Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I Stink.

Not horribly but i have been using Toms natural lavender deodorant instead of the crappy kinds with all the crappy stuff in it. Well anyway, my co-workers say they cannot smell the BO unless they stick there head right by my armpit but I can smell myself and it just bothers me..

So whadda ya got? What works for you?

Comments

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

How long have you been raw?Are you raw? I only perspire or sweat when I have a crazy amount of toxins in my system. Or....even when I would cheat and eat some kind carb..like a tortilla... I would stink for the following two days. It's cases like that that make you realize how food affects you. Being 100% raw I never have B.O problems...but man... give me some form of cooked anything and WATCH OUT.

Have you tried form of detox to move the toxins out?

I am also going to toss this out there.... you should purchase 'Kiss my face' or some other natural deodorant. Tom's is owned by colgate and they test on animals.... it makes bunnies sad! :)

Cheers!

• ahh I had no idea about Tom's... totally going for kiss my face now! Thanks for the info iliveyourdream!! :D

I feel like you've been raw for a while butterfly.. I mean I feel like I've seen you on here for a while... I wonder what's going on. Any diet changes/deo changes?? maybe you are just working out some built up toxins that are just now releasing... I have noticed at night I am sweating, so I think I am going through another detox phase--my body is finially like okkkaaayy okay this is it .. I get it ... I'll get rid of everything. I don't know though..

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Ah yes, you'd smell if you are detoxing/cleansing.

I have similar issues when eating a high raw diet or cleansing. It's especially noticeable in the sauna when I do a hot-cold hydrotherapy cleanse.

Have you tried the thai (salt) stone.... you gotta really rub that stuff on. I think it works well... during winter months. *hehe*

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I use Kiss My Face. It seems to work okay... but I definitely stink after I workout. I don't really care too much about my scent though haha sweating is normal. Have you tried essential oils??

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Baking soda is the best deodorant I've ever used. Pot a little in your hand with enough water to make a watery paste (or a whitish liquid), and smush in your armpits. Works great for 24 hours, even after running. And otherwise I would stink.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I should try the baking soda thing.....do they make organic versions of that? I do not purchase Arm and Hammer due to their HEAVY use of animal testing!

Recommendations? I would like my 10 year old to perhaps try that method. I have clearly heard of people doing this method but have never needed it myself. Alas my daughter is aging....ugh.....puberty.....

Cheers!

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

I didn't know about Arm and Hammer testing on animals- thank you for the info! I'll have to buy another brand.

• Butterfly,

Sweating is natural- it's how we cool our selves off. So don't feel bad about it. Bacteria like those warm wet places like underarms. Even in raw vegans you are going to have bacteria there. Hence, chance for odor. When I was in school (many years ago now) I ran track. I remember running against a girl who had some type of disorder where she couldn't sweat properly. It stuck out in my mind for some reason. Anyways- we were distance runners. She had to cut back to basically no more than a half mile because of the chances of overheating. She found out the hard way- didn't sweat during a run and passed out from it. No more mile and 2 mile events for her. So- sweats good.

Something to think on. Underarm hair gives bacteria a good place to stay and hangout more between showers. I know not all women shave (in the USA it's common, but I believe not in all countries). Keeping the pits shaved (or being more consistent and not forgetting for a couple weeks like I do sometimes) helps too if you don't want to do the antiperspirant thing. I know underarm hair is a weird thing to bring up, but thought I'd throw it in all the same.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

susan, that recipe looks promising! i'm gonna try this when my deodorant runs out.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

You guys! I didn't realize this when I posted earlier, but this lady has a video tutorial and an FAQ about the coconut oil deodorant! It's pretty cool. Here's the link: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/02/homemade-all-natural-deodorant.html

• Butterfly3588Butterfly3588 Raw Newbie

man you guys write back fast.. lol. Well i don't know what to answer first but i am not 100% raw 100% of the time and i am very new to it so maybe it is toxins being released, maybe it is the non-raw foods, whatever it is, i don't like it so i am might take the suggestion of using baking soda and being more conscious of what goes in my mouth.. i did try essential oils today and i did not smell as bad! =)

i am going to see Alice In Wonderland tonight, can't wait!!

