Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Stomach aches and "another" issue

Just started a raw diet about two weeks. Lunch and dinners are basically all raw. All the food I have eaten is delicious but am suffering from horrible stomach aches after meals that have zucchini and squash. I have problems with broccoli as well. So I am eating what is "good" for me then I get a horrible stomach ache and then I have "bathroom problems" a couple of times a day. (And I don't mean that I can't go). Not all meals contain these vegetables but it seems like they are staples for substituting rice and pasta. I do take digestion helpers but not relieving any stomach issues. Is this a hump I have to get over? I've always had problems with broccoli and I was afraid this was going to be an issue. Do I have to give up the raw diet? I can't live on salad alone. I am an athlete and need lots of food!

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

If you eat something that doesn't digest well, simply don't eat it anymore. Not all raw foods are digestible. For example, raw potatoes and other legumes are not digestible raw. And, depending on the state of your body when you start, certain raw foods might be better than others at first. Just give it time. Its no biggie about the zucchini and squash, just take it easy on those and maybe try them again raw in a couple months. In the meantime, go explore other raw foods that you really enjoy. If you really want to try making a pasta substitute, perhaps try eggplant. For rice, look for a recipe with cauliflower. Don't get too discouraged when something doesn't work out right away. As long as the overall trend of your progress is positive, keep with it. Mix it up and have fun.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Botanically, zucchini, squash, and eggplant are all fruits.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't think eggplant or cauliflower will be any more easier to digest. I think you should eat sweet fruit and greens.

• I like broccoli, but can not eat a lot of it raw for the same reason. I do eat it steamed quite often, but that won't work if you are trying for 100% raw diet of course. Eggplant seems gentler on the stomach to me too (as Eecho had suggested).

• I am only new to raw so other people may know more. I have also had a few problems just in my transition period, specifically on occasional days I have something cooked, I feel horrific and I have had various problems. Having said that, I think it is just our bodies getting used to eating completely raw and ridding our body of the toxins, so maybe once you're more cleansed they won't be problem foods any longer.

• You never even mentioned sweet fruit? Do you eat much? If not, you should, and if so, eat more! I'm not 100% raw but I've found that when I crave carbohydrates (which my and many people's brains have learned to associate with rice, bread, pasta etc.) some sweet fruit satisfies it completely, even if it's not really what I felt like eating at the time. It's straight-up energy and sugars your body is looking for, and there's nothing like a bunch of bananas for that!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

No one can live on salad alone! Give up the zucc and squash and get your calories from delicious sweet fruit.

Swayze

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I'm the same with raw broccoli, I really like it but the last time I ate it raw, I had serious bloating/gas issues.

I eat it steamed now as I'm not 100%.

I'd agree with the others and leave out the foods which cause you problems.

• I was having a similar conversation but I have lost it and stumbled into this one while looking for it. I know that we have helpful categories, but I do think that it would be helpful if we could gather all these digestion and bowel problems together. Clearly, there are a lot of people who long to do the raw diet and appreciate the benefits but are in danger of turning from it because of the powerful and often unpleasant effects of too many raw vegetables. As we gather together the experiences and enquiries, we need to gather ttogether he advice for all those who need to moderate and compromise. Recipes combining raw and cooked food would be helpful. (My apology if they are in here somewhere.)

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

One of the things I do for raw brocoli, is I put it in a colander and sprinkle it with sea salt (after I have cut it into little pieces) and toss well. in about 10 minutes rinse. it will not be pre-digested and may be easier on your stomach. No fun to have that stomach distress !

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I generally marinate broccoli in some sort of sauce before eating. Like missemy says, the salt helps to make the broccoli more digestible. But you can always just skip broccoli altogether.

As for pasta stand-ins, you can also use carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, or beets--and probably other vegetables I'm not thinking of. I don't particularly care for squash myself, and don't eat it very often.