Change of schedule causing struggles

spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Hello all, I am hoping some of you may be able to guide me through this difficult time that I have found myself in. My son started school last week, and his bus picks him up now at 6:50am!! For some reason, now that I have started getting up at 5am to walk, then get him off to school, I am having the strongest cooked food cravings. I have been pretty much all raw for quite some time, and I am sad to say that the last week I have eaten cooked food of some sort every day! It makes me sick, I have no energy, and I have been in the worst mood…yet I continue to give in to these cravings. What on earth is happening to me?! My family as a whole has gone raw….there is no cooked food in the house, but the cravings are so strong that I have actually gone out of the house and sought cooked food! I am frustrated and have been on the verge of tears all week….any encouragement, advice,etc. is much appreciated in this challenging time.

Comments

• Hi Spirited Mama! My guess is that the increased amount of stress in your life is causing increased levels of cortisol to be released. This causes eople to seek out junk food like a lot of people eat when they are taking exams for college. One thing to take would be melatonin if you take supplements. It is good for jet lag and geting your body used to a different schedule. Spending an hour out in the sun can have a similar effect. Maybe you could make some raw- granola and eat that for breakfast with extra nuts and fruits. This might help burb cravings by providing you with additional fat earlier in the day. The other thing is celery juice. It is supposed to have a calming influence and help the nerves. I hope this helps!

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I’m not 100% following what the change is so this is just a guess… But do you have to wake up earlier than you’re used to? Because changing your sleep schedule and not getting enough rest could defnitely cause hunger and cravings. I always get that “bottomless pit” feeling when I don’t get enough sleep. Also, it might be a good idea to, as writeeternity pointed out, destress a bit, by possibly changing your schedule around the time you have to get your son ready for school. It is very stressful since we’re creatures of habbit! So a good idea would be to set up a new schedule very similar to how it used to be, but to fit the changes. It might make you more comfortable. I wish you all the luck in the world. -Lucy

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Spiritedmama hang in there. Stress of any sort can make us revert to old habits. Just know that you are not alone. Not to sound trite but maybe there is something happpening in our collective unconscious. I have also been having the craziest cooked food cravings and my diet has been pretty much all raw for a while now with no problems. I have been drinking lots of watermelon juice with ginger to try and help me get a grip. So that’s one thought anyway. My kids are off to school soon too. Maybe there is some mixed up ambivalence( ie. stress) about letting them go and feeling relieved that they are gone all at the same time. Be Well. ;o)

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Thanks for your support everyone. I think I have created a cycle that I just need to figure out how to break. I had one cooked food item, then it spiraled out of control. Each time I have something that isn’t raw I feel tired, and depressed, then that leads to something else not raw, etc. etc. So, it seems that I have to stop being so hard on myself. This is a pattern that I used to go through when I wasn’t raw, just with junk food (like you said WE). So, I need to get out of the funk, build up some will power to make it through the next few days until I can get back on track, and most importantly….stop being so hard on myself.

MT: the change is that I used to get up at 8am and now I get up at 5am. I used to exercise in the afternoon, and now it’s in the morning, which is another change. Oh, and one last change…I used to have alone time in the morning, and now my whole family is up and sharing my space. So, no time to focus in the morning now.

Why did you change your excercise routine? Maybe if you went back to excercising in the afternoon you’ll have an easier time to adjust (that is if you have the time…) Also, you’d be able to sleep a little longer and possibly take the edge of waking up earlier…

I changed my exercise routine because right now our house is completely under construction and if I don’t get my exercise done first thing, it won’t get done at all. The construction workers get here at 7am and it is all downhill from there. Also, our kitchen is very small, and our house is so cluttered and dirty right now (we are a family of four living in less than 1000 square feet right now), that it is hard to get motivated to prepare anything with all the chaos. So, admittedly, I am under a lot of stress right now as well. I hope that once everything calms down and we adjust to our new routine that I can get control of my cravings again.

Oh my that sounds like a lot of stress! Do you have the ability to escape somewhere quiet for a few hours? Also, you could try feeding those cravings with something wonderful and raw, for the time being, so it won’t be as bad… I know my vice right now is medjool dates… So wonderful, but too much feels like a bad idea… At least it isn’t a Caramilk bar!

Ithink I am a little more focused now…so, I went on line and ordered some raw foods to be delivered next week. This should ease some of the stress as far as food prep. Also, I am going to spend all day tomorrow dehydrating so there are some quick things to have when those cravings hit. ( I LOVE crazy bread crackers with eggplant bacon…makes a good “BLT”). Now that I have a plan I feel a little better. Thanks for everyone’s help!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hang in there spirited mama, as someone who survived a rehab house project…i dont care what anyone says it ranks up there with divorce on the high stress meter. I think the ordered food wiill help you tremendously…I am an eary morning person myself as i love the solitude before everyone else gets up. Its me and the spaniels and my tea with the email or forums to start my day…If i didnt do that for myself id be crazy! good luck and stay strong!