• also rubbing alcohol or some type of alcohol works great. Burt's Bees Herbal Defense has alcohol and essential oils and it holds my husband- he loves it. I use the Crystal Body Deodorant or Burt's. Nothing from Tom of Maine's worked for me (except the toothpastes).

I wrote an article on this top for my paper and posted it on my site http://www.veganatgenesis.com/2010/01/should-you-repress-your-sweat.html

• I did pick up some chlorophyll today from the health food store- spearmint flavored. It's supposed to eliminate odor (breathe, bowels, and under arm ). You could give it a try.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Wow, now I know what to do with my arrowroot! Interesting link susan121.

Ah yes, chlorophyll is supposed to be a... deodorizer - eh?

• Well I bought the chlorophyll and it does work-exactly like it says.

• Glad I found this post. I've transitioned into a more strict raw diet in the last week and from reading this, I think the odor is just caused by toxins being released. I use the Kiss My Face Lavender rock roll thing and it works for about a half an hour and then wears off. I think I just need to keep it in my bag.

Butterfly- Did your "scent" ever go away?

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

What worked for me was going raw. I used to sweat incessantly as a teenager and it smelled horrible. I wore a jacket everyday, even during the dog days of summer, to try and mask it. This lessened a bit as I got older and got healthier but was completely eradicated once I went low fat raw. I no longer sweat for no reason anymore and my sweat doesn't stink unless I eat too much fat or salt.

That said, my Mom just started using those crsytal deodorant sticks from Whole Foods. She said they work really really well. :)

Swayze

www.fitonraw.com

• Thanks for the tip Swayze!

• Interesting....I've wanted to post a question on here about the exact same thing.

I shave my pits every time I shower, and I put my deodorant on right after I get out of the shower (Dessert Essence natural deodorant). Tried many organic natural deodorants and none seem to work. The smell is horrid, and I love working out & in the sun so this doesn't help.

I used to clean my pits every day with peroxide but still didn't help. I don't mind sweating, it's the stink that gets me too. And it comes on maybe 5 minutes after I've put my deodorant on. Thinking about trying that recipe on passionate homemaking but nothing has worked in the past. Enough other things don't work right with my body that I wonder if there is a disease I have (like celiac) that might be affecting me. Any thoughts?

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

There's a brand called Dr Organic here in UK; it is very good works for me. I don't know if you can get it in USA- google it and see.

• GlitterGirlGlitterGirl Raw Newbie

I usually use essential oils if I need it but just recently I found this stuff called Scent of Samadhi. It was almost $30.00 (!!) but I decided to try it and it surprisingly works quite well. It's a tiny jar of a dense powder that smells fantastic. You rub the powder into your under arms as best you can with your finger tips and viola! I probably won't be buying it all the time myself but if you have $30 extra lying around you might want to give it a go!

• Looked at the recipe for the homemade natural deodorant on passionate homemaking's website and told my mom about it. She said one of the ladies from our church had given us some homemade deodorant that was almost exactly like it. (with the addition of essential oils)

I used it, and it works like a wonder! I'm so happy...I couldn't layer shirts (not even a thin tank-top) underneath or wear a sweater without smelling like a guy who'd worked out for a couple of hours. My family is grateful too....

• Arrowroot can work as a natural deodorizer, as can wheatgrass. I take this stuff with my vitamins each morning http://www.sweetwheat.com/store/wheatgrass-juice/sweet-wheat-large-capsules-60-count/ and haven't had anyone telling me I stink. I'm sure my husband would let me know LOL.

• I haven't read all the comments so apologies if my comment is redundent but here is what I have to say.

I do not stink AT ALL even when I do sweat (which is now rare) when I'm 100% raw vegan. As soon as I eat ANYTHING cooked... oh... my... gosh.... that stuff just comes right out of me and smells like your average SAD person. When I eat 100% raw vegan, my poop actually smells like cooked food... lol.

Anyway, the smell is from detoxing. Oops.... gotta run... be back later to finish up!