Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

i want to talk yerba mate

is it really good for you? tell your opinion.

i've noticed that smoked yerba mate along with black and green teas give me anxiety, but sun dried mate doesnt give me anxiety........

Comments

• teacupteacup Raw Newbie

I love mate, and unsmoked is probably a raw tea? I don't know much about it health wise, though someone once told me mate could cause throat cancer.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

its a better choice than consuming coffee but it still contains caffiene/stimulants thus not good for the adrenals and those with weak adrenal function will get anxiety.

if your looking for an energy boost which is supportive of the adrenal glands and has other health benefits, try bee pollen or adaptogenic herbs such as jiaogulan, schizandra berry, suma root, siberian ginseng, maca root and so on.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

other than staying away from sugars, stimulants, cacao how do you nurture your adreanals to proper function?

as you say staying away from stress, dietary stress and stimulants is a big start.

restoring adrenal function is best done through the use of diet, one of the main nutrients the adrenal glands need is vitamin C, they have priority over the rest of the body for vitamin C. So diet wise fruits rich in vitamin C such as berries, kiwis etc, if you wish for a herbal source then amla berry is the best(good food for the adrenals), then acerola and rose hips. Some will try market camu camu as the best source of vitamin C but its only good when fresh or dried and consumed immediatley due to being unstable.

the second most important nutrient for the adrenals is vitamin B5, again i prefer to use food or natural sources rather than sythethic vitamins which tend to be weaker anyway. bee pollen(great for adrenals/energy), rice bran(prebiotic fibre), seaweeds(adrenals/thyroid) and nettle leaf(great for liver/adrenal/thyroid).

not meaning to plug but i sell alot of these things via my site below at the cheapest prices. I lost 8 years of my life to adrenal fatigue and secondary hypothyroidism. I was at the doctors every 2nd week with no help minus anti-depressants which done nothing.

The last thing which is good for energy and restoring proper adrenal function is adaptogenic herbs, these are some of my favorite herbs. Not only are they great for an adrenal friendly energy-pick me up, but they also have loads of other health benefits from immune system boost, liver health, blood pressure and so on. Good sources are jiaogulan, schizandra berry, ashwagandha root, maca root, suma root, licorice root and siberian ginseng.

Fruity

what does adrenal fatigue look like?

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

ME ! I have it, basically a lot of fatiuge, mood swings, depression, the adrenals are responisbile for regulating your body during stress. so when they don't function you stress out easier. I think that's why we as a whole are angrier, road rage etc. you can google the symptoms of it and you will find a lot of info. I went raw last year, but I got hooked on all the desserts and it only made it worse. am toying with going raw again, but haven't committed to it 100% as I got anemic last time. we'll see.

the main symptoms are chronic fatigue, hormonal imbalances, inability to handle stress, craving sweets/salt, dizzieness upon standing(orthostatic hypotension), insomnia, poor digestion, allergies are one of the main one, anxiety, low libido or erectile dysfunction and so on.

sounds like me too. last week i came off of all sugars but fruits and felt a huge difference. a week later i had 2 t of agave in a tea i was drinking and it was WAY to sweet.

i got some good ashwaganda powder and have been putting a tablespoon in my smoothie/juices....

intrestingly enough once i removed cacao and sweetners out of my diet i felt such a huge amount of selfcontrol, which i had been lacking.

so thats why i was asking about Mate' because everyone said cacao was so good for me but it wasnt at all and everyone says how good mate is for you so.......

the best way to use ashwagandha is half a teaspoon 3 times daily at least 20 minutes before or after meals rawmamanibbles. You can increase the dosage to 3-10g but its best to start half a teaspoon in my opinion.

dont forget the natural vitamin c source and natural vitamin b5 these are integral for restoration of the adrenals.

I like ashwagandha though it has a sublte effect of intesifying GABA which is what produces its anti-anxiety/calming effects and many with adrenal fatigue suffer from constant anxiety/panic attacks. The other good bit is that it is good for restoring thyroid function which often goes hand in hand with chronic adrenal gland failure.

is small amounts of fruit ok if i have adrenal fatige?

some get away no probs with consuming fruit others have problems, its abit of trial and error seeing how your body reacts.

If you can consume though fruit is a good source of vitamin C etc which helps restore the adrenals.

minus my digestive difficulties i was fine with fruit.

• i wouldnt know. i cant even drink 1/2 a cup of that stuff. It smells & tastes like a forest fire lol

hey rawmamanibbles, guarana actually gains most of its stimulant properties from the caffiene it contains so again its not an adrenal friendly supplement.

kola nut again contains caffiene and theobromine so the same as the above.

i take it your looking for a pick me up/stimulant to try increase energy, id go with any of the adaptogenic herbs such as siberian ginseng, ashwagandha, schizandra berry, maca root, suma root and so on. These will provide a little energy boost for you and be adrenal gland friendly at the same time, helping restore proper function aswell as multiple other benefits.

the second thing id do is try bee pollen, you need to start with as little as 3 grains for the first week to minimize any reactions, then on the second week you can double the dose daily until your up to your required dose such as a teaspoon or a tablespoon. Bee pollen is a complete food rich in vitamins, minerals, phytonutrietnt, the rich amount of vitamin b complex is what makes it a great energy booster aswell as its rich in vitamin B5 which is one of the main nutrients for proper adrenal gland function.

hope that helps, if you havent checked my little store please do.

no, im acually not wanting any stimulant. i just have a herbal book that uses those two along with gensing, ashwa, ect. i've added ashwa and astrag, gensing and rosehips. along with other adrenal herbs. ppl keep saying maca also but i've never noticed a difference using maca.

i'd add some bee pollen too.

feeling pretty good. i have been eating honey and brown rice syrup this week and not feeling as good as i was for the week i wasnt eating them so im taking them out of my diet again.

how will i know when my adrenals are doing better?

yeah if honey and the brown rice syrup are causing problems ditch them it could be from the large amount of simple sugars.

nice one on what you've added well done:). Like i say i wouldnt add the kola nut or guarana for the reasons above. You know your adrenals are getting better when you have more energy, less tired, better ability to handle stress, able to get up earlier in the morning, depending if you have any other adrenal/thyroid symptoms they would alleviate such as allergies.

power- what do u think of kola nut powder and gurana powder?

• bestynuanbestynuan Raw Newbie

i have no idea what is the taste of that yerba mate. I'd rather eat or drink raw food like maca. So I think powerlifer is correct. And how about chia seeds. it is also an energy booster food.

• jhiggins1122jhiggins1122 Raw Newbie

I'm brand new to this site. Powerlifer said a lot of things that describe me, I have hypothyroidism that's not been resolved & a holistic doctor recently told me I have adrenal fatigue & my liver is overwhelmed. I want to purchase some adaptogenic herbs and ashwaganda powder... You mention a link at the bottom, but I didnt find it. What link or store can you suggest for the best of those supplements? Im barely functioning. This is the worst Ive ever felt. Any help, I'd truly be grateful.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Hi, jhiggins, welcome to the site! I'm sorry to hear about your adrenal fatigue. I know it can be beyond exhausting. What have you tried so far? Powerlifer's link doesn't work any more undecided which is probably why it is gone.