Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sick during a jog

rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

I just started jogging. Im doing the couch to 5k plan. 10 minutes into the jog im worn out, shaky, sick in my stomach.

whats going on wiht me?

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Did you eat a lot before your run? Or maybe you hadn't eaten in a while and your blood sugar was low?

If you are just starting to run, don't start too fast. It's good that you are following the couch to 5k plan. Maybe today was just an "off day". Try again tomorrow and see how you feel.

• Shaky sounds like low blood sugar to me too. A little bit of fruit (like one banana) seems to settle my stomach before a workout.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

its been all three times. i usually dont eat anything before if i do it's usually only a yogurt. im afraid if i eat something to heavy i get sick..

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Fruit or even fresh fruit juice is very easy to digest. I usually run first thing in the morning, so I don't tend to eat breakfast until after my run. But I'll either have a banana, an orange or I'll squeeze 2 oranges to make orange juice. I'll have it when I get up, so then I have to time to digest it while I'm getting ready (10-15 minutes).

If you work out in the afternoon, then you could have a smoothie 30-60min before your run, it's easier to digest than solid food.

• If i work out in the a.m, i will either not eat, or do a green smoothie about 45 minutes before. i prefer to run on an empty stomach. then i come back and eat.

in addition, you might walk very very quickly, instead of jogging right off the bat. you could walk about 4 miles an hour, for a week, then jog a few minutes, walk briskly, jog a few, walk briskly etc, then let the part where you walk gradually decrease to where you are running the entire time. if you are just off the couch, that is the best way. you can't come out of the living room a track star! pace yourself.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Yoghurt if you didn't make it your self from raw-milk it's processed and dead. Processed (or cooked) animal protein is very hard to digest.

Eat fruit, green smoothy or a salad you won't notice it while running (even my weird raw-diet goes perfect with running). Listen to your body, running should be fun!

Some side info, if you eat something and run directly after eating it, bad food irritates and good food you won't notice?

a green smoothie or oj and banana sound like a great idea....

what should i eat after to refuel myself?

does anyone use protien powder? like the sun warrier protien powder??

yea i make the yogurt and i keep it raw

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I like to either make a smoothie or eat a melon salad (it's SO refreshing)

Smoothie (that's what I had this morning):

2 mangoes

1 cup blackberries

10 strawberries

Handful of spinach or kale

Melon salad:

1/2 small cantaloupe

1/2 small honeydew

1/2 mini watermelon

About 1 cup (or 2 if you are very hungry) of mixed berries

Grapes are also very refreshing. I'll have about 2 lbs of mixed green & red grapes sometimes. YOu can play around with it, but I find that I don't need any protein powder anymore. I used to use VEGA when I first went raw, but now just having fruit (in large quantities) is enough to refuel me for about 3.5 hours.

Enjoy :)

Al right home made yogurt 8).

To refuel. If you run for a hour you burn approx 500 kcal (running 10+km/hour). jogging and starting to run I don't think you notice anything maybe if you eat a banana you compensated the burned calories.

If you run to lose weight you must run a lot (think hours / day) there is 6000 kcal in a kilo body fat good for at least 11 hours of running. I Think humans can run very efficiently (with the right technique) so losing weight with running is useless in my opinion. Do it for fun or social side of it 8).

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that the refueling recipes I suggested above are for my breakfast, not a snack, that's why they portions seem large.

avl, r u 8/1/1?

i acually trying to gain weight ( or muscle) im skinny enough, its time to get in shape for me.

yea it would be nice to find someone in the area to jog with, would prolly make it more fun.

im hoping to go out for an afternoon jog today.....

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Yes I'm doing 8/1/1 (at least I'm trying as much as possible). I don't count everything, but I stick to fruit pretty much all day and I'll also have some greens in my smoothies and/or salads. As for fats, I don't have that much and if I do I'll have 1/4 to 1/2 avocado a few times a week and maybe 1Tbsp almond butter the other days. But some days I don't have any overt fats, and honestly that's when I feel my best.

Lucky you can go for a run...I injured my ankle and I have to take some time off, but I got an ankle brace so maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

if you didn't eat enough the day before (as in fruit), this would affect your running as well.

Yep me too my foot is a bit painfull I can run really fast (20+km/hour) with minimum of effort (I feel like flying over the road it's great, huge smile on my face) but the next day my foot hurts a bit 8(. My feet, ankle and calves need to be much stronger so I can finally really run like a human should run. It takes so much time.

Try to find a running mate or a group, that makes it a lot more fun 8).

how would i go about finding a running group in my area?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Where are you from? In Canada we have "The Running Room". It's a store for runners, but they also offer running clinics.

Hmm I don't know here in Netherlands almost every city has a athletics club (I don't know the real English word) but they do all kind of atleticssports (long distance, road, track, jumping, competition in all those sports, whatever) and also a group that teach you how to run. That kind of thing would be perfect for you, it's a group with people who are starting to run so the distance and speed isn't very high.

i'll search around.