am also able to go into business with my boyfriend and thats amazing. I get to do what I love, do what I am amazing at AND do it with someone I love. Pretty cool!

Then what I would LIKE to do is have my boyfriend do something he has wanted to do for a long time and thats make T-shirts via silk screening. I even bought him a silk screening machine this past x-mas so he can get started on it. Then hopefully we could incorporate that into the shop and he can have his own projects going on.

Right now we are crossing our fingers on securing a place for the shop. I feel it can happen in the 2 months.....very exciting!

Cheers!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I'm in a similar boat. However, if you're really into gardening, you may find someone in your neighborhood who would let you garden part of their land if you share the produce with them. I think lots of people would like to grow food, but don't want the headache of taking care of it. There are small-scale farmers who make a living farming others' land--you could too! Now that people are really paying attention to what they're eating and "food miles," it seems like a good time to go into that line of work.