Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fruit Game :)

I thought it might be a fun idea to have a little game going on in the forum :) So I think it'd be interesting if we each come up with a name of a fruit, google it and post a "fast-fact" about it and (google image) link your favorite image you find of it :)

Furthermore... I think it'd make things interesting if we go in alphabetical order. Like I would start with "A" and look up "apricot" and the person who posts after me would pick a fruit with the letter "B"

Hope it catches on :)

APRICOT

Research shows that of any food, apricots possess the highest levels and widest variety of carotenoids[citation needed]. Carotenoids are antioxidants that help prevent heart disease,[citation needed] reduce "bad cholesterol" levels,[citation needed] and protect against cancer.

http://greensunrecycling.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/apricots.jpg

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

yes, i'm so happy i got banana!!!

BANANA

During the ripening process, bananas produce a plant hormone called ethylene, which indirectly affects the flavor. Among other things, ethylene stimulates the formation of amylase, an enzyme that breaks down starch into sugar, influencing the taste of bananas. The greener, less ripe bananas contain higher levels of starch and, consequently, have a "starchier" taste. On the other hand, yellow bananas taste sweeter due to higher sugar concentrations. Furthermore, ethylene signals the production of pectinase, an enzyme which breaks down the pectin between the cells of the banana, causing the banana to soften as it ripens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bananavarieties.jpg

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Cantaloupe!

Apparently, one serving (

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

DURIAN

The durian is said to be a heating fruit, which is unusual as most fruits are cooling. Legend has it that this heating property makes the durian an aphrodisiac. A local saying goes, When the durians come down the sarongs come off!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A255575

Picture: http://babychaos.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/durian3.jpg

• so glad you guys have joined in :)

I was wondering what would be a fruit for the letter E... google magic says:

ELEPHANT APPLE

The elephant apple, or wood apple, is a tropical acidic fruit native to Southeast Asia. The fruit is eaten in both ripe and unripe stages, and it is common in chutneys and other pickled dishes. The fruit comes into season in the fall months, depending on the region, with maturity in October and November in Malaya and a longer harvesting period, October through March, in India. The elephant apple is an acquired taste: in addition to being very mealy, it has an odor that some consumers find offensive.

Sounds appetizing??? hahaha

a picture: http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/elephant_apple2.jpg

• Fig

Ficus carica

Family: Moraceae

Description & storage

Fig: soft sweet fruit, full of small seeds and often eaten dried.

Fresh figs are delicious and often jam and chutney is made from them.

The skin of figs is very thin and ripe figs can't be kept or transported very well. As figs have to be picked when ripe you only can eat them fresh in the country of origin.

In the warm countries the figs are dried for export and storage.

Use

Figs taste best consumed "warm" from the tree. They are dried often because they can't be stored.

Types and family

There are over 600 fig cultivars.

Other peculiar characteristics

• G - Guava

In Hawaii, guava fruit is eaten with soy sauce and vinegar. Occasionally, a pinch of sugar and black pepper are added to the soy sauce and vinegar mixture. The guava fruit is cut up and dipped into the sauce.

In Pakistan and India, guava fruit is often eaten raw, typically cut into quarters with a pinch of salt and pepper and sometimes cayenne powder/masala. Street vendors often sell guava fruit for a couple of rupees each.

The fruit is also often prepared as a dessert, in fruit salads. In Asia, fresh guava slices are often dipped in preserved prune powder or salt. In India it is often sprinkled with red rock salt, which is very tart.

Because of the high level of pectin, guavas are extensively used to make candies, preserves, jellies, jams, marmalades (Brazilian goiabada), and also for juices and aguas frescas.

Guava juice is very popular in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Egypt, Mexico and South Africa.

"Red" guavas can be used as the base of salted products such as sauces, constituting a substitute for tomatoes, especially for those sensitive to the latter's acidity. In Asia, a drink is made from an infusion of guava fruits and leaves. In Brazil, the infusion made with guava tree leaves (ch

• H for Honeydew Melon!!!

They are so yummy, sweet and juicy!! Honeydew melons are a variety of Muskmelon and are considered the sweetest of all melons. Good-quality Honeydew melons will turn a creamy yellow color and the skin will have a slightly waxy feel when ripe. They will be firm with a small amount of softness at the stem and will be fairly large - those weighing about 5 pounds have the best flavor. Sometimes, the seeds of an especially juicy melon will rattle if the melon is shaken.:)

• I don't think there is any for I

so we'll skip to J

JACKFRUIT

Jackfruit is commonly used in South and Southeast Asian cuisines.[24] It can be eaten unripe (young) when cooked, or ripe uncooked. The skin of unripe (young) jack fruit must be pared first and discarded and then the whole fruit can be chopped into edible portions and cooked to be eaten. The raw young fruit is not edible

http://www.sunshinefoodintl.com/images/jackfruit.jpg

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I got one for "I"

ITA PALM

The ita palm, Mauritia flexuosa, is a tall palm tree native to tropical regions of South America. The fruit grows in bunches that can weigh 110 pounds. They are covered in reddish-brown or reddish-yellow scales. At the center of the fruit is a hard, oval shaped seed. The seed is also edible. Ita fruit is also dried and ground into flour. Oil from the fruit is high in vitamin A and is often used to treat burns. The juice is high in vitamin C

• K! (ps, cute game;))

Kumquats are a group of small fruit-bearing trees in the flowering plant family Rutaceae, either forming the genus Fortunella, or placed within Citrus sensu lato. The edible fruit closely resembles that of the orange (Citrus sinensis), but is much smaller and oval, being approximately the size and shape of an olive.

