Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Essene bread?

I've recently found I'm wheat intollerant, I'm not 100% Raw and my none raw foods are often such straches, anyway I recently heard (vaguely) about essene bread.

Apparantly some people are allergic to cooked wheat but not sprouted, now for this reason Im assuming essene bread may not be cooked and maybe a great alternative whilst I wean myself of my addiction.

Has anyone heard of this bread and know how to prepare it?

Comments

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Technically it is just wheat sprouts ground up and spread thin in what ever shape you want and left in the sun to dry.

But many do add anything they want and put it in the dehydrator.

So what do you like in your bread?!?!?

I have not tried it yet, let me know if how you like it.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

I may try it then, Im not sure where to get wheats to sprout but I may also add some sunflower, seasame and pumpkin seeds too they sound like good seeds to add.

I eat the sprouted bread I can't think of the name right now, I think it is made by the tree of life and it is in the freezer section in the health section of the store it is cooked but it did not cause any pain when I ate it.

I tried it because Carol Alt in her Raw books said she eats it.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

I have never tried Essene bread before but I do eat Ezekial bread occasionally. I don't do well with gluten but can handle Ezekial. I have also tried Millet bread and I did react to that even though it says gluten free.

That is it Ezekiel, sorry just could not think of it before and do not have any right now to check on it . LOL thanks Kitty!!

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Still has gluten, which is what most people are reacting to with a wheat allergy (which is why we also have to avoid several other grains). I would recommend against it. Just my advice speaking from experience. If you can tolerate flax, there are plenty of gluten free raw vegan alternatives out there. I can't tolerate flax, so I stick to chia and non-gluten/grain sprouts.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

Yeah, the Ezekiel breads use both sprouted wheat and regular wheat flour, so you still get the gluten. A dietician told me that sprouting changes the molecular structure in order to make the protein non-offensive, though, so if it was just sprouted wheat I might try it just for a test. ;)

Really? mine said it was flourless I will check it again next time I go to buy it

from their website

Ezekiel 4:9

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

"Flourless" means the wheat is not processed and ground. It's still wheat (listed in the ingredients) which means gluten. It does not say gluten free.

When I've read the labels on the package at the store, it says whole wheat, about the sixth or seventh ingredient down the list. I will check again next time, it's been a while. I wanted to try it at the time, but couldn't because not all of the ingredients listed were sprouted.

I used to have the Food 4 Life Raisin Pecan bread for breakfast sometimes, before I went more raw. It was yummy with pumpkin butter. ;)

• In the UK we get a bread made by Sunnyvale. It contains only sprouted wheat according to the packaging.

I found that I could tolerate this when all other bread made me feel bloated and ill

It is cooked and I am now trying to make a version of it in the dehydrator although I am not now keen on grains much as they all tend to make me acidic and I have to keep alkaline owing to my form of arthritis

however, this bread doesn't appear to give me any inflammation issues.

Yes it has gluten but not as much as it would if it was ground flour, It loses gluten as it grows. That is why we can drink the wheat grass juice

It was my understanding that wheat grass juice is ok because the gluten is in the endosperm, not the blade itself. This discussion alone demonstrates why I just stay away from it all. There is nothing, NOTHING, out there that is worth the horrible way I would feel a couple days later. ;)

I love wheat grass juice! lots of energy! lots of healing!

• Some people who can't tolerate wheat and do okay with barley, millet, spelt (those three are in ezekiel bread?) and also rye. Making bread from those might work for you?

• I never made raw bread, I dont have a dehydrater:/ would you have to dehydrate it or can you eat the raw bread dough without dehydrating it?

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Perhaps you could devise a contraption to work with the sunlight, but either than that you need a dehydrator.