Frustrated with trying to be more organized & planning for meals via use of recipes. Winging it seem

I have become quite frustrated with the outcome of any & all raw soups I have prepared thus far because of the amount of air bubbles & foam as the end result. It's extremely unappealing to me and immediately gives me the dry heaves & excessive burping. Green smoothies on the other hand are lovely & I look forward to them all throughout the day. I honestly think if I could afford it I would juice feast & nourish myself with green smoothies & green juices for at least 30 days with no complaints other than the financial dent it would leave me. We grew many of our greens this year & have not been able to rely solely on our garden. I have used my vita-mix each time & tried a variation of speeds & duration, etc... I just can't seem to get the hang of it & am even on the verge of giving up on these kinds of blended foods. Everything was much simpler for me prior to attempting to follow recipes. I feel as though my only choice is to go back to eating extremely basic meals where I will eliminate the use of recipes & just chop, slice, shred, spiralize, etc... up a bunch of stuff which feels appealing to me @ the time & serve it with a side of seaweed , some homemade flax crackers and / or sprouts. A dash of this, a dash of that... garlic, celtic or himalayan sea salt, curry, chili, chipotle, turmeric, ginger, essential food oils from Elaina Love's website etc... you know... whatever fits the bill @ the moment. I need a larger spice cabinet. The list goes on & on. Does anyone else ever just "WING" it without getting bored. I am soooooo BORED & want to successfully prepare a meal with the aid of a recipe without feeling like a dismal failure, wasting a bunch of produce, & feeling intimidated about giving it another shot. RAMBLING blah blah =) Sincere thanks for the vent.

Comments

• Butterfly3588Butterfly3588 Raw Newbie

I totally hear you on this one.. I started off with the recipe books and sure they gave me ideas but i find it more affordable and easier if i plan simple meals in the beggining of the week and stock up on that. Or sometimes i do not even plan and i just buy a bunch of stuff and let my creative juices flow.

I gotta tell you, Nori Wraps are a huge part of my diet because they are more fun to eat than a big mish mosh salad. And when i do make a big mish mosh salad the whole key to making it more interesting is making differnet dressings. Sometimes i puree sunflower sproats with garlic, lemon, soy sauce, parsley. Oh gosh there are so many combinations of dressings that create different flavors or textures.

You just have to take a few hours to play around with flavors and textures. That is all the advice i can give.

• I rarely use recipes! And if I do it's mostly just for ideas. Virtually all my meals are improvised on the spot from whatever I have in the kitchen, and most of the time it works fine. My lunch today was some lettuce and fruit eaten with my hands, no preparation involved. That's about as satisfying as you can get!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I very rarely make soups, and when I do, it's always my own creation. Why do you feel like you should make blended soups? Especially if you can't stomach them? I too like recipes for inspiration, such as which flavors would go well together, but I almost always improvise. Like you, I have found that some raw recipes wind up an expensive, inedible mess.

If I feel like I need a change food-wise, I buy different foods than I usually buy, or just put together foods I don't usually put together. And yeah, my spice collection is getting out of hand too.

• I haven't much time to write @ the moment. Bouncing back & forth between doing laundry, dishes, & checking in here on this superb website I stumbled across yesterday. I'm about to settle our little five year old in for the evening with a story or two, take the doggies out to "get busy", & hopefully go to bed at a decent time for a change. I'm a night owl if not disciplined & can be found piddling around in the garden @ odd hours.

Sincere thanks to you Miss Butterfly and Deadly Steve for taking the time to respond!!! I am feeling considerably better this evening ~ a lot less frustrated & emotional. I've been on a gallbladder & liver cleanse this week and it's most assuredly an emotional roller coaster.

Steve, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE EATING WITH MY HANDS!!! This morning I had a grapefruit followed by a cucumber & red bell pepper about an hour later. I really enjoy the simplicity of eating these fruits just like an apple. I often get stuck standing in front of the fridge with the door wide open eating mixed salad greens right out of the tub with my hands. That's the BEST! Especially arugula & cilantro. Sometimes I'll stand there with a wedge of lime & take a little nibble of the lime in between handfuls of the greens. I'm looking forward to eating a durian this coming weekend. I've never tried to make anything with it such as ice cream or custard type deserts. I lack the confidence and feel intimidated. It's absolutely amazing to me how much joy I get out of the whole process of cutting it open & tearing into the pods (carefully as to not injure my dang finger tips) and pulling out the globs of fruit ~ not to mention the tryptophan rush! AnyWho...

Rambling again.... I've never participated in any kind of blog/forum website so this is truly a first. A lovely and unique experience. I am steadfastly growing to LOVE this opportunity of reaching out to others whom share a similar passion for wellness & simplicity.

~Peace, Love, & Light~

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

i like recipes they help me to preplan things so i just have to look then bang off the meals for the day, when im not planned i begin to think hmm what can i have, even with a cupboard full of ingredients then leads to me cheating.

• Eating random stuff with your hands just feels so RIGHT doesn't it? :) Tell you what, you've landed on your feet with this website alright. I won't name names but I've seen plenty of raw food message boards that are full of elitism and snobbery and people pushing crap like breatharianism. This website is class though!