They are slow-growing evergreen shrubs or short trees, from 2.5 to 4.5 metres (8 to 15 ft) tall, with sparse branches, sometimes bearing small thorns. The leaves are dark glossy green, and the flowers pure yellow, similar to other citrus flowers, borne singly or clustered in the leaf-axils. The kumquat tree produces 30 to 50 fruit each year.[dubious

• L - Lime! (delicious on salads!)

Lime oil, which is removed by distilling the dried peels, is used to produce cosmetics, disinfectants, toothpaste, body oil, soap and deodorant, along with many industrial products.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Mango! I got an easy one. And a favorite.

Mangos are an excellent source of vitamins C and A, both important antioxidant nutrients. Vitamin C promotes healthy immune function and collagen formation. Vitamin A is important for vision and bone growth.

Mangos are a good source of dietary fiber. Diets low in fat and high in fiber-containing grain products, fruits, and vegetables may be associated with a reduced risk of some types of cancer.

Mangos contain over 20 different vitamins and minerals.

Mangos scored 93 out of 100 on the recently introduced NuVal scoring system for overall nutritional quality

http://www.mango.org/en/nutrition/for-consumers.aspx

• N for Nectarine!!!!:D

The nectarine is characterized by its rich colour and smooth skin. Its fragrant flesh is yellow and slightly red near the stone. The nectarine owes its name to its delicious taste which is often compared to nectar.

Yummm!!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

Olive!!!

I love olives ahaha

Olives are a naturally bitter fruit that is typically subjected to fermentation or cured with lye or brine to make it more palatable.

Green olives and black olives are typically washed thoroughly in water to remove oleuropein, a bitter carbohydrate. Sometimes they are also soaked in a solution of food grade sodium hydroxide to accelerate the process.

Green olives are allowed to ferment before being packed in a brine solution. American black ("California") olives are not fermented, which is why they taste milder than green olives.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

P is for Pluot!

I know some people are against hybrid fruit, but these things are just so delicious I can't stop when I get going on them! I had some last summer that tasted like cotton candy!

On to the facts: A Pluot is a hybridization of a plum and apricot, and they come in a ton of different varieties. They are available usually June-August, and most are sourced from California!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:030815_pluot.jpg

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

Quince

The quince (pronounced /?kw?ns/), or Cydonia oblonga, is the sole member of the genus Cydonia and native to warm-temperate southwest Asia in the Caucasus region. It is a small deciduous tree, growing 5

• Very surprised the "G" person didn't do goji berries, they are the best G-letter fruit!

Raspberries

Raspberries contain significant amounts of polyphenol antioxidants such as anthocyanin pigments linked to potential health protection against several human diseases.[6] The aggregate fruit structure contributes to its nutritional value, as it increases the proportion of dietary fiber, placing it among plant foods with the highest fiber contents known, up to 20% fiber per total weight. Raspberries are a rich source of vitamin C, with 30 mg per serving of 1 cup (about 50% daily value), manganese (about 60% daily value) and dietary fiber (30% daily value). Contents of B vitamins 1-3, folic acid, magnesium, copper and iron are considerable in raspberries.[7]

Raspberries rank near the top of all fruits for antioxidant strength, particularly due to their dense contents of ellagic acid (from ellagotannins), quercetin, gallic acid, anthocyanins, cyanidins, pelargonidins, catechins, kaempferol and salicylic acid. Yellow raspberries and others with pale-colored fruits are lower in anthocyanins.

Due to their rich contents of antioxidant vitamin C and the polyphenols mentioned above, raspberries have an ORAC value (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) of about 4900 per 100 grams, including them among the top-ranked ORAC fruits. Cranberries and wild blueberries have around 9000 ORAC units and apples average 2800.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry#Nutrients_and_potential_health_benefits

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

SHARON FRUIT or Persimmon (My favorite fruit EVER!)

Weather prediction folklore-

It is said that one can predict the winter by taking the seeds out of some persimmons and then slicing the seeds. The shape that shows up the most inside each seed will indicate what kind of winter to expect. The three shapes resemble three eating utensils.

A Knife shape means there will be a cold icy winter (as in the wind will slice through you like a knife).

A Spoon shape means there will be plenty of snow to shovel.

A Fork shape means there will be a mild winter.

• T For Tangelo

This early maturing tangelo is noted for its juicy, mild, sweet flavor. Tangelos are flat-round in shape and larger in size. California/Arizona Tangelos have a slightly pebbled texture, good interior and exterior color, very few seeds and a tight fitting rind. Orlando tangelos are available from mid-November to the beginning of February. The Orlando tangelo originated as a cross between a Duncan grapefruit and a Dancy tangerine

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

U for ugli fruit

An Ugly fruit (pronounced /???li/) is a Jamaican tangelo, a citrus fruit created by hybridizing a grapefruit (or pomelo according to some sources), an orange and a tangerine.*[1] Its species is Citrus reticulata