Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Vegan sources of Vitamin D

Hi All,

I'm looking for a vegan source of Vitamin D (not the sun). I live in Seattle and the weather has been dismal.

Thanks!

Cami

Comments

• nsns

Check this out:

http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Dry-Vitamin-D-1000-IU-100-Tablets/1675?at=0

but what you probably need is vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), preferably in liquid form. I don't think there is a vegan source of D3 - it comes either from fish source or sheep's lanolin.

If you decide to take liquid D3, the following might be the best deal:

http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Answer-Vitamin-D-3-Drops-15-ml/20745?at=0.

Of course, please do your own research.

• nsns

From a google search I came across the following vegan source of D3:

http://www.upayanaturals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PRL-110

But look at the price.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Just been looking into this myself as tests have shown I'm deficient in vit D.

It's pretty hard trying to weight up which supplements to go for.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Go for vitamin D3 im not sure if its vegan though sadly ill look into it for you. Anythings better than having low D as it can contribute to many symptoms.

I was found to have low vitamin A, D and E but i had a problem breaking fats down, this was a long while back though. I had to fund the tests private as the NHS just didnt care to help other than offer anti-depressants, then when i showed them i asked for a retest for vitamin E and they said i couldnt have it because its not available on the NHS joke like.

• I'm new to this raw vegan thing...but I am really turned off by the whole supplement thing...I mean, if the diet is so healthy, why should we have to take supplements? (I'm seriously looking for an answer...not just trying to be negative.)

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

You could do D2 in a large dose like 5000 IU / day for a month, and then get your levels rechecked.

D2 is vegan for sure, 100%, then if it is normal, you could cut it back to say 2000 IU a day, once in the morning, once in the evening, and recheck 3-6 months later, and see if the d2 is doing the job.

I heard d2 isn't as good, but it can still be beneficial.

Or if you trust that there is a vegan d3 then try that.

I'm just interested on how they make vegan d3!!!!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

kimciotola, other than eating animal based products, vit D can only naturally be sourced from the sun. I live in the North West of the UK and have an office based job which doesn't allow for me to get enough sunshine.

I'm not a fan of supplements but since my menstrual cycle is screwed up (and I'm trying for a baby) and a lack of vit D may be linked to this, I'm willing to try anything.

(I also take B12 supplements because the risks just aren't worth it)

Powerlifter, I feel for you...the NHS can be a frustrating beast!

rawcanadian, thanks for your suggestion, I may just try that. I too was trying to figure out how they can make vegan d3 and this site may shed some light: www.gardenoflife.com/vitamin-code/d3/the-garden-of-life-process-of-growing-nutrients/tabid/1901/Default.aspx

I'd give them a go if they weren't so expensive.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

sv3- if you have a Lidl near you they have a fruit juice (tropical- no added sugar) that has B12 in it. It is called vitamix. I know about NW English weather lol.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Thanks greenwood, I do actually have some good B12 supplements but if I find myself near a Lidl, I may drop in. (If not only to pick up that huge bag of spinach you say they do!)

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

"kimciotola, other than eating animal based products, vit D can only naturally be sourced from the sun."

Then where does Vitamin D2 come from ???

Youranus??

LOL

jj

Suggest reading this link to find out more about vitamin D (which really isn't a vitamin):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d/NS_patient-vitamind

In pill form:

Vitamin D2 is vegan, Vitamin D3= Bloody Murder!!!!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

rawcanadian, you're right of course, I was referring to D3.

I'm taking D2 supplements and aiming to get out in the sun more (if it ever shows it's face!)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

haha, where do you live sv3?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I live in Manchester, England. You'd never know it was supposed to be summer here, its been grey and rained every day for the past 3 weeks. :-(

I love this city in so many ways but the sh*t weather does my nut in.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Haha scotland is just as nice and grey SV3. We can expect one sunny day a year if were lucky and some snow in the summer.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, I hear you powerlifer. Scotland is beautiful but it has it's downsides I guess. :-)