Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Food obsession / Orthorexia? (As Seen on Good Morning America this morning)

Hey all,

This was viewed on Good Morning America just this morning.

I am not one to judge, but I feel like this article was interesting, even though I disagree with it. Any thoughts guys?

Comments

• Here is the link to the article: http://bit.ly/9lq9q5

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I'm sure there are people who obsess over eating healthfully, just like there are individuals who obsessively exercise, obsessively play video games, obsessively watch TV, etc. Too much of anything is never a good thing.

The rest of the crap info on eating a "balanced" diet is just that...crap. It's standard mainstream medical nutritional nonsense. If I were to go back to their "balanced" cooked diet of meat, grains, and some fruits and veggies, I'd gain weight, be starving all the time, and be bingeing again in no time.

It's simple: eat as much sweet fruit as you care for, some greens and non-sweet fruits for dinner, and limit your fat intake. Nothing obsessive about that. In fact, I spend less time planning out meals and "cooking" in the kitchen - practically nil - than I ever did eating cooked.

"Today, Rutzel said her fears are gone and she'll indulge in -- almost -- anything."

I'm glad that she's no longer starving herself, but eating any and all foods is not healthy.

Swayze

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i agree that orthorexia is a problem but they are painting raw foods in a bad light- as if they are lacking in all nutrients and that you're crazy to care what's in your food. i don't understand that.

it's unfortunate that there was nobody at the medical center who had experience with this. i'm glad rutzel says she is doing better but don't see why she would go back to eating everything if she was a vegetarian or vegan.

• I have only been raw for 14 days now, and I see people looking at me strangely. People have made fun of me, they think I am wierd. All this while they are chowing down on greasy chicken wings, onion rings, burgers ect. I just look at them, smile and keep on eating my green smoothie, knowing I am so much healthier then them. I think people are scared to admit they are eating so badly, and it is affecting their health because in the long run it comes down to one thing:

THEY DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP THEIR UNHEALTHY FOOD BECAUSE THEY ARE ADDICTED TO IT! Some people would rather die then eat healthy food and exercise, before they give up their junk food! And sorry to say, so many people are!

So go ahead and judge us, put lables on us, but in the long run we know what we are doing is the right thing, and some day hopefully, the doctors will stand up to the pharmacutial companys that run the health care system and say, Hey, they were right all along, eating raw is better for your health! Just because a few people do have eating disorders, does not me we all do!

Just my opinion!

• I read the article and I agree, it's a bunch of USDA food pyramid BS. Especially about how you need to eat meat in order to get proper amino acids... funny that, because I've read in multiple sources that meat products are not ideal sources of amino acids. When you eat meat, you don't get individual amino acids, you get amino acid chains made by the chicken/cow/pig/whatever that are really hard to break down and re-use by the body. It's too bad they didn't choose to interview some successful raw foodists on that show, to illustrate how it doesn't have to be an obsession and you can be totally healthy (gasp!) as a raw vegan. Like Swayze said, you can be obsessed with anything to the point of wrecklessness. That girl they featured might have been eating right, she just needed to eat MORE. Whatever. Mainstream news is frequently full of crap anyway.

• I don't think the only issue was her needing to eat more, I think the issue is the anxiety surrounding food. Instead of food being a joyful act of nourishment, it became a set of rules for her to follow that were so strict and unyielding that it negatively affected her life.

I do wish they had interviewed others who were successful on a raw diet though, and the nutrition "info" made me cringe...

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

This frustrates me SO much! This person obviously had an eating disorder and was fixated to a very unhealthy degree - to the point of denying herself food when it was quite obvious she needed to eat to get more calories.

I have systemic lupus and one of the first symptoms was weight loss - 20 pounds in less than 2 months - without changing my diet. I had what most people would consider a VERY healthy diet. I never ate anything pre-made or packaged. I cooked all my food from its original state. I ate meat. And I continued to become more sickly and lose weight while taking in a large amount of calories. My doctors assumed I had anorexia despite my claims of eating 8 meals a day of calorie dense food. After extensive medical testing and my family supporting my claims of eating - I even had coworkers follow me into the bathroom to see if I was bulemic - they finally did more tests and realized I had wasting from a chronic disease.

On the raw diet, I've gained 15 pounds and look normal again. Well, as normal as possible ;) I even have a few extra pounds so I can exercise without worrying and can juice fast if I need to. Raw, living foods has given me vitality and weight gain, so to read something like this it is frustrating because it may turn people away or at least give them an excuse to discredit something that is very beneficial if done properly. My health isn't perfect, but I'm sure better off than I was before and I hope to continue improving. I had a rough day yesterday from doing a bit too much over the weekend, but to feel well enough to work and play in the garden is a wonderful thing that I am glad to have again.

• I agree with everyone. I really don't like how they blamed raw food and veganism. I think we live in such a backwards society when healthy diets receive all the blame for a new eating disorder. I think they should have asked why she was so concerned with being healthy. For a healthy heart, sure... But was it because of a fear of ending up like how 60% of American adults are now? Overweight and plagued with health problems? I really feel for her, as I have suffered from eating disorders for most of my adult life, but it just bugs me that they act like veganism is akin to satan-worship or something. One minute the media is telling us to be paranoid label-readers and be worried about everything that goes into our bodies, while the next minute they tell us, hey! stop obsessing over labels! If you want to be healthy, be healthy. Don't be a nazi about what you eat, just be informed, and don't tell others what to eat unless they ask you for advice. Being preachy will only lead to social isolation.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Ha ha ha! You crack me up durianrider. :-)

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

seriously durianrider, i wish you could be opposite that 'expert' who spouts off that we need meat and dairy for essential proteins and fats. ug!

I really hated that lady's incredulity at 'so you stopped drinking dairy?? and only did soy??' like oh god, if you dont slug down pasteurized glue you must have an eating disorder. better get extra cheese there fatty, you wouldn't want to waste away to healthy.

I pray my mom doesn't see stuff like this- it would make her worry about me. I swear a pfizer ad had to come on after that gem or journalism. I mean who else fleeces the public like that?

so frustrated by that garbage!

where's the vegan who's life was saved by this lifestyle- i know mine was!

• Agreed! I've been "RAW" for 2 1/2 Months now. I bring a banana and my trail mix (goji berries, pistachios,cashew coconut, and whateverelse i have for the week) to work. I'm always snacking on my mix during work, with much criticism. Hey what are you eating, bird food. What the hell is that? it doesn't even look good. Some have tried it and liked it although it's not roasted or salted. As you said, i look around and everyone else is bringing in mcdonalds 3 times a week, candybars, chugging down redbulls( complaining about being tired all the time). I secretly laugh to myself and explain to everyone how great i feel eating the way i do. One girl now brings in her own homemade mix! I defenitely look at the SAD in a whole new light. I really kind feel bad for everyone and the way they are eating. I never preach to anyone on the way to eat, it's suprising how everyone eating so crappy loves to share theirs. Misery loves company.

• The media always slants the stories. I'm not surprised at all. To quote Dave Ramsey

a financial guru " wierd is cool, live like no one else so later you can live like no one esle!!!"

My husband often teases me about the things I eat, because I am heavier than him. But he has

high blood pressure and higher cholesterol than me. My bp is great and so is cholesterol . I also am

much calmer than he who consumes nothing but caffeine and fat all day long. So laugh to yourself

and enjoy your silent victory over the modern diet!