Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

diving into raw & need some weight loss help

After months of being uncomfortable in my own skin and wanting a change, I have completely immersed myself in a raw food lifestyle. The past few days I have been 100% raw, and it feels great. However, I do find myself feeling a little bit heavy today, a little run down. I'm also very emotional today and find myself getting agitated at the body I've come to have after a few sedentary months without school or work. Since I've pretty much been hanging around the house since late January, I also find myself snacking, or grazing, all of the time. I was wondering if there is an easy way to find balance in my new diet , without having it feel restricted or too drawn out, because the thought of that does not sit well with me. I don't think the new ways I've adapted to prepare and consume food are a diet at all, but a lifestyle, so I hate to have a set plan of what I need to eat instead of just going with what my body says. But as of now my body, or more my mind I suppose, is saying snack snack snack.

This is a long post, I know, and it may sound confusing. But I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance or maybe some reassurance that my body will do what it's supposed to and I will eventually feel comfortable and know that my body is at it's peak performance level. Thank you, and any advice for me is encouraged and appreciated greatly!

Comments

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Snacking isn't bad as long as you surround yourself with healthy things. A handful of nuts here and there isn't bad, but try to reach for veggies and fruit. I will buy a box of clementines and eat 10 in a sitting. I'll snack on bananas, pears, carrots, celery...you name it. I love dehydrating kale with spices and a little lemon juice. There's so much great stuff to eat without worrying about weight gain. I'd stay away from too much nuts and "desserts", but other than that it's kinda hard to go wrong snacking on raw foods. I joke about eating all day, but haven't gained weight. Over time, your eating habits will change. I'm moving further away from gourmet and desserts and crave big meals of one thing. Unless it's a salad or soup...then I'll combine veggies.

• Get out of the house! Go walking or cycling or look for events in your area. Find things you enjoy doing. I'm the same with snacks when I sink into a habit of staying inside for a long time. Very unsatisfying. It's much better to come home after a stimulating few hours and have a big feed, both immediately and in the long term.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

You are detoxing most likely. When i went raw, the first 3 days were BLISSFUL. Then the next stage after that, I was tired, groggy and cranky. It will pass..its normal to be very hungry during this transition period so fill up on high water content foods! Fruits! My first month I think I snacked every single half hour, I just couldn't get enough raw foods. Your body is craving it, don't restrict yourself with fresh produce and don't feel bad about it either!

• 1)Greens, greens, and more greens. That's what worked for me. Salads, green soups, green smoothies, green juices, green powders, marinated greens. They cut my cravings significantly . If you haven't yet read Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko, perhaps you can check it out.2) Exercise is also a great distraction that keeps me from reaching in the pantry. 3) Keep seeking support on this site and other raw food sites. Check out rawreform.com, which is specifically about raw and weight loss. 4) Treat yourself to some Raw snacks that satisfy for whatever you're craving--sweet, salty, or fat--while keeping the portion size in check. 5) Journal as a way to sort out if you're actually hungry, or eating for some other reason.

I hope some of this helps. I know how hard it can be at the beginning of any weight loss journey, especially a Raw journey, which most folks around you won't understand. Good luck with everything!

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

100 a day, that is dangerous low.

"encourage young followers to embark on starvation diets"

That's what worries me also raw-vegan-diet rocks but it's really difficult to do it right and you must know what your doing.

To stay on topic. jemstone go easy on your self don't try to get 100% raw even the most die-hard raw fans won't get 100% raw all the time aim for 70% or so you get all the heath benefits and your not feeling guilty if you ate something cooked. My personal opinion try to get grains and beans out of your diet they do the most harm. Have some fruit handy if you want to snack or some raw nuts (go easy on the nuts some people have problems with them), on a raw-vegan-diet you can eat as much as you want 8).

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

100 or 1000? lol

• thank you so much to everyone for all of your amazing advice and support! i was not expecting to get so many replies. I have to say that i am feeling SO much better today, on account of a few things that came through for me work-wise, as well as physically. i've been eating mainly just fresh fruit and vegetables, and in large quantities, to say the least! i just ate a whole large papaya! but what i love about this lifestyle is that i feel amazing after eating it, i don't feel guilty or bad about it. though there are cooked vegan and non vegan foods all around me, they really do not interest me right now, and i'm thinking that's a good sign! i think once i start enjoying myself, and getting out of the house more with this new job i got, it will show on the outside.

thanks so much again for the tips, i really appreciate it!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I agree on the Raw Reform person. I don't know why she describes herself as a raw foodist with her 1) diet of powders and pollen and pills and maybe a "raw" cookie 2) low amount of calories such that she'd best be described as a "starvationist," if anything.

• Maybe she needs less and less food as the food she gets is more dense in nutrients is this right? OTHERWISE, she is probably like many of us formerly obese people... sometimes we get scared to let ourselves go too wild, in fear of our ability to lose control with our addition to food. just a thought