Can you overdose on potassium?

I know many people go on Banana Island and I've seen YouTube videos of people that eat up to 30 or even 50 bananas a day. The other day I ate 9 bananas throughout the day and a lot of my friends started saying I have to be careful I don't overdose on potassium. But I can't come up with a proper defence to this! I've shown them the videos of the healthy raw vegans eating tons of bananas but they just counter with "everybody's body is different". lol. Does anyone know of a good, thorough response to these non-believer friends of mine to put them in their place? I've tried Googling this but to no avail.

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I decided to look into this. I found a website that gives potassium info for high blood pressure, but has other info too. It talks about overdose, but more in relation to supplementation. What I found interesting is that there are many foods that are common in the raw vegan diet that are higher in potassium than bananas.

Check out their list :http://www.highbloodpressureinfo.org/foods-with-potassium.html

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

it depends how well your kidneys are excreting the excess potassium or hyperkalemia can occur.

Although hyperkalemia usually occurs with disorders of the kidneys.

Im still of the opinion there really is no sound reason why to eat 30 or 50 bananas a day, a little of something good doesnt mean excess is better.