Does Anyone know how to make "Kimchee" ?

I am big fan of Kimchee! I usually purchase Sunja Kimchee at the health food store; I just Love it, but it is expensive since I eat lots of Kimchee all the time.

I decide to make Kimchee, and I found some receipts, but those recipes usually require fish sauce and sugar in it- But I don't want to use those ingredients!!!!!!!

Does anyone know how to make "Kimchee" without using fish sauce and sugar??

Thank you so so so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

Comments

• Well I have a slight improvement upon the other recipes you might have seen :) I've tried this one and had success :) My Korean boyfriend approved (even though he's used to the store bought with sugar more :P) as well :)

The recipe does call for fish sauce, but it uses fruit in place of refined sugar and it took me a while to find that!

Since I'm not sure if I can post a link here, I'll tell you how to find the step by step recipe with instructions :)

Just Google Dr. Ben Kim Kimchi

If you want the guide with pictures you just click the link on that page =)

P.S. I think the fish sauce is just for flavor and does not help the fermenting process so... assuming that I'm sure you could just do without it if you don't want to use it. :)

• teacupteacup Raw Newbie

my co-op makes our own kimchee. I don't remember the recipe off hand, but tomorrow during my break i'll post it for you. it's definitely raw. and delicious.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

There are at least two raw kimchi recipes on this site. I've tried one and it was deelish, if a bit spicy.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Just cut up the vegetables you like, maybe add some ginger, garlic, onion, and hot pepper for a traditional flavor, and massage for a while with plenty of salt. It should taste pleasantly salty when you're done, and the vegetables should be softer and be emitting juices. Pack into a jar (or whatever), and try to make sure that liquid covers the top of the stuff. Add some salt water if you don't have enough of the vegetable juices. Cover loosely. Check every few days until it tastes good to you.

Or you can follow a recipe and just omit the sugar and fish sauce.

I've made kim chi by eye/instinct many times, and never had a problem. As long as you have enough liquid and salt, you shouldn't need to worry about "bad" bacteria. I often also put a teaspoon or so of unpasteurized miso in the mix (of about 2 heads cabbage), just to make sure the right bacteria gets a good foothold.