sugar substitute or just forget it?

hi all!

i'm still in the process of researching/going raw and i'm curious about sugar. i have a family recipe for a really great pasta salad and am thinking of trying it out as a raw dish. the dressing is mostly raw (oil, vinegar etc) except for the cup of sugar it calls for... i know i could easily make a simple vinaigrette using just oils and vinegar, but i like the thickness the sugar gives to the dressing. is there anything i can use that IS raw to replace the sugar? or should i scrap the idea and embark on finding a suitable dressing sub?

any help appreciated!!

Comments

• I tend to just forget the sugar, but if you make the dressing in a blender I would suggest trying to soak a few dates, maybe remove the skins and use them, they are sweet and the consistency may thicken the sauce! :)

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Sometimes I use turbinado sugar (brand is "Sugar in the Raw"). It's not really raw, since from what I understand heat is used to evaporate the juice from the sugar cane, but it's definitely better and less processed than white sugar or standard brown sugar.

Maybe you could try with half a cup of sugar instead of the whole cup, too.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i would try using a half cup of soaked dates then blend them up.