Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What am I doing wrong?

I went from vegetarian (6+ years) to raw vegan about 2 months ago. I occasionally eat cooked food, but try to make sure it is mostly vegetables and I've stayed strict vegan. I felt pretty great at first and my skin seemed to be clearing up, although I didn't lose any weight. Then my kids caught a cold and although I rarely catch their illnesses, I ended up sick (fever, sore throat, runny nose). It has been over two weeks and I don't seem to be able to kick the congestion. I thought I was over it and now I seem to be relapsing. I also had a very odd menstrual cycle this month where I spotted around the time of ovulation. My skin is breaking out again and I feel tired and run down. I'm having a green smoothie for breakfast with lots of greens. That is one benefit I've noticed is that I can drink a lot more greens than I could tolerate at first. For lunch, I usually have a salad or leftover raw meal from the night before (raw soup, tacos, etc). For dinner, I've been experimenting with lots of new recipes. Salads, soups, tacos, raw pizza, spiralized zucchini pasta, etc. Before I went raw vegan, I ate a lot of grains, tofu and dairy. So, I'm eating waaaaay more fruits and vegetables now. I made some raw carob/coconut/almond balls and carob/avacado pudding for dessert and I've also started making raw ice cream with berries and bananas. I feel like I'm eating less food and eating healthier than I was before, but the weight is not coming off, my skin is breaking out and I'm tired and sick. What in the world am I doing wrong???? Should I try a fast or a parasite or colon cleanse? Should I just try to sleep way more to let my body heal? I need to lose 50-60 pounds and I'm frustrated that the weight really isn't coming off. I've even been exercising on a more regular basis (at least before I got sick) and it didn't seem to help either. Ugh! I really thought I was on the right track, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Comments

• My suggestion, visit your doctor and have a blood test done. Maybe it is a thyroid problem, or a deficiency (though being raw vegan, I would wonder if it's from that recent change?) It may be coincidence and nothing you are "doing wrong."

• KoaselinoKoaselino Raw Newbie

Hi..

I just wrote a REALLY long post. I'm kinda going through what you are going through.

I have been sick for a while and I'm considering detox. Maybe what you and I are going through is cleansing from years of being unhealthy?

I'm not sure. Hopefully you and I will both get answers.

XO

• jkcjkc

I actually am hypothyroid and I need to go in and have my levels checked. One of my friends told me I might have allergies, but I've never had them before. Koaselino -- I hope we get this figured out! I'm frustrated that I'm eating much healthier, exercising regularly and I still feel like crap! Best of luck!

• maybe your body was so busy healing itself of the old stuff, it just wasn't strong enough yet to fight off the cold too... or maybe those symptoms are evidence of your body cleansing. i don't know, just what came to mind. :)

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

You said you occasionally eat cooked, so I'm wondering how often.

I have to eat maybe 90% raw or more in order to lose much weight. It seems crazy, eating so much healthy food, but 80/85% just doesn't do it for me, even when the other 10-15% percent is vegan.

Maybe you could try 100% for a few weeks, if you're not currently? Also, not sure if you're eating all organic, but a lot of people say they drop weight quicker when they do (less toxins)

About the skin- I broke out when I started, too. I was pretty surprised, because people on here talked about how wonderful raw made their skin. It got back to normal, though.

I'm sure others will recommend juice fasting, but I don't know enough about it to advise.

Good luck, and hang in there!

• Hi, I have been high raw vegan for almost a year. I eat maybe one cooked meal once a day (if that) and it is strictly vegan. I caught a lot of colds and flu bugs this year, however I am extremely active as I train for marathons and triathlons. My iron ended up being low so if you aren't taking iron (or in my case taking enough), get your iron levels checked, it could be a sign of low iron. I felt crappy and tired for quite a while.

As for the skin, I have to admit that since going vegan then high raw vegan, my skin has been horrible. Prior to being vegan, I ate a high protein but very healthy diet and my skin was beautiful with no pimples. I keep waiting for it to finally clear as everyone says it will but now that it has been a year, I am frustrated. I can't see it being a detox still, I was always a healthy eater and very active person. My doctor said the only way to get clear skin was to get pregnant, LOL. Grapefruit.fanatic, how long did it take for your skin to get back to normal? What do you use on your skin?

• If your thyroid isn't working properly, simply eating raw may not fix the problem. I know there are books out about diets for thyroid health- though I am not aware of what the diet consists of. (Possibley you have already checked into this?) But, there may be raw foods (even fruits or veggies) that are not so good for someone with thyroid problems? There may be some you want to avoid.