Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Bananas and Green Smoothies

So many recipes for green smoothies include bananas. To me the banana flavor overpowers all ingredients including the greens. I them okay, but not everyday in every smoothie. So..... do you use them for texture, taste, nutrients, fiber, or to what purpose?

I am figuring out combos in which I don't have to use them unless there is a nutritional reason to do so. I don't like mangoes or papayas, kiwis,coconut, etc. I think I must have been an Eskimo in another life. I just don't do well on the tropical fruits.

Comments

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Taste. Definitely taste. Raspberries or another strong fruit might do the trick, but for me banana is the best at making drinks palpable. Although there are some green juices I really like without banana...usually they have carrot juice and ginger.

• I've had raspberry, celery and spinach. That was good but I will warn you, it does go an unpleasant brown colour...

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

I use them for texture, to make the smoothie a little thicker. To me, they are so bland I can never taste them once I add berries or pineapple! I don't see any reason why you really need them though, if you prefer other fruits. :)

• Oh yeah, they have so many practical uses. That is why they are so amazing!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i personally use fresh banana because frozen ones have too strong a flavor. i also add berries for flavor. for me the banana gives it the right consistency and masks the green flavor.

my husband doesn't eat banana so he's used mango or young coconut meat for texture.

• I started off using them for texture, but I have found that you can substitute them pretty easily with apples, pears, etc. These days I enjoy a little bit of banana flavor in my smoothie however, so I still use them in most smoothies that I make!

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Use mango and spinach with some water. It turns out really smoothi and creamy! :-)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I agree w/ freewitheft - I use them mostly for texture (to thicken) but also just because they're good for ya. They don't have a strong flavor to me. Could be also that I use enough stronger-flavored ingredients (such as citrus and pineapple) that the taste isn't overwhelming.

• I use banana in most of my smoothies - either fresh or frozen - for bulk, for texture, for nutrition and for cheap filling calories. Having said that, most of that (with the exception of the calories part) could also be taken care of by some cucumber. I love cucumber in my smoothies. It's very neutral and light, and all that silica does wonders. :-) It adds nice bulk to your smoothies and they are very cheap in the summer, making it a nice replacement for more expensive items (i.e. berries) so you could still get the taste of the expensive fruit but not go through so much in just one smoothie.

Just my two cents. :-)

Oh, zucchini tends to do the same thing; I'm just partial to the cucumber myself.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

fuzzywater, when you put cucumber in your smoothies, do you keep the peeling on?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I like the suggestion of cucumbers, might give it a go.

Good question Kitty, I'd also be interested to know.

• Texture yes... but you could achieve a similar texture as well from avocado. I personally just really like the sweetness that bananas bring to the smoothie.

What about oranges? you could add some fresh juiced orange juice to your green smoothies, that might be nice.

Apple juice, too. Since you're not a fan of the tropical fruits, I would definitely juice some more "common" fruits and add the juice to your greens and blend. Apple juice and orange juice would probably provide some of the best tastes, but go ahead and experiment!