Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kellogs Cereal?

So........I was eating a bowl of Kix's this evening while checking out the ingredients and such on the side. To my horror, I discovered that Kix include Vitamin D3, which is derived from an animal source. I immediately searched all the boxes in the pantry and found that all the cereals my family eats contain Vitamin D3. I wanted to alert other fellow vegans who didn't know of this and figured this was a good place to start.

Perhaps, however, I am over reacting and there is something going on the the Kellog factory that doesnt involve animals, but to the best of my knowledge D3 is animal derived, D2 is plant derived, and D1 is bacterial (or something close) derived.

Comments

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

But kellogs and raw food that's two complete opposite things?

Kellogs is eatable cardboard 8)?

• As if their business practices, projected message and the history of the company in general were not reason enough to avoid buying their products.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

As a general rule- don't buy cereal's unless they are organic. But as an even better practice, don't buy premade cereal. Its nutritionally devoid, and expensive. You can make lots of things yourself for much less money and little to no time. Check out some of the chia puddings, grawnola and porridge recipes on here. Or keep it super simple and pile on the fruit for breakfast.

• Eh, I well agree and I've been heading back to raw foods now that its a little warmer and there are more options here in Washington. However, I also know there are vegans that use this site and those of us who seek simple carbs and such when cravings hits and I wanted everyone to be aware of that. That's all. :)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Unfortunately, I think those cereals are on PETA's list of vegan foods, but yes, of course they're not vegan.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

This seems like good information, although the website looks really annoying: http://vegematarian.blogspot.com/2007/02/what-petas-vegan-list-is-not-so-vegan.html

Conclusion: not vegan (despite being on PETA's list)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

That is ridiculous! I'm feeling quite angry about that.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I see, at the bottom of PETA's I Can't Believe Its Vegan page, they note:

*Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends the message to manufacturers that there is no market for this food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

that is absurd. Im more angered with PETA than kelloggs- I think they have a duty to say that there are trace amounts of animal ingredients in it and let people make their own decisions after that. They are an extreme group, they should take a stance against this.

PETA has it as a Disclaimer that the nonvegan foods on their VEGAN list aren't vegan. Why label the list "vegan" IT's dumb if you ask me.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Well, they are manipulating the definition of vegan and they do have a disclaimer, I think its reasonable. Would I do it? No, but their purpose is to protect the animals, and thats what their label does. Whatever, there are more important issues to worry about IMO.

• nsns

Most of the vitamin D3, these days, come from sheep's wool - that's sheared from their body. (Most of us go for a haircut from time to time). So, by PETA's standards this would be ok, by vegan and raw standards - probably not ok.

Maybe you should check out the wool industry and sheep industry before acting as if it's similar to a haircut. I can't believe anyone with knowledge would suggest that.

Eecho, there may be "more important" issues to "worry about" but having a conversation about it on here that takes a couple seconds to post isn't "worrying about" something for me.

• cupcakes revengecupcakes revenge Raw Newbie

same with "sensational soy" soy milk!!! That one threw me for a loop - wouldn't vegans be a large market for them??? They should at least say "not vegan" on the carton!