Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Getting fat

2»

Comments

• I read about fruitarianism, i understad now ,but if we cant live on an a 100% fruit diet, what else should i add to my diet thats raw, or should I eat a cooked vegan diet?

• Sweet,

Don't think I'm suggesting you not eat fruit. Just don't restrict yourself to only (or almost only) fruit. There are tons of different styles of greens. Mixing different greens with different veggies or fruit gives you endless salad options. If your stomach can tolerate stuff like carrots, brocolli, cabbages and such raw- do so. Some of the "rougher" veggies do not sit well raw with some people. If that's you, you can either eat little of them raw, or choose to lightly steam them (if you do not follow 100% raw diet). There's sprouts, which are very good for you. Nuts and seeds too. Check out the recipe section here at Gone Raw for ideas. You aren't just limited to fruit. If you are concerned about keeping lower fat, keep in mind that not all of the recipes are high in fat. If you do like some of the desserts that are more nut based, you could still have a little without making your diet nut based most days.

• Rawpretzela,

Are you still gaining weight? I'm in my 4th week of raw now and I'm starting to think I'm gaining weight too... maybe it is bloating, even my lower legs are bigger. But then again I've stopped exercising because I lack the energy. I don't think my calorie intake is exessive, around 2000 a day.

Durianrider, what is your opinion of this? Do you think it is bloating? Also, how do you get B12?

Nicole

• http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkinsdiet/a/dratkinsdeath.htm

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/04/17/obit.atkins/

Just to be objective, I've included several links, including one from CNN. If you question Dr. Atkin's death, please check out these links. BTW, Dr. Atkins did not have an autopsy. The family objected, and so only an external examination was performed, however, it was apparently noted that Atkins had had a heart condition that was apparently linked to a virus for some time and there is documentation to show that he weighed less than 200 pounds upon admittance to the hospital. The weight gain and death at 258 pounds was attributed to fluid retention after he was admitted to the hospital.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I recommend fruit and greens. I'm unaware of the mental abilities of Mr. Billings, but when I saw his site years ago, he seemed to be lacking.

• Sisterbecky Its fine:) I love eating fruit everyday, I eat alot of it, sometimes i have sprouted mung beans, soaked buckwheat. I dont eat dehydrated buckwheat anymore because its really dry and makes me feel clogged. I can eat soaked buckwheat and I feel very good, I made this raw porridge with soaked buckwheat and one banana , added a bit of vanilla powder and cinammon, I also topped it off with 3 raspberries. It was soooo good!!!. I also eat cauliflower ,chives, parsley, tomatoe , red bell pepper. I also make raw sushi with raw nori wraps. They are delicious!! Do you think i can live on a raw diet long term, like all my life? I dont really like eating nuts, because they take forever to digest and they dont make me feel good.

• can you live on eating the same exact fruit or vegetable everyday?

You mean eating one type of fruit OR vegetable and nothing else ever?

Like cantelope on day one and then cantelope thereafter, and nothing else?

I'm sure you can live if you get enough calories. Not sure if you'd thrive.

• yes like 2 main fruits apples and pears. DO you think someone can live on pears and apples everyday for the rest of their life?

Probably live, yes. May not feel well. I would recommend greens, at least.

• Yes, add those greens as Superfood is suggesting! Greens have a lot of the minerals that you can't get from the fruit. Also, note that there is a difference between living and thriving. People who have survived concentration camps with lack of proper nutrition "lived." But, they didn't thrive. The human body can adapt and live on less than ideal food sources. People on SAD live to. But, they don't thrive healthwise usually.

• Ive never tried kale, how does it taste like on its own? and if i wanted to make a smoothie with a fruit ,which fruit would taste good with kale? Or any kind of greens blended.

• I love kale, but for some reason it only sits well in my stomach when I have it with added fat (olive oil dressing and maybe avacado). I don't care for it in smoothies, so I don't have a suggestion on that. As far as what it tastes like, I don't know really how to describe it. But, it is a rougher green (then romain or green leaf lettuce). You may want to go easy with it at first till you see how your stomach handles it.

• I feel great after drinking a kale/ spinach smoothie... Nothing compares to eating a ripe waterleon though

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Hey Durainrider when did anyone say on this post that fruit is dangerous? If you don't know of any fruitarians than how could you possibly say that we are wrong anyway? I know of only two fruitarians and the both look terribly malnourished.

Tabbycats your so right. Watermelon is my favorite fruit.

You don't seem to know what a fruitarian is, Kurite. Fruitarians eat 75% or more of their intake as fruit; so someone could call themself accurately a fruitarian and eat greens.

You seem to be referring to someone who eats 100% fruit.

Maybe you can check some definitions first before trying to make blanket statements about a group of people.