Why does olive oil taste different to me now?

debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

I’ve posted this topic on other forums but had no response, so hopefully with GoneRaw’s 1545 members I will! Before going raw I LOVED olive oil. For years I used to happily drown my food with it. After about a month into raw noticed that salad dressings were tasting nasty – sharp, unpleasant. Kept taking out ingredients, trying again, and it honestly took me weeks to twig that it was my beloved olive oil that was tasting horrible. I’ve tried different brands but same thing. I use cold pressed (which I know isn’t raw, but best I can get). Why would something I used to love so much, and by all accounts is still a reasonably good thing on a raw diet, now taste so disgusting to me? BTW, I’m about 90% raw. Flax oil and hemp oil I’m fine with. And I love truly raw olives. Can someone solve the mystery? Love, Debbie Took, UK.

Comments

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

same thing happened to me : ) I ‘ve been drownng my food in olive oil for as long as I can recall. especially in my vegan years. Since going raw, it no longer tastes right. I’ve just figured that my body is changing and requiring different things….I’m having the same experience with many non-raw, otherwise healthy food items. the more raw I get- the more I crave raw. simple. The craziest one for me is artichokes—my all time favorite since i was a child and my special b-day dinner every year! now when I eat them, they don’t even taste good. I feel like I can never get my long lost love back. It’s a memory…..good thing there’s a lot of raw food out there to rock my world! peace blujett

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Debbie: Why not try actual raw olive oil and see if it tastes right? You can buy it in Tescos. They do a

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

My guess is that it is the brand of olive oil that is turning you off. I have actually noticed a greater love for olive oil since I’ve been raw. It can be hard to find a really good raw olive oil and if you try different ones side by side you can really taste the differences. And stay away from the cheap stuff if you want a good oil! Olive oil can go racid very easily too if not kept in the right conditions or left on the shelf too long.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Thank you all so much for this. Bluejett – good to know I’m not the only one. Zoe and Coconutty – I’ll try the purely raw olive oil, and didn’t realise Tesco sold it. Here’s hoping…as Bluejett says it’s sort of sad losing one’s taste for something that had been so loved!

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Thought I’d better post a follow-up. Bought the Belazu in can from Tesco and still tastes…awful. Must be as Bluejett suggests – my raw body is rejecting the olive oil I used to love so much when cooked for some reason. Perhaps there’s something in it my body already has far too much of! As I said, I’m fine with hemp and flax oil, and love raw olives. Strange….