Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Fish?

2»

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

You don't have the brain capacity for avoiding threads, Eecho. :p

Fat soluble vitamins specifically K2, A, D and E. Conjugated linoliec acid. Cholesterol. Plus other good stuff

K2 appears to be a marketing ploy, from what I can tell.

A (or beta carotene) & E from plant-based sources is superior, in my opinion.

D is best from the SUN! I love the sun.

Fatty acids in greens are the best source, as well as fruit.

But good luck. I can think of lots of things that happen for thousands of years but don't use that as substantiation to do so, for example, cannabolism, suicide, becoming obese.

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

Superfood,

Please explain how vitamin k2 is a marketing ploy? Why do you think A&E are better from plant sources? Have you seen the evidence that not everyone can properly convert vitamin A? Why are greens and fruits the best sources of fatty acids?

i'm sorry, but you're the one making a claim that butter is superior, and i responded, so i'll wait for your evidence and then respond individually to each claim. don't post any studies connected to ag business or any monetary interests, please.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

Oh I'm sorry to have started this. Number One I know this a Vegan Forum, I am Vegan but I was also talking about eating something Raw and asking for help to stay on the path. It's not like I was saying 'Man, don't you love a big Mac!' - I know not everyone here IS Vegan anyway so I like to hear from everyone

But number two, I dont like how high and mighty and rude people can be to others who think differently. I appreciate all those who can give me advice on both sides, who speak from experience and don't have to snipe at how others eat.

Plus I even read the Raw Goddess herself Shazzie feeds her daughter eggs. (No need to start a debate on this if shes not your raw food idol) it was an example that everyone has their opinions on health - which is what I wanted to hear.

To those people who suggested grains/etc that is what I'm going to do first! Thank you for the practical and tactful advice. We could debate all day and say eating this or that isnt natural...but surely taking a supplement is not natural and suggests otherwise (remember I am vegan though) but it say we need to be more open to other peoples ideas and views.

I ahve taken everything into account, thank you for all your responces.

Shazzie eats a very processed "raw" diet from what I can tell. I wouldn't get health info from her or anyone who eats items out of a package in the amount that she does, also uses stimulants.

I'd go easy on the grains and only do gluten-free items. You may end up feeling worse, and should probably have a plan B, Raw passion, for when that occurs.

• Alexa, I appreciate your comments!!! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, even on a vegan forum.

Superfood 2: I am doing gluten free, though it may just ahve to be beans as I think Im allergic to grains(wheat at least), but I think having the occasional cooked beans isnt that bad.

Cool. I remember I was raw for a long time and had some rice & beans. It felt like it took three days to digest. I'm just saying that if it's been a while, I wouldn't expect to feel wonderful, but at this point, it sounds like you need a change.

• I did address that. You should read my posts!:

"No, I am not suggesting that. I'm suggesting that these nutrients are present in all animal products, and eggs are the only animal product that actually can be humane entirely. There are fundamental flaws in dairy and meat consumption that make it completely impossible to call them humane no matter how extreme the precautions."

I am not trying to insult anybody, it's just the science that I've become familiar with. I'm not attacking your mental acuity. You should look into the importance of DHA in membrane function as well as prevention of brain cell death if you haven't done so. DHA deficiency is linked to neurodegenerative diseases. EPA is very important for concentration and general brain health. If you don't have issues now, you may begin to have them later on. Or maybe they're subtle! Mine were, but I monitored myself closely for many weeks and compared that to how I felt previously. Deficiency can manifest itself in many ways. General lethargy, forgetfulness, lack of ambition, or any other sign that your mind is not as sharp as it once was can be an indicator. If you're absolutely sure that's not you (although I'm not sure how you could be), wonderful! Maybe your ancestry provides for that. As a vegan who is not so lucky as to have ancestors in certain locales near the equator, you would have to supplement with unbelievable amounts of algae or similar foods in order to achieve a nourishing level. Again, if you need to supplement it with something abstract that has not been present in the human diet through evolution, you are not following a natural diet. I have no issue at all with anybody following a vegan diet for philosophical reasons, but just know that you are making sacrifices. Supplementing the few known nutrients that the vegan diet lacks does not guarantee that you have them all covered by any means.

It is not my intention to spread "disinformation". It's difficult to settle on which information is reliable and which is not with so many conflicting viewpoints. I didn't make the choice overnight. It was extremely gradual. I took in bits of information about vegetarianism vs. veganism every day for months, really. When it started to stack up a bit higher than the pro-vegan information that I had been reading, I looked into it more closely. It's also personal experience that lead me to this point. I really cannot describe to you how much better I feel now mentally and physically.

And please, it's immature to continue insulting my mind. I'm fine with having a debate, but personal attacks are the lowest form of argument. Besides, they weren't terrible issues to being with. I was functioning pretty normally, but I wasn't excelling as I used to. Everything is back to normal! I would really not like to have any hard feelings between us anyway.

I'm really glad that some of you appreciate or at least accept my standpoint. Sorry for any drama that I've caused, but I feel that my original post was relevant and appropriate.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

Raw Passion, start keeping a food diary if you are not already. That can help pinpoint which foods are adding to your problems. It may be that switching to some other foods will alleviate symptoms, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're healing. It could be that because you haven't had those foods for a while, you don't have circulating antibodies to them anymore. But eating them consistently could bring the delayed allergy reactions back again. The best bet would be to rotate what you're eating.

So.....this could all go back to a leaky gut, which I am dealing with myself. From what I've read, the number one supplement for healing the gut is L-Glutamine in a therapeutic dose (like 1.5 gram/day). I can't take it myself because it's converted to glutamate and folks with MS already have excess glutamate in the brain, I just can't take the chance. Of course, lots of good probiotics help too. I drink kombucha but it hasn't been enough to keep me from developing new sensitivities. I have also read that zinc is helpful. And I do fast occasionally to give my digestive tract a rest, which I think is helpful, but it hasn't been the complete answer for me either.

Just some ideas of stuff for you to look into. Good luck! :)

Alexa, I thought your opinions were as valued and informative than anyone elses and were probing enough to make me think. :)

Freewitheft: I think I will start a journal. good idea :)

i'm glad you feel better, alexa. you can only state your personal experience, and those of us who are longtime vegans have our experiences as well.

• "Start keeping a food diary"- This is a good idea. There are lots of web apps to help you with that, along with calculating your nutrition. Good way to address multiple possibilities.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Hey Alexa,I Like your way of thinking.