Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

easy dinner ideas

What are your go-to dinners when you are tired and don’t feel like doing alot of un-cooking?

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Lettuce wraps…so easy! I just put a bunch of veggies in the food processor to chop, then put them inside lettuce wraps with some raw dipping sauces, such as sesame, plum, or even barbeque. My family likes them , and it takes just minutes to make.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

We keep a cucumber-sunflower dressing in our freezer which keeps for 3 months. When I don’t feel like spending time in the kitchen… I take a batch out to let it thaw (usually overnight). And, I make a salad that requires no chopping – lettice, grape tomatoes, sprouts, & dressing. It goes well with fruit too!

Other times, I just grab frozen fruit and bananas and blend it. Raw ice cream for breakfast or dinner… now that’s ‘the life’.

These work for me because I don’t have to shop for special ingredients… or they are in the freezer already. The more fast-easy-recipe-ideas, the better! Good topic.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I’m with spiritedmama… lettuce wraps!!! I take a big collard leaf, spread it with avocado, and then add various herbs like cilantro and parsley, add some tomato, green onion, garlic, and then add whatever greens I got laying around whether it be spinach, arugula, baby greens, sprouts… then wrap that sucker up and eat it! YUM :-)

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Hey Germin, do you have a recipe for the cucumber sunflower dressing? Is there much fat in it?

I have been doing more and more wraps lately. Sometimes I use untoasted nori sheets and wrap veggie kraut and other vegetables. Collards, lettuce, and cabbage all work well for wraps. I like to make salsa and put that in the wrap along with whatever vegetables I am using.

Another idea is to prepare green smoothies.

I use kelp noodles as well as zucchini-cut pasta served with salad dressing, sauce, or any dip. Massaging it with your hands helps to soften the noodles and infuse the flavor.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I often eat a whole cantaloupe for supper.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

If I didn’t have alot of time, I would make a soup and take crackers or process a load of veggies and use the soup as a sauce. Extras would be avocado chunks and olives.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

We have always got some bread, cheeze and marinated mushrooms on the go, so sandwiches are my husband’s easy dinner when we can’t be bothered to uncook. That’s too heavy for me at the moment so I just grab fruit, and walnuts and a green juice…

• Kale Salad!!! Shred Kale, toss in avocado. Blend tomato, nama shoyu, lime juice, onion, cilantro, garlic. Toss in bowl with avo and kale. Use your fingers and incorporate ingredients. You can throw in dulse flakes, hot sauce, cumin, curry, oregano whatever “spin” you want to take with it. Its just simple yumminess!

• spiritedmomma, lettuce wraps! what a great idea!

• I’m with you on the cantaloupe for dinner Morning_theft. I usually cut it all up, throw it in the Vita-mix and drink the whole thing, smooth and creamy! Its surprisingly filling too. I’ll have to try more lettuce wraps now, good ideas.

Another quick meal is Cashew Hummus; Cashews, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, Salt/pepper in the food processor. Its done in 3 minutes and you can spread it on the lettuce wraps.

• you guys rock—these will definitely tide me over!

RCBAlive,

The fat is in the sunflower seeds.

The Cucumber Dressing is a recipe from vegan Chef Jurea Dawson. A good friend of mine works with Jurea every-now-and-then. And, I’ve met Jurea and her family a while back. They are nice people and have a mission (for cleansing) in MA. I don’t want to just post Jurea’s recipe online… so, I did a search online to see if it was there. It isn’t. However, I did find a similar recipe online. It is listed as Creamy Cucumber Dressing on http://www.3abn.org/recipe_detail.cfm?ID=96

Use honey or agave. Play with using more or less sweetener and lemons. I like it sweet! Skip the garlic ingredient. And use cashews or sunflower seeds. I knew one person that bought a Vita Mix JUST to make Jurea’s Cucumber Dressing. Seriously. Another person bought a VitaMix just for her raw Orange Creme Pie! She’s a great chef… simple, easy, and yummy (the important part) recipes. I serve her dessert at my raw food classes… as well as her cucumber dressing.

If the recipe above doesn’t work too well… Jurea does have a couple recipe books but maybe you can try asking her for the recipe by email since her recipes in her book are both cooked and raw. Her website is http://www.realfoodresources.com

Oh yeah, I have to agree with brooklynraw and Morning_theft… we’ve eaten a half watermelon for lunch one time. It was fun! And filling. Now, that is easy and fast for those hot summer days.

Great ideas all!

• This time of year, I tend to eat fruit. Lately I’ve been having watermelon for dinner every night.

In other seasons, I tend to have huge vege and greens salads—chop and throw whatever is in the fridge in a bowl with lots of herbs and sprouts – whiz some dressing, and I’m all set.

Sometimes I’ll make a huge batch of chili and have it for a few days in a row.

• is that raw chili?

• rawlady – Do you have a good chili recipe that you’d like to share???? :-)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Raw corn on the cob and a HUGE lettuce, avocado, sunflower seed salad.

Zucchini noodles with honey and salt, any spare veggies thrown in on top.

Raw soups with flax crackers or sprouted bread.

Going to do the lettuce wraps tomorrow :) Great idea!

• Hi G-Mom!

One thing would be to make the dancing chicken salad recipe I submitted recently. It’s similar to waldorf salad. I made some today and added apples and raisins- it was great. Another thing I did which makes it a lot of fun is to take a couple apples and cut them in half so you have a top and a bottom. Take a mellon baller and scoop out the seeds. Have a bowl of water with some lemon or lime juice in it and dip the apples in. Use the melon baller to scoop out apple but leave an eighth of an inch rim. You can do this under the water if you use a big bowl and it will keep the apple from tuning brown. Then add the apple to to the “chicken” salad and scoop into the apple halves. Great with a little spinach salad with orange wedges.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Hi G-Mom,

My favorite quick and filling recipe is Rhio’s herb-encrusted mushroom steak (which she was kind enough to let us post here). Also, the Zucchini Fettuccine with Marinara is quick and delicious.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I eat melon for breakfast. Green smoothies, fruit smoothies for lunch. Salads, lettuce wraps, soups with chopped veggies for dinner. Dinner is the only meal that I eat with fats, generally. It’s always easy! I save the complicated recipes for special occasions or days when I feel like playing in the kitchen. I don’t have to worry about feeding a family and cleaning up is a snap.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

ani phiyo’s spanish scrambled breakfast recipe is so quick, filling and tasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvrEj2H